BCMP GPA vs OVERALL GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've only got organic 2 left.. i'm all done with my prereqs, and i've got straight A's.. i took anatomy/physiology 1 and 2 and got B's, but all other sciences were A's.. my undergrad major was economics, so prereqs were my only SCIENCE gpa

SCIENCE gpa - approx 3.7
OVERALL gpa - guessing 2.9*
MCAT - taking in april

*graduated w/economics and a 2.6 overall.. guessing sciences brought it up

question: will admissions see i'm a reformed student? assuming i get an avg mcat score (mid 20's), will my long-ago past hold me back?

Members don't see this ad.

Science GPA is not BCMP. It's BCP as math is not included. Upward trends are definitely a plus. And a science GPA of 3.7 will make your app stand out. With your cumulative GPA I would be trying to get 27+. with the A's you received you should be capable of that. If your poor undergrad GPA is questioned in interviews/secondaries it would be nice to point out your recent grade trend AND your above average MCAT. Hopefully you received C's and higher for any behavioral science and english courses you are using to apply to med school.

With an average MCAT you'll be accepted to a DO school if you apply broadly.

chuckcamp said:
i've only got organic 2 left.. i'm all done with my prereqs, and i've got straight A's.. i took anatomy/physiology 1 and 2 and got B's, but all other sciences were A's.. my undergrad major was economics, so prereqs were my only BCMP gpa

BCMP gpa - approx 3.7
OVERALL gpa - guessing 2.9*
MCAT - taking in april

*graduated w/economics and a 2.6 overall.. guessing sciences brought it up

question: will admissions see i'm a reformed student? assuming i get an avg mcat score (mid 20's), will my long-ago past hold me back?

HunterGatherer said:
Hopefully you received C's and higher for any behavioral science and english courses you are using to apply to med school.

With an average MCAT you'll be accepted to a DO school if you apply broadly.
i'm not sure, but i think i got C's in my english classes.. i know i got a C in psychology and i retook sociology (1st got a D in it) and now have an A.. point being, i was a solid C student

what should i do this year off? work or take more classes-- like i said, i'm all done with sciences, and i COULD retake classes.. i dont know about you guys, but i think retaking economics classes are kinda pointless.. sure, they will replace my poor grades, but its a subject i have no interest in anymore and it does NOTHING in terms of proving how i'll perform in a medical grad school..

WORK or SCHOOL this upcoming year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im curious as to why you chose to major in economics when you performed so poorly in it, have no continual interest in it but performed so well in your core science courses? Why not choose a science major where you have excelled?

Im curious as to why you chose to major in economics when you performed so poorly in it, have no continual interest in it but performed so well in your core science courses? Why not choose a science major where you have excelled?

I'm guessing the OP doesn't care anymore.