WCUCOM vs WesternU COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychInt

Reaction score
I would appreciate any help in deciding between the two

WCUCOM
Pros
- Cheaper Tuition (47k)
- Cheaper Rent (Student Housing: 255/mo)
- True P/F (May be a con)
- Most of the hub site hospitals have their own residency programs

Cons
- In Mississippi: Requires moving, far from family
- Rotations at hubsites that likely require moving again (Most in the south, 1 in New York; some sites are application based)
- Have to start over in terms of research and volunteering

WesternU
Pros
- In CA: Less moving, closer to family
- Rotations in SoCal likely will not require moving
- I already have established volunteering and research activities in the area

Cons
- More expensive tuition (63k)
- More expensive rent
- Graded (May be a pro)
- Few rotation sites with residencies

Summary
If it matters, my overall career goals do not involve rural care and I hope to end up in CA later in my career.

Members don't see this ad.

Close to family with a more established school that isn’t in Mississippi.

Members don't see this ad :)
Close to family with a more established school that isn’t in Mississippi.
I was going to ask the OP: have you been to Mississippi?
My family (all doctors) keep encouraging me to go to WCUCOM except for my mother.
I am an international student from Asia and the only place in the US I have been in since I got here is SoCal.

My family (all doctors) keep encouraging me to go to WCUCOM except for my mother.
I am an international student from Asia and the only place in the US I have been in since I got here is SoCal.
Visit the schools first. If you only know the US through a SoCal lens, Mississippi will be very different. If you are not interested in rural medicine, stay at Western. Can't argue with mom.

Visit the schools first. If you only know the US through a SoCal lens, Mississippi will be very different. If you are not interested in rural medicine, stay at Western. Can't argue with mom.
As a current Carey OMS2, couldn't agree with this more. If I had had the option to stay in my home state up north, I would've in a heart beat. I love it here and have no regrets, but its definitely an adjustment, and if you have the option to stay in a consistent environment, I would.

Reactions: 1 users