BCPM GPA Calculation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicToMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone clarify which courses are counted as science/BCPM calculations when calculating your BCPM GPA?

Before I started my undergraduate program, I took a year and a half of paramedic school at a community college. After I finished, I worked (still currently working) as a paramedic while I finished my undergrad. I was able to transfer and use my paramedic course credits toward my my undergraduate. These courses (in paramedic school) are all science based courses (biology, A&P, chemistry, etc...) and included labs, however, on my transcripts and under the course descriptions, they are listed simply as "Paramedic I, II, III..." and "Clinical I, II, III...".

Do I count these in my BCPM? Can I count them in my BCPM? Has anyone had similar experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it could go either way. They're legitimately bio courses since they cover biological topics, but they also aren't quite bio courses in the sense of university courses. If you did well in your paramedic courses and want the GPA bump, you can list them as BCPM. The worst thing that'll happen is that AMCAS reclassifies them.

Thanks. It seems it could go both ways to me too. I'm just not sure of the proper protocol.

LizzyM.....any offerings?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it could go either way. They're legitimately bio courses since they cover biological topics, but they also aren't quite bio courses in the sense of university courses. If you did well in your paramedic courses and want the GPA bump, you can list them as BCPM. The worst thing that'll happen is that AMCAS reclassifies them.

This is what I would probably do especially if they are all A's.

Agreed. Seems like the common thought.

Worth a shot. Honestly, it doesn't bump my sGPA that much but I will probably add them as such and see what happens. To me, they are biological sciences; but, my opinion is only important to me.