BCPM!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

together

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

Mean GPA of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics. This much I know. Now, does every course, as defined by the undergraduate institution, count for each component of the BCPM GPA average? For example, if I took a course registered as a Bio course, does the grade I get in that course get factored into the calculation of my "science GPA" as defined by AMCAS? Put simply, do you count other science grades and NOT just prerequisite grades when calculating this average? Also, do all of your science grades, including the classes that you have have taken more than once, get averaged as well?

Any information would be appreciated.

Together

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, ALL science/math courses you take are included in your BCPM GPA, not just prereqs. I'm not sure, however, how it works with classes that you retake.

In AMCAS, all courses taken are averaged no matter if they were a retake or not. Those that were retakes are indicated as so. If applying to AACOMAS, only the most recent grade counts on retakes.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Members don't see this ad :)
Becket, RichieRich,

Thanks for the update.

So, AACOMAS does NOT include the grades from past science courses that you have retaken into their calculation of your BCPM GPA?

That is correct. However it is noted that you have retaken the course and it displays what grade was recieved.

richard

What bout if you took an anatomy course or a biochem course? They are still science courses, only they're not entitled "biology", "chemistry", "physics" or "math" at my university anyway

These courses are usually offered by their respective departments. For instance, the biochemistry class at my University is offered jointly through the Chemistry and Biology departments. You have the option of registering for Bios 452 or Chem 452. Things like anatomy I would imagine are offered through the biology department. At least it was at my University. Maybe it's different at yours? I don't know how you would deal with that though.

Imtiaz

Originally posted by moo:
What bout if you took an anatomy course or a biochem course? They are still science courses, only they're not entitled "biology", "chemistry", "physics" or "math" at my university anyway

At my university, courses like gross human anatomy and histology are offered by the department of anatomy, which itself is not a part of the college of arts and sciences. We have a separate department of biochemistry (and also a department of microbiology and immunology) that's not a part of biology or chemistry. I would think they would count toward your SGPA, since they are, when it boils down to it, science courses but I want to be sure.