Be prepared for the fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMST

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm a PGY3 who has matched into cardiology.
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations about how to be better prepared for the fellowship? elective Cardiology/CCU rotation? any book to read? ekg, echo, cath, guidelines?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys
I'm a PGY3 who has matched into cardiology.
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations about how to be better prepared for the fellowship? elective Cardiology/CCU rotation? any book to read? ekg, echo, cath, guidelines?
Thanks

Enjoy the rest of your medicine rotations. A good cardiologist is a good internal medicine doctor first and foremost.

Cardiology consults and CCU are good electives. If you are able to float some Swans in the CCU, that's an added bonus. Don't worry too much about the rest, that's what fellowship is for.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone finishing week 1 of my consult rotation (List fluctuates between 22-26 patients), working from 5 am to 7 pm.... AND I happen to have a black weekend this weekend.

Dude. Enjoy your damn 3rd year. You'll learn on the job.

As much as these hours blow... when you take a perfect story to the cath lab with negative trops and no EKG changes and everyone is annoyed with you, and it's a 100% LAD; It's all worth it

If you love cardiology, you'll absorb and learn through osmosis like you did in residency.

Be a good clinician, do whats best for the patient, and yes, be a good internist; half the time your consults are non-cardiac issues with cardiac side effects and so you have to educate them on what's going on from the medicine side of things. Remember, in fellowship, you're a board certified Hospitalist (assuming you pass ABIM)

Reactions: 1 users
study for medicine boards
That is most important thing
However can look at all ACC/AHA guidelines to have some knowledge on basic management strategies in A. fib, valvular heart disease, nstemi, stemi, heart failure, ppm/icd etc

Reactions: 1 user