BCPS Spring 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dumditi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to form a study group .. please message if interested. Need to start ASAP!
TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who’s retaking an exam in fall receive approval yet? I’m still waiting…
Not yet. I believe they said it will be about 20 days after the closing date ,08/09/21. I registered right after I received the result.
Btw, I would like to review with a small group (2-3) of retake candidates. Please inbox me your email if you are interested. I can inbox my email to you, if you want.

Following- Im due for recertification. congrats to all the successful candidates

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I have a friend who is. Which study material do you recc?
I tried accp but I think they are too comprehensive and they should be read as a whole and used as a reference. This is time, I might add the question bank of HYMR as practice questions the month before exam.

I scheduled my BCIDP retake today: Sept 29, but it would only let me chose remote proctoring. That should be interesting. Anyone take with remote proctoring?

I guess I don't have to get stressed by traffic.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'm reviewing my notes and using stat pearls. I feel like I know the ACCP stuff cold. I have a 2018 edition of the ACCP material that has a few additional sections that I think are helpful, judging by the last exam. The domains are shifting this time (more therapeutics and less biostats and practice management). I'm not sure if that will be helpful or make it worse. I will email you!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm reviewing my notes and using stat pearls. I feel like I know the ACCP stuff cold. I have a 2018 edition of the ACCP material that has a few additional sections that I think are helpful, judging by the last exam. The domains are shifting this time (more therapeutics and less biostats and practice management). I'm not sure if that will be helpful or make it worse. I will email you!
Let's keep in touch and share what we have. I only have 2018 accp materials and my last exam experience for now

Do you recommend remote testing or test center?
I would not do remotely. Any technical difficulties may happen, including losing power or internet. If it happens at the testing center, there’s people to help or even reschedule, if needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would not do remotely. Any technical difficulties may happen, including losing power or internet. If it happens at the testing center, there’s people to help or even reschedule, if needed.
You are absolutely correct. Thanks for the advice.

Hi, any stewartship scenarios or recommendations? Email:[email protected] please

SIDP has a whole stewardship certification. I really doubt it's necessary for the BCIDP though. I was thinking about taking it if I passed. I may take it when I finally pass just for the resume entry. I thought the ACCP info was enough, but I know a lot of stewardship stuff already. We're always trying to meet those government goals.

I did decide to take the ACCP five-hour stats course. I have a master's in biostatistics, but maybe that just made me overconfident and I need to nail in these BPS specific stats. It's still almost 50% of the test. If you can nail that, you only have to get about 10% of the other stuff to pass most years. I've only done Dr. Segers portion, but it did make me think of the tests in a more granular fashion. It has over 200 stats questions with it, which I think is helpful. I've only done the first set and they're the easier ones, but I'm hoping it helps me pick up on the tricky wording in some of them (because I have missed some reading too quickly and skipping the key terms - Segers points out some key terms to look for).

SIDP has a whole stewardship certification. I really doubt it's necessary for the BCIDP though. I was thinking about taking it if I passed. I may take it when I finally pass just for the resume entry. I thought the ACCP info was enough, but I know a lot of stewardship stuff already. We're always trying to meet those government goals.

I did decide to take the ACCP five-hour stats course. I have a master's in biostatistics, but maybe that just made me overconfident and I need to nail in these BPS specific stats. It's still almost 50% of the test. If you can nail that, you only have to get about 10% of the other stuff to pass most years. I've only done Dr. Segers portion, but it did make me think of the tests in a more granular fashion. It has over 200 stats questions with it, which I think is helpful. I've only done the first set and they're the easier ones, but I'm hoping it helps me pick up on the tricky wording in some of them (because I have missed some reading too quickly and skipping the key terms - Segers points out some key terms to look for).
I felt Stewartship questions and scenarios on the test were so hard and were not provided in ACCP materials!

I scheduled my BCIDP retake today: Sept 29, but it would only let me chose remote proctoring. That should be interesting. Anyone take with remote proctoring?

I guess I don't have to get stressed by traffic.
I took my BCIDP exam in May with remote proctoring. I passed. Make sure the room you take the test in is clear of everything except the basics-a desk and a chair. They allow some paper and writing utensils. Do not leave the view of the camera at anytime (except when permitted). You will have to show them the entire room with your computer camera (under chair, under desk, the ceiling, the floor, the walls...everything! You will have to empty your pockets, etc.). Good luck.

Taking the test Sep 2021, see lots of comments on here consistent with my peers assessment of May exam.

been using ACCP material. Although several notable guideline changes occurred since 2020 print (ie std updates, c diff, etc.)

Are these updated guidelines fair game on fall2021 exams?

advice?

Taking the test Sep 2021, see lots of comments on here consistent with my peers assessment of May exam.

been using ACCP material. Although several notable guideline changes occurred since 2020 print (ie std updates, c diff, etc.)

