Beard or no

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shave or keep beard?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maybeDRmaybenot

Reaction score
I wanted to know if I should shave or keep my beard. I got it trimmed (<5mm) and lined up by my barber yesterday. My picture in my secondary had a trimmed beard. The school is my top choice and in the south. I look much better and mature with the beard than clean shaven.

Members don't see this ad.

My brother is at the part of the schools student interviewers and he said it was fine, but his roommate who’s also a student said I should shave. I’m split so asking here for help to decide.

Bro just do what makes you feel best. If someone rejects you based on A BEARD then you probably don't wanna be going there.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if i were you i would prob just play it safe and shave. you never know I guess what type of interviewer you will get

Reactions: 2 users
I wanted to know if I should shave or keep my beard. I got it trimmed (<5mm) and lined up by my barber yesterday. My picture in my secondary had a trimmed beard. The school is my top choice and in the south. I look much better and mature with the beard than clean shaven.
I too love my facial hair, however, I know people who absolutely hate facial hair and others are neutral to it. But no one I know hates people who are clean shaven. Thus, I shaved for my interviewers. I disliked it, but alas I can regrow it!

Reactions: 1 users
Rip the beard. Imma shave.
Y’all right no reward high risk in keeping it

Reactions: 4 users
We mustache you to shave to be on the safe side.

*finger guns for puns

Okay, I'll see myself out.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I debated this for mine but I shaved. Luckily enough it grows back in like a month. Either just make sure it looks clean or shave it

For residency interviews at least almost half the men had facial hair, and it was mostly neatly trimmed. I don't think it matters as long as it looks neat enough.

Depends on how good it looks (at least for me)

My skin is horrible, so I had a beard in my interviews that was very well-kempt and it was not a hindrance. But ive been growing a full beard for like over a decade so it was not patchy or otherwise thin.

So much is based on how well kept it is. If you are like 20/21 with a natural babyface, it might make sense to not look like you just came from prom. I was one of those people who looked way younger shaven so I got mine trimmed and kept it presentable.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutors
Med School Tutors

Though not the same, this thread reminds me of one where the OP said s/he was an adcom and would reject any applicant not donning a double windsor!

To the OP, I think you have already decided to shave. Go with it. Do what will keep you happy and confident. Good luck with your top choice.

Had a beard for half my interviews and was shaved for half mine. Had a beard for my Vita, and was shaved for my interviews (at two MD schools; still pending decisions though). One of my current acceptances had a beard, the other acceptance I was shaved. I genuinely do not think it matters; just don't psych yourself out about it (and if you are going too I would just shave it).

Edit: That being said, one of my interviews I did have a beard during was LECOM... that may have been a mistake lmao, we will see.

Trimmed beard for all of my interviews and I don't think it has hurt me.

I assume the interview is virtual and OP will be in their own home? I don't know if any schools are doing in-person interviews this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Mea culpa. I forgot most schools were doing virtual interviews.