Calculating overall gpa/matriculant GPA for schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fuzzball500

Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious to know how the avg matriculant gpa is calculated when schools post that their avg matriculant GPA is like 3.5. Do they combine the science gpa and cGPA or do they just post the cGPA? I'm asking because my verified cgpa is a 3.38 but my sgpa is a 3.85 and want to know exactly where i stand in terms of my GPA being avg or below avg.
502 mcat btw

Members don't see this ad.

I think the reported GPA would be the overall.
Most adcoms I've talked to say they put more weight on the sGPA though.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the reported GPA is the cGPA not the (cgpa+sgpa)/2?

Overall credits: 160 with a 3.75 cumulative GPA
Non-science: 120 with a 4.0 GPA
Science: 40 with a 3.0 GPA

The reported GPA is 3.75, not 3.5 like you asked

The "reported GPAs" are calculated by AACOMAS. The cGPA and sGPA that your undergraduate institution puts out may not be 100% accurate in terms of what admissions committees will see. Are the GPA values you shared from your AACOMAS portal or from your transcripts at your undergraduate institution?

To the best of my knowledge, in terms of what a school reports, they will share what AACOMAS has calculated for each of their matriculates. The value a school reports on their admissions page is typically cGPA. They will specify sGPA if they disclose that information.

The "reported GPAs" are calculated by AACOMAS. The cGPA and sGPA that your undergraduate institution puts out may not be 100% accurate in terms of what admissions committees will see. Are the GPA values you shared from your AACOMAS portal or from your transcripts at your undergraduate institution?

My GPA's were calculated and verified by AACOMAS (after i submitted my app). This is what they calculated:

cGPA:
Overall/ cumulative undergrad: 3.38
Overall science/ cumulative undergrad science: 3.85
Overall non-science: around 2.9

So I assume the reported GPA is the same as my overall/cumulative? (3.38) this is what is seen on the school reports?
Also, would i be autoscreened cuz of my non-science gpa?

A school will see all three GPAs and this will factor in to their decision.

Your 3.38 is what you can compare to other schools that share "average GPA" on their admissions page. I doubt you will be screened for the non-science GPA at any institution.

Reactions: 1 user