Are these updated guidelines fair game on fall2021 exams?

advice?
I only had one classical question about C.diff, and no STDs. I would just focus on pneumonia updates.

I bought that course. There was no 200 question

They released passing rate percentages for each specialty. BCPS was one of the lowest 55% this year . The passing rate for last Spring was 70%.

• Sad
They released passing rate percentages for each specialty. BCPS was one of the lowest 55% this year . The passing rate for last Spring was 70%.
Looking at the passing rate through years, is that getting harder and harder :(. I wonder how many people pass it at 1st try.

also, may I ask if I am supposed to memorize the commonly used equations and risk scores like Cockroft-Gault or Chadsvacs? I depend so much on MDcalc in my daily practice that the idea of memorizing those risk score really is frightening

Last edited:
Looking at the passing rate through years, is that getting harder and harder :(. I wonder how many people pass it at 1st try.

also, may I ask if I am supposed to memorize the commonly used equations and risk scores like Cockroft-Gault or Chadsvacs? I depend so much on MDcalc in my daily practice that the idea of memorizing those risk score really is frightening
Overall pass rate for BCPS has been pretty consistent throughout the years. Initial pass rate heavily depends on whether applicant has done a residency. Initial pass rate is almost 90% if you have a residency.

I bought that course. There was no 200 question
They are in one of the handouts. There are three sections of questions: what kind of data, which test to choose, and then some calculations.

Overall pass rate for BCPS has been pretty consistent throughout the years. Initial pass rate heavily depends on whether applicant has done a residency. Initial pass rate is almost 90% if you have a residency

[Thinking out loud] If overall pass rate is 90% with a residency, and the vast majority of Fall BCPS examinees are folks with residencies, then the pass rate would be substantially higher. What was your source?

I just hate that the dang thing is curved.

I just re-took BCIDP and I feel like the changes in domain content made it easier this time (but maybe it's because I studied all the weird stuff). Last time I felt like it was ALL weird stuff. I'll tell you that when two of the weird things I studied popped up, I was overjoyed.

I still could have failed (I know I missed 2 that I guessed on), but it felt more like BCPS where you think it's at least fair.

Anyone know how the curve works for BCIDP, asking for a friend…
It's my impression that the "curve" works differently for every test period. I think they look at each question separately and determine the weight (it's scaled). Some years a 50% is passing and others a 65% is, etc. That's why it's easier when an exam is new (everyone told me to take the BCIDP in 2018 when it came out, but I did not. I thought about it). It's not so much a "curve" where a certain number of people pass, but they do curve some questions based on responses, guideline updates, and perceived fairness.

It's a criterion-based "curve," not a norm-based curve so it's not necessarily going to result in a bell curve.

Last edited:
I just re-took BCIDP and I feel like the changes in domain content made it easier this time (but maybe it's because I studied all the weird stuff). Last time I felt like it was ALL weird stuff. I'll tell you that when two of the weird things I studied popped up, I was overjoyed.

I still could have failed (I know I missed 2 that I guessed on), but it felt more like BCPS where you think it's at least fair.
What are your recommendations? topics?any repeats? [email protected]

It's my impression that the "curve" works differently for every test period. I think they look at each question separately and determine the weight (it's scaled). Some years a 50% is passing and others a 65% is, etc. That's why it's easier when an exam is new (everyone told me to take the BCIDP in 2018 when it came out, but I did not. I thought about it). It's not so much a "curve" where a certain number of people pass, but they do curve some questions based on responses, guideline updates, and perceived fairness.

It's a criterion-based "curve," not a norm-based curve so it's not necessarily going to result in a bell curve.
Thanks for everything. How did you do this time?

Did not pass the BCGP with a 495. Lol. I took my BCPS in 2018 and passed on the first attempt (thank God!) and thought the BCGP exam went okay. I guess I have to study something else. I used meded101 videos and question bank to study.
Pleased to update that I passed on the second try. Officially double board certified (hello PSAPssss!). I think what got me on the first attempt was the social issues that I didn't really pay attention to. I used meded101 as my primary study source. Videos and handouts were very helpful and up to date. Good luck everyone.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Well to be honest, no Qbank I've experienced (ACCP, ASHP, HYMR, Stat Pearls) are super close to BPS style questions given the latter are so silly/random at times. However, I feel the more you know, the more you can reason through a question. At least, that's my hypothesis as to how I passed the BCIDP on my first try and I left feeling demoralized. : ) I've taken three of these exams now and thankfully passed each time but I gain insight with each examination as how to best study and my theory is that more is better (more being more in volume and from more sources). I know that seems like a "duh" thing, but most people just choose one review course and go with it, but I feel variety is a better approach. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed! This almost feels like it a business chain - from study material campanies to BCP. One doesn't release too much info on their exam questions and each source only provides one aspect/a little bit info that can help you pass the exam.