Bcps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngmc11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you to study for BCPS? How did you approach it? Any advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It isn't a curve in the strict sense where you have a bell curve and the better others do the higher the pass line becomes. So if everyone bombs the test , the pass line doesn't become so crazy low number.

I hope you remembered to write KY on your score sheet to make sure you pass... wait are we not suppose to talk about the in public.

LOL, i think they all know who the KY members are from the national data base. We are brothers for life.:)

From the reactions of everyone so far, this test was very difficult. I too took the 2012 exam and i actually thought 1st half of the test went pretty well for me. LOL then 2nd half of the test came after lunch. and WOW, it was different and difficult. I thought i ate something wrong for lunch. LOL 2nd 1/2 of the test was sobering experience for sure. i just wish i did well enough, that's all.
I was told by a friend of mine that took the test 3 years ago and passed, that everybody does alot of Guessing on this exam, and that's just the way it is. It is that tough. So guys just relax and don't think about the exam for next 2 month. :):xf:
Thank you for your replay ,

Excatly that is what is going on with me :):) and im trying to get it out from my mind and stop thinking for two month ,thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
for people who took the MOCK exam, was it helpful??

I think it is very helpful. but with me, i only looked at like 12 questions and had to stop. I needed to spend more time studying other clinical topics. I should have spent more time looking at those questions in hindsight.

Thank you for your replay ,

Excatly that is what is going on with me :):) and im trying to get it out from my mind and stop thinking for two month ,thank you for your advice.

to be honest with you, i don't mind taking the exam again. but only i worry about is those vulchers at work place that will snicker and laugh if you don't pass the exam. You see, last year was one of the LOWEST passing score of 111 and many people passed. from my work place, 4 people took the exam and they all passed and one of those folks was and is Complete Idiot and incompetant pharmacist and even that person passed. so This year if i don't pass, that clown will say "hey i must be smarter than you". :rolleyes:
Of course, this idiot has no idea how lucky he was last year. and this year could be completely different and passing score could be much higher. Does anyone else have this dilemma at work ? :(

The percentage of people passing has been the same or close hasn't it. So hopefully with the large amount of people that took the test this year, passing score will be low again.

Mock exam was not helpful in the sense that the questions are not the same... Haha... Format isn't quite right either in the way they ask questions compared to the test. I would guess I saw 5 questions that helped me on the test by asking about the close to same thing but that is just dumb luck, you have 200 questions you're bound to find similarities. The mock exam is good to get used to a long test and just what it says, test your knowledge of random pharmacy crap that is the BCPS.

Mock exam was not helpful in the sense that the questions are not the same... Haha... Format isn't quite right either in the way they ask questions compared to the test. I would guess I saw 5 questions that helped me on the test by asking about the close to same thing but that is just dumb luck, you have 200 questions you're bound to find similarities. The mock exam is good to get used to a long test and just what it says, test your knowledge of random pharmacy crap that is the BCPS.

Moolman, i think the mock exam was pool of questions that they used 5-6 years ago. Now they won't use it anymore and new questions are written each year but that is why you find such similarities. I do regret not going over the entire mock exam though. It is definitely a help and make you understand how difficult the test really is.

I spent hours memorizing asthma and COPD guidelines and application of it and they asked very few questions from it. LOL

The mock exam that I'm talking about is the ACCP one, where they tell you it is written by BCPS pharmacist but not by the test writers. They are independent from each other.

Moolman, i think the mock exam was pool of questions that they used 5-6 years ago. Now they won't use it anymore and new questions are written each year but that is why you find such similarities. I do regret not going over the entire mock exam though. It is definitely a help and make you understand how difficult the test really is.

I spent hours memorizing asthma and COPD guidelines and application of it and they asked very few questions from it. LOL

That could be said about every topic, I'm sure all of us memorized the new CHEST guidelines down to the T... Enough said.

That could be said about every topic, I'm sure all of us memorized the new CHEST guidelines down to the T... Enough said.

Luckfully for me, i already knew most of the chest guidelines since i work in ICU alot.:) but reason i thought there were going to be alot of questions from Asthma and COPD was that these are brand spanking new guidelines and last year my friend told me there were TONS of questions from ambulatory care section. oh well.

and how do you get that Cool KY logo ? I am lifetime KY member since from the days when it was ALL guys frat with girls being Little sisters like they are supposed to be. LOL

Well, I was implying the same thing, I too studied the new Gold COPD guidelines and the CHEST guidelines because those two were the major changes that happened last year... Where did get us... Exactly...

