BCPM Classifications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelkors15

Reaction score
Hey all,
Signing up for spring courses and was really interested in this course, Explorations in Human Biology, in our anthropology department. Based on this course description, does it sound like BCPM to you? Thanks in advance.

This course is an exploration of human biology from a biocultural and evolutionary perspective. The class will provide you with a better understanding of what it means to be human, how humans came to exhibit such a wide range variation, and what biological anthropology can contribute to your understanding of the world. In this class students will learn to integrate the theory and methods used in human biology research through lectures, assignments, and lab sessions. This course will explore topics including human genetics, growth and development, nutrition, disease, and reproduction. We will also use the course as an opportunity to introduce you to the important contributions of biological anthropologists to the study of race, inequality, sex and gender, and health among others.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't quite sound like it to me, but idk

Reactions: 1 user
Based on the class content, I think you should be able to classify it as BCPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed, but from from the description and the algorithm they use for initial BCPM it will be below threshold. It will be up to verifier's judgment
I would say they are probably a lucky bastard that it has the name biology in the name lolol

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,
Signing up for spring courses and was really interested in this course, Explorations in Human Biology, in our anthropology department. Based on this course description, does it sound like BCPM to you? Thanks in advance.

This course is an exploration of human biology from a biocultural and evolutionary perspective. The class will provide you with a better understanding of what it means to be human, how humans came to exhibit such a wide range variation, and what biological anthropology can contribute to your understanding of the world. In this class students will learn to integrate the theory and methods used in human biology research through lectures, assignments, and lab sessions. This course will explore topics including human genetics, growth and development, nutrition, disease, and reproduction. We will also use the course as an opportunity to introduce you to the important contributions of biological anthropologists to the study of race, inequality, sex and gender, and health among others.
It sounds like an anthropologist's perspective on biology/evolution. I wouldn't classify it as BCPM; these classes are more math-based.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
With no evidence to back this up, I would think that the course ID would be used to determine if a course is BCPM in the majority of cases i.e. BIOL 1234 means it counts as biology. The AMCAS applications I have seen for several of my mentees have included ethics/pedagogy courses with course IDs as CHEM/BIOL in BCPM.

Edit: Just reread an earlier post, so adding that BCPM includes mathematics.

• Dislike
When they review courses for BCPM, is it just a quick check at what department the course falls under, or do they actually appraise the course content as well?

When they review courses for BCPM, is it just a quick check at what department the course falls under, or do they actually appraise the course content as well?
They literally are going off the title of the class

Biology 101 was not "math based" where I took it lol
There are a lot of equations in biology 1 and 2, for example population equations, genomics, etc.

See this

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trolling. Let's agree to disagree! (unless YOU are trolling)

The difference here is that you are giving advice to pre-meds about a topic that you are clearly and demonstrably misinformed about.

Pre-meds reading this: the above poster is wrong, a class does not have to be math-based for it to count as BCPM.

• Okay...
The difference here is that you are giving advice to pre-meds about a topic that you are clearly and demonstrably misinformed about.

Pre-meds reading this: the above poster is wrong, a class does not have to be math-based for it to count as BCPM.
That's not what I was saying. If you read above, I said "these classes are more math-based." By "more," I meant "they tend to be," as you may be able to infer. Chemistry--heavy in math. Physics--heavy in math. Math--well, that's obvious. Biology--there's plenty of equations to choose from. BCPM means just what it sounds like--biology, chemistry, physics, or math.

Let's not fight over semantics, shall we?

I agree, we should not argue about semantics but we should be precise with our words, especially when it comes to advising anxious premeds who have a tendency to read into things. I suppose I would agree with you that many classes that fall into BCPM classification involve math, but math content is neither necessary nor sufficient to rule in or rule out BCPM classification.

Pre meds reading this forum: math should not be your litmus test as to whether a class counts as BCPM or not. There are plenty of biology classes that never touch on math that absolutely should be classified as BCPM.

\thread

I agree, we should not argue about semantics but we should be precise with our words, especially when it comes to advising anxious premeds who have a tendency to read into things. I suppose I would agree with you that many classes that fall into BCPM classification involve math, but math content is neither necessary nor sufficient to rule in or rule out BCPM classification.

Pre meds reading this forum: math should not be your litmus test as to whether a class counts as BCPM or not. There are plenty of biology classes that never touch on math that absolutely should be classified as BCPM.

\thread
I would argue that every biology class should be classified as BCPM
/thread :D

Sometimes it’s okay and good to take a course because you want to take it. Doesn’t matter if “it’s counted” or not. If you are interested and have time in your schedule or you can rearrange some other classes, take it. And maybe you’ll end up having it “counted”.

I literally never even thought about BCMP classifications until like I was literally doing amcas. Y’all need to chill and do less

• Haha
Sometimes it’s okay and good to take a course because you want to take it. Doesn’t matter if “it’s counted” or not. If you are interested and have time in your schedule or you can rearrange some other classes, take it. And maybe you’ll end up having it “counted”.
Absolutely, but that is not my question

Absolutely, but that is not my question
Sometimes it's based on the department that gives the course and the name of it as it appears on the transcript.

If you want a definitive answer, it is best to contact the admissions office before you even apply and ask if it counts for their pre-requisites.