Bcps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngmc11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you to study for BCPS? How did you approach it? Any advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the BCPS exam fee qualifies as a tax deduction? I am pretty sure the CE qualifies, but not sure about the exam itself.

I just bought the CGP material, it's pure crap. First off, they give you the lecture slides only but for some of them, they give it to you in PowerPoint note format, you know the one with the 3 slides on the left and the lines on the right. The lecture has 300 slides, I don't want to print that crappy format out. I rather have the slides alone. Also, the video is just a video of them flipping through the slide, NO AUDIO, I asked, it says it in the page, i thought my speakers werw busted until it dawned on me. WtH, so all they give you is slides and they don't give you a study book and not even a lecture, they can just read the slides to me but no, it's just a video of slides. Pure wastw of money. Just pissdd away almost 400 for the ASCP membership and test material.

Well, then I don't know what to do. I asked my prof who taught us geriatric 14 years ago, and he told me that it's an easier exam compared to BCPS/BCACP. That's what he heard. Now I don't know what to do. I don't want to spend that much money and not get at least some decent notes to study for the exam. I can't handle lame notes. :wtf:

This may be a stupid question.....but will we ever be able to find out how we did in each domain of the test? I'm thinking not......

It's not a stupid question. I want to know, too. I took the BCACP and I want to know how badly I did on public health and policies and procedures since I didn't study for it. I skipped the last 2 chapters. :grumpy: I hope they'll let us know eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll report back after I take the test and let you know how it compares to the bcps, my fear is that they made it harder, the only reason I take the tests is because my work pays for it, 600 per test and then more for the study material is rediculous.

Don't you feel that the cgp is not a worthwhile test, I'm taking it because of work reasons but bcps is way more prestigious too.
I got my CGP when I was doing nursing home consulting in between hospital jobs. It was valued there, but I've never worked a hospital that thought it was worth much. However, like yours, my hospital will pay for the exam if I pass. So it seems kind of silly to let it go, if I can be somewhat sure I'll pass. I'll be looking forward to your report after your exam.

I just bought the CGP material, it's pure crap. First off, they give you the lecture slides only but for some of them, they give it to you in PowerPoint note format, you know the one with the 3 slides on the left and the lines on the right. The lecture has 300 slides, I don't want to print that crappy format out. I rather have the slides alone. Also, the video is just a video of them flipping through the slide, NO AUDIO, I asked, it says it in the page, i thought my speakers werw busted until it dawned on me. WtH, so all they give you is slides and they don't give you a study book and not even a lecture, they can just read the slides to me but no, it's just a video of slides. Pure wastw of money. Just pissdd away almost 400 for the ASCP membership and test material.

Hey moolman! How about this book?
Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics 7/E (LANGE Essentials) [Paperback]

Hey moolman! How about this book?
Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics 7/E (LANGE Essentials) [Paperback]

A bit overboard, I don't think we need to know that much.

I'm just going to review their crappy notes and just hope for the best.

I got the email to schedule the date.

Last edited:
A bit overboard, I don't think we need to know that much.

I'm just going to review their crappy notes and just hope for the best.

I got the email to schedule the date.

Are the notes good? I don't really want to spend that much money for some crappy notes. :annoyed: I would rather read a book. Let me know. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, there's no rush but I've been busy, i got everyone's PM and will go through and invite everyone. The first CE will be the Critical and Urgent Care PSAP to be released by ACCP on Jan 15th.

I haven't bought it yet. I'm still trying to figure out which book to buy. There are way too many out there! :annoyed: Did you like the one that you bought?
It hasn't arrived yet. Can your librarian order a couple for you, so you can see which one you like, maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a stupid question. I want to know, too. I took the BCACP and I want to know how badly I did on public health and policies and procedures since I didn't study for it. I skipped the last 2 chapters. :grumpy: I hope they'll let us know eventually.
Hi there,

I'm thinking about taking BCACP this coming April. I was wondering what materials you used to study? Please let me know. Thank you SO much!

Hi there,

I'm thinking about taking BCACP this coming April. I was wondering what materials you used to study? Please let me know. Thank you SO much!

I bought the books and CD from ACCP. I listened to the lectures twice and read the 2-volume prep course twice. Please don't skip the 2 chapters on policies & procedures and humanistic outcomes. Know the tx guidelines and you'll pass the BCACP with flying colors! ;)

Do you mean ashp is a better materials to prep for the exam? Are there lots of stats?
ThAnks!

Thank you!
Know your biostatistics/study designs. It's 15% of the exam, I think. Good luck! :thumbup:

Did you finally get your book? How do you like it?
It finally arrived just a day or so ago! Maybe the ASHP people were all busy at Mid-Year.

I haven't gotten to read anything beyond the list of authors yet. I did take it to work with me tonight, though, which was silly. Of course I never got enough time to open it. I'm hoping to get into it this weekend. (Actually, what I'm hoping for is that moolman posts an announcement telling me that the test is still crazy easy, and I don't have to study after all. LOL)

I'll let you know on Monday what I think of it.

It finally arrived just a day or so ago! Maybe the ASHP people were all busy at Mid-Year.

I haven't gotten to read anything beyond the list of authors yet. I did take it to work with me tonight, though, which was silly. Of course I never got enough time to open it. I'm hoping to get into it this weekend. (Actually, what I'm hoping for is that moolman posts an announcement telling me that the test is still crazy easy, and I don't have to study after all. LOL)

I'll let you know on Monday what I think of it.

Thanks a bunch! ;) I'm also waiting for moolman to take his exam first. :D

Well, I'm only using the ascp study material, PM me and we can discuss it, if anybody else is interested in the CGP material, we can split it, I'm not down with the multiple sharing selling crap.

Just the review package (CEs) from ascp then? Please let me know if it helps after your exam. GOOD LUCK! :)

I thought the ACCP was too much material and the ashp was more to the point. PM me, we can discuss further
I thought the ACCP was too much material and the ashp was more to the point. PM me, we can discuss further

Dear Moolman, could you pls PM me so I know how to reply you by PM. Still trying to learn system but could not figure out how to PM. Is there any limitation by using iPhone for this?

Thanks!

What did those that passed use to study? There's so much to use. I was thinking about using the High Yield Med Review. Was thinking about attending ASHP summer meeting for a course but that's kind of expensive. I want to start studying soon.

I studied the ACCP 2013 Updates in Therapeutics books and mp3s, as well as the Clinical Pharmacist's Guide to Biostatistics and Literature Evaluation. I feel like the stats book and lecture helped me the most. I began studying when I received my materials at the end of June, which was 12 weeks prior to my exam date. I passed with a comfortable buffer.

I studied the ACCP 2013 Updates in Therapeutics books and mp3s, as well as the Clinical Pharmacist's Guide to Biostatistics and Literature Evaluation. I feel like the stats book and lecture helped me the most. I began studying when I received my materials at the end of June, which was 12 weeks prior to my exam date. I passed with a comfortable buffer.

Well, I'm only using the ascp study material, PM me and we can discuss it, if anybody else is interested in the CGP material, we can split it, I'm not down with the multiple sharing selling crap.
So, how was the CGP exam?

How was the exam? Was it tough?