I really forget where the KY logo is from, I think you just put it in the options, I'm replying from my phone hence the spelling mistakes and I can't check how I did it.

Not all the KY chapters are co-ed.....mine wasn't and still isn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ACCP mock exam was ok. It gave you an idea your level of content mastery across the whole test. Of course, the questions aren't going to be identical but the general topics and main ideas are same. But, the majority of mock exam questions are straight-forward and if you even kinda know the material you can reason your way through it. The real test goes a lot deeper and requires you to understand the material really well and/or remember tiny, possibly obscure, details.

The ACCP mock exam was ok. It gave you an idea your level of content mastery across the whole test. Of course, the questions aren't going to be identical but the general topics and main ideas are same. But, the majority of mock exam questions are straight-forward and if you even kinda know the material you can reason your way through it. The real test goes a lot deeper and requires you to understand the material really well and/or remember tiny, possibly obscure, details.

But actually the 1st half of the test, i thought was easier than the mock exam. but the 2nd half of the test was different story. There was much more trickery and deception involved and was much more difficult and really made you think LONG and HARD. which really gave problems with TIME limit. i finished early on 1st half then i was running behind in the 2nd half of the exam. kind of odd.

I think on the 2nd half of the exam, it might be almost better to guess wrong, then you have better chance of getting the right answer, if that makes sense. LOL:)

to be honest with you, i don't mind taking the exam again. but only i worry about is those vulchers at work place that will snicker and laugh if you don't pass the exam. You see, last year was one of the LOWEST passing score of 111 and many people passed. from my work place, 4 people took the exam and they all passed and one of those folks was and is Complete Idiot and incompetant pharmacist and even that person passed. so This year if i don't pass, that clown will say "hey i must be smarter than you". :rolleyes:
Of course, this idiot has no idea how lucky he was last year. and this year could be completely different and passing score could be much higher. Does anyone else have this dilemma at work ? :(

This post completely made me smile ;) Of course I can't say much until I change my username and picture on the left, but you get my drift ;).

But actually the 1st half of the test, i thought was easier than the mock exam. but the 2nd half of the test was different story. There was much more trickery and deception involved and was much more difficult and really made you think LONG and HARD. which really gave problems with TIME limit. i finished early on 1st half then i was running behind in the 2nd half of the exam. kind of odd.

I think on the 2nd half of the exam, it might be almost better to guess wrong, then you have better chance of getting the right answer, if that makes sense. LOL:)

And see I thought the first part was harder and almost ran out of time (didn't do the review of what I thought of the exam at the end) but had time leftover on the second half. Not sure I really thought it was easier or was in the eff it mood on the second half and was just OVER it. We'll see.

This post completely made me smile ;) Of course I can't say much until I change my username and picture on the left, but you get my drift ;).

I understand. It is unfortunate that i just happen to work in this kind of environment. Most of the people will be OK and be supportive. but there are these few pharmacist that are ironically the worst ones that will snicker and try to use it against you. Unfortunately as i was talking before, this idiot i am talking about is the clinical co-ordinator. Yes yes, i know, how did he get the position if he is so incompetent ? we have a director that is just not good at hiring people and he thought this man would grow into the position, but it didn't happen. and just became very spiteful and twisted when he couldn't gain the respect from his staff pharmacists.
and i am just afraid he is going to try to use this against me someway if i don't pass. since he got lucky and passed the 1st time.

Last edited:
And see I thought the first part was harder and almost ran out of time (didn't do the review of what I thought of the exam at the end) but had time leftover on the second half. Not sure I really thought it was easier or was in the eff it mood on the second half and was just OVER it. We'll see.

Yes, perhaps everyone is different. depending on what area we practice in the hospital and our past experiences, i supposed one part could be easier but not for others. :) Also i hadn't taken a exam like this in a long time and that hurt me somewhat in managing my time in the 2nd half. I do regret not just sitting down and doing the entire 200 mock exam like a simulation. I would recommend this definitely for all those who hasn't taken a exam like this in more than 10 years.

The consensus with my friends and those around me were that the 1st test was much easier, we all thought we had a chance to pass during lunch then we got the punch in the face back to reality called the 2nd exam.

