BCPM GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atorres

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do survey courses count as part of BCPM GPA? I haven't been able to find a definite answer. I'm also wondering about a class called Practical Math that is offered at my school, a developmental course that does not count toward the 120sh graduation requirement. It's a class that is required of incoming students who's weakness is math. I would love to hear any thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Do survey courses count as part of BCPM GPA? I haven't been able to find a definite answer. I'm also wondering about a class called Practical Math that is offered at my school, a developmental course that does not count toward the 120sh graduation requirement. It's a class that is required of incoming students who's weakness is math. I would love to hear any thoughts.

The survey course may be BCPM if it's curriculum aligns with BCPM objectives. I would classify the practical math as a BCPM class.

Note that the AACOMAS audit will determine if they will be included as BCPM.

Also keep in mind that Math courses are not a part of AACOMAS science GPA. They are obviously still included in your overall/cumulative GPA, but for your science its pretty much just physics, chem, bio.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found the "science" GPA can really differ for AMCAS, AACOMAS and TDMAS. In freshman year I had a very low grade on my trig/algebra class, but recovered later and got A's in calculus. The low freshman grade dragged down my BCPM grade for AMCAS. But AACOMAS doesn't count math at all in their formula, and Texas does count math but nothing below calculus, so my "science" GPA's were much higher for Texas and osteopathic schools.

Yea it can be a pretty dramatic difference. Between the retake policy and the BCPM grade stuff I was not even remotely in the running for MD schools (like 0.5 gpa points lower for CGPA and SGPA). But my AACOMAS grades are higher than the averages of every DO school thus making me a really competitive applicant. Its pretty remarkable how they do things.