BCOM vs WCUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheesecakebro

Reaction score
Hello all, I applied incredibly late in the cycle to DO schools. I received 5 interviews: KCUCOM, LECOM, WCUCOM, CHSU, and BCOM (in that order). I was accepted to WCUCOM very quickly and paid my seat deposit there. Just yesterday, BCOM accepted me. I have been waitlisted at KCUCOM and CHSU, and LECOM hasn't said anything despite it being over 6 weeks since their interview.

I'm not holding onto much hope that I'll get off a waitlist anytime soon, so I'm leaning towards choosing BCOM. They want me to respond to their offer by the 20th and said something about how we're nearing the time where applicants need to officially commit to a school - is this true or are they just trying to pressure me into making a decision?

Of the five schools I interviewed at, how would you rank them? And between WCUCOM and BCOM, which do you think I should go for? Any thoughts in general regarding my situation would be much appreciated!

BCOM Pros:
- one of my friends is a current student there

BCOM Cons:
- seems to have a bad reputation
- high crime rate area?

WCUCOM Pros:
- Cost? (coming from a different thread)

WCUCOM Cons:
- is in rural Mississippi, which I've heard is kinda racist and not very diverse
- tornadoes?
- religious affiliation

If you can't tell, I'm very clueless when it comes to comparing these two schools. I'd love to hear anything and everything from data on exam pass scores, residency/clinical rotation opportunities, diversity, personal experiences, etc.!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I applied incredibly late in the cycle to DO schools. I received 5 interviews: KCUCOM, LECOM, WCUCOM, CHSU, and BCOM (in that order). I was accepted to WCUCOM very quickly and paid my seat deposit there. Just yesterday, BCOM accepted me. I have been waitlisted at KCUCOM and CHSU, and LECOM hasn't said anything despite it being over 6 weeks since their interview.

I'm not holding onto much hope that I'll get off a waitlist anytime soon, so I'm leaning towards choosing BCOM. They want me to respond to their offer by the 20th and said something about how we're nearing the time where applicants need to officially commit to a school - is this true or are they just trying to pressure me into making a decision?

Of the five schools I interviewed at, how would you rank them? And between WCUCOM and BCOM, which do you think I should go for? Any thoughts in general regarding my situation would be much appreciated!

BCOM Pros:

BCOM Cons:
- high crime rate area?

WCUCOM Pros:

WCUCOM Cons:
- is in rural Mississippi, which I've heard is kinda racist and not very diverse
- tornadoes?
- religious affiliation

If you can't tell, I'm very clueless when it comes to comparing these two schools. I'd love to hear anything and everything from data on exam pass scores, residency/clinical rotation opportunities, diversity, personal experiences, etc.!
I interviewed at BCOM and loved the school. The faculty and students were definitely welcoming and they are very mission-driven (if that suits you). Plus, I loved their proximity to many great outdoor activities, albeit I have heard that crime is higher in las cruces (compared to where I live now). There were a few red flags that swayed me away from them (for profit = lack of financial aid which is important for me, and their newness). However, If cost isn’t a concern (or equal between the schools), and you gel with their mission, they are definitely a solid choice. Can’t speak much for WCUCOM so hopefully someone else can chime in.

BCOM Pros:

BCOM Cons:
- high crime rate area?

WCUCOM Pros:

WCUCOM Cons:
- tornadoes?
- religious affiliation

I'm sure I am late to answer, I am a BCOM student at the moment. BCOM (for me personally) ranked above WCUCOM. In fact, I got an II at WCUCOM while already attending BCOM- it was funny.

I have no clue about WCUCOM tbh, so I will speak on BCOM only.

I do not experience crime here- but then again- I lock my doors, don't go out at night and do other generally safe behaviors. I have no clue about crimes here anecdotally.

I think people who say bad stuff about lack of emotional and mental support from BCOM had issues that arose that were not resolved to their liking. But I also had no mental health issues and did not even pay much attention when they mention mental health resources bec I know I am not going to use them.

They are new and we do not get MUCH financial aid from BCOM. You need specific requirements usually to meet, like commitment to work in Las Cruces/NM, write an essay etc. Almost none of their scholarships applied to me or my situation/liking. I think other schools give random money to students on merit or need, but not so much here in my experience.

Anyway, since I was late to reply, did ya chose BCOM or nah? Feel free to ask on SDN BCOM threads for better/faster responses next time. :)

BCOM is on Goro's bad boy list, they have an extremely high attrition rate, and I have heard some not soo good things about BCOM first hand via a resident on rotations in Hattiesburg lol, yea they had a few flashy matches, well soo did WCUCOM, but WCUCOM is the better more established program.

Members don't see this ad :)

BCOM Pros:

BCOM Cons:
- high crime rate area?

WCUCOM Pros:

WCUCOM Cons:
- tornadoes?
- religious affiliation

I am second year at CHSU, and I frankly love the school. There are some minor things that are expected with any newer program but as the inaugural class were kind of rolling out the kinks. Hopefully the inaugural class has solid board pass rates, that will kind of be the real indicator, but for the last two years I've loved the smaller classes, the TBL style, and the instructors are amazing.