The consensus with my friends and those around me were that the 1st test was much easier, we all thought we had a chance to pass during lunch then we got the punch in the face back to reality called the 2nd exam.

Don't worry, my brother. I hope we both passed this time around and probably did. but if not, i am 99.999% sure we will both pass next year. I know some really smart people who was in Rho chi in school and are clinical professors at UCSF that didn't pass the 1st time they took it. so it really does depend on the year and what BCPS does on that particular year.
It is actually in best interest of the BCPS to pass most people that takes the exam. Medical board of examiners does the same thing.

Hey I'm kappa psi and female!! Lol ;). If there's anything I've learned the past 13 yrs of practice is that the profession could benefit from some management courses. Not company created but MBA type. Specifically organizational behavior.

Hey I'm kappa psi and female!! Lol ;). If there's anything I've learned the past 13 yrs of practice is that the profession could benefit from some management courses. Not company created but MBA type. Specifically organizational behavior.

You are a smart lady. I couldn't agree more.

Already tired of waiting and it'll still be another month.:mad:

Don't worry, be happy. Remember it is just another test.
Anyhow, my so called clinical manager is at it again. He has a track record of giving his staff wrong information about 80 % of the time. and now noone on the staff trusts him or has any credibility to what he is saying most of the time. but here is the kicker. Now he is trying to get back at his own staff(especially those few he doesn't like) by saying, that is bad customer service, and we must trust him no matter what. Has anyone had to work under such clinical co-ordinator before ? What do you call this kind of God Complex ?:eek:

One of my colleagues took BCACP this past October and said that she called BPS. She was told they they are utilizing a different source/service this year for grading so the process may be quicker and she may receive her result faster than 60 days. I do not know if this is the same for BCPS test takers...crossing my fingers!

I was told the same. The rep also mentioned that they are looking into possibly emailing results (but not 100% sure what will happen). *Fingers crossed*

One of my colleagues took BCACP this past October and said that she called BPS. She was told they they are utilizing a different source/service this year for grading so the process may be quicker and she may receive her result faster than 60 days. I do not know if this is the same for BCPS test takers...crossing my fingers!

What does little faster mean ? 5 days, 10 days or 14 days ? does it really make that much difference ? If you learn that you passed little earlier, then would that make a big difference in our lives ? Is that a big cash award at the end of the rainbow ?

Ok guys, so how early is faster result ? 1 week, 2 weeks ?

Already waited too long and today I stumbled the thought of becoming board certified in geriatrics?! I must be insane and wait to pass bcps (and pray) before I attempt another!!

i have the same problem but with a small defference ,im working with my friend as a clinical pharmacists ,however other two staff (pharmacist staff) did the exam with us and i will be soo iunlucky guy if they passed and me not.
just wish me luck!!!!!

I was told the same. The rep also mentioned that they are looking into possibly emailing results (but not 100% sure what will happen). *Fingers crossed*

Anybody got the results yet ? supposed to be coming early this year from santa ?

No, not here! Yes, I'm also getting nervous! Happy holidays;) or Sad holidays;( ??
Last year it looked like 11-25 is when others posted receiving the results!

No, not here! Yes, I'm also getting nervous! Happy holidays;) or Sad holidays;( ??
Last year it looked like 11-25 is when others posted receiving the results!

for which boards ? pharmacotherapy one doesn't mail out the result til Dec 2nd, I was told.

Last year the thread stated that results were mailed the Wednesday before Thanksgiving (23rd) and people received score results as early as the 25th. Anyone called to see if they are mailing them out today? Eek

No not yet here. I called BPS a week ago to change my address and was told I will receive my score in early December. We did take the exam a few days later this year compared to last year. They took it Oct 1st last year.

I called BPS yesterday and they have our letters printed (so no change of addresses allowed at that point). They stated they were going to mail it out sometime this week and hopefully we all get it by the end of the week. The closer you live to DC, the sooner you will get it.

I called BPS as well-- they have received scores for oncology and pharmacotherapy so far. Hope to have Amb Care results by tomorrow. The representative disclosed that the min passing score for the BCPS exam this year was 122. He did not have results for the other exams.

Yikes! Im scared! I thought I had a chance if it was last year's cut off of 111, but now with 122?! I would hate to be that "I did not pass by 1 point person"! Good luck all!