BCPM GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narayann

Reaction score
I am looking to complete my prerequisites to apply to medical or pharmacy school. I had a question in regards to the BCPM GPA. My undergraduate GPA was 3.0 but my BCPM is a 2.2 with 30-35 credits I believe and I believe it will take 40 credits to bring it to a 3.0. Can anyone confirm if it is necessary to bring the cumulative BCPM to a 3.0 for most schools or if it would not matter as long as I have a high postbacc GPA? Additionally has anyone been accepted or interviewed at particular schools and if you could name them with a 2.8 or 2.9 BCPM GPA? Obviously increasing the BCPM GPA would have me at a 3.1 or 3.2 cumulative GPA. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking to complete my prerequisites to apply to medical or pharmacy school. I had a question in regards to the BCPM GPA. My undergraduate GPA was 3.0 but my BCPM is a 2.2 with 30-35 credits I believe and I believe it will take 40 credits to bring it to a 3.0. Can anyone confirm if it is necessary to bring the cumulative BCPM to a 3.0 for most schools or if it would not matter as long as I have a high postbacc GPA?
This will be school-specific. Wayne State says that they look at the last to years of your academics. Other schools have a hard GPA cut-off.
Additionally has anyone been accepted or interviewed at particular schools and if you could name them with a 2.8 or 2.9 BCPM GPA?
A fair number of DO schools.
Obviously increasing the BCPM GPA would have me at a 3.1 or 3.2 cumulative GPA. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
This will be school-specific. Wayne State says that they look at the last to years of your academics. Other schools have a hard GPA cut-off.

A fair number of DO schools.
This ^^^. It's true that some schools have a hard 3.0 cutoff, but there is not going to be a practical difference between 2.9 and 3.1 at most schools.

By far, your best shot will be at schools that reward reinvention (like Wayne State), and will focus more on your post-bacc work than on your uGPA, whatever it ends up being. Definitely study @Goro's guide to reinvention and go from there.

Reactions: 1 user
get your GPA up as much as you can and make sure to apply to as many schools as possible. I would personally heavily apply to DO schools. While schools like Wayne State do reward reinvention, they receive close to 10,000 applicants per cycle. Maybe its even more, i'm not sure. And each year, it gets more competitive. I'm not trying to discourage you from applying, do the best you can, but make sure to go in with an open mind and don't go into the cycle with any expectations. Sometimes you'll get what you want, other times things might not work in your favor. Just be open to everything and don't get discouraged if certain things happen certain ways. It's all part of the game that is medical school admissions. It can really test your self-worth. Try not to let it affect you and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user