Become a Naturopathic Physician and Owe $499K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
“Myth #9: Naturopathic doctors are not trained as primary care doctors.
Licensed naturopathic doctors work in primary care settings across North America and are able to manage most outpatient concerns typically seen in primary care practices. Naturopathic doctors learn to treat all aspects of family health and wellness, from pediatric to geriatric, acute colds and flus, to chronic aches and pains.”

Yikes

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting read

I like #9. They don't even do a residency how are they trained to be PCPs. This is not even close to safe. Kind of like a 4th year medical student licensed to practice medicine independently lmao absurd claim

“Myth #9: Naturopathic doctors are not trained as primary care doctors.
Licensed naturopathic doctors work in primary care settings across North America and are able to manage most outpatient concerns typically seen in primary care practices. Naturopathic doctors learn to treat all aspects of family health and wellness, from pediatric to geriatric, acute colds and flus, to chronic aches and pains.”

Yikes
Wow. Some professional organization should go after them for that bc that’s straight up a lie.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Naturopathic doctors and homeopaths are not the same. In addition to being trained in all the naturopathic therapies, naturopathic doctors are also trained in homeopathic medicine. It is one of many tools available in the naturopathic tool belt. "

This is probably the most discrediting thing they have in that list. I'm actually surprised they would want to associate with that.

Reactions: 1 user
"Naturopathic doctors and homeopaths are not the same. In addition to being trained in all the naturopathic therapies, naturopathic doctors are also trained in homeopathic medicine. It is one of many tools available in the naturopathic tool belt. "

This is probably the most discrediting thing they have in that list. I'm actually surprised they would want to associate with that.

They are ideologues, not scientists. The fact that they even have homeopathy present as a “legitimate” treatment modality negates their previous countergument against the “myth” that naturopathy is in no way scientific. The amount of myopathy to reality in such an organization is astounding.

They are ideologues, not scientists. The fact that they even have homeopathy present as a “legitimate” treatment modality negates their previous countergument against the “myth” that naturopathy is in no way scientific. The amount of myopathy to reality in such an organization is astounding.
So after watching the ZDoggMD interview with the ex-ND. She stated that at Bastyr they took 3 homeopathy classes and they get around the wording (demonstrated in the myths link) that they science based because that means it just has to be plausible, that there is a potential mechanism; not that there is actual evidence to back up the claim

Reactions: 2 users
I like #9. They don't even do a residency how are they trained to be PCPs. This is not even close to safe. Kind of like a 4th year medical student licensed to practice medicine independently lmao absurd claim
A 4th year actual medical student is far better equipped than a ND to practice primary care. Neither should be practicing independantly, but ND is basically premed level or below as far as I am concerned.

I feel like I am reading the AOA with Naturopath substituted for Osteopathic Medicine. This deserves a lawsuit honestly.
I got this same exact thought. The only difference is we have a true rigorous curriculum minus the OMM. Plus most students aren’t believers and are trained in real medicine

Reactions: 2 users
Its the same thing with chiros claiming theyre equipped to be PCPs. Ludacrous. Ive actually been to chiro school and if its anything like ND school which i assume it is that would be scary to even think about. A chiro in my town says hes most of his patients primary lmao

Last edited:
“Naturopathic doctors offer natural therapies to treat dysplasia and HPV directly, and to help the body’s immune system fight the virus. In doing so, naturopathic doctors may reverse low grade cervical cell abnormality and eliminate HPV. Naturopathic doctors treat low- and mid-grade dysplasia with a combination of lifestyle modification, therapeutic diets, nutrient and botanical therapies, and local treatment of the cervix. Specific therapies are individualized to the patient based on their diagnosis, emotional, and physical constitution. Nutrient and botanical therapies may include:
  • Folic acid8
  • Indole-3-carbinol9,10
  • Antioxidants11,12
  • Vitamin C13,14
  • Green tea extract15
  • Coriolus versicolor16
  • Curcumin17
  • Methyl B1218
Local cervical treatments may include:
  • Vaginal suppositories consisting of green tea and/or curcumin, which draw infection out of the cervical cells and boost the immune system.19,20
  • Escharotic treatment, which uses natural enzymes and herbal solutions to remove abnormal, damaged tissue and stimulate the regrowth of normal tissue. This treatment is performed two times per week for approximately six weeks.21,22
Thousands of patients have safely benefited from this treatment, but larger clinical studies are needed.

Link: AANP - American Association of Naturopathic Physicians: Natural Medicine. Real Solutions.

Not only was I surprised that ND’s are doing Paps, apparently green tea vaginal suppositories is a thing!

Edit: grammar

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Admittedly I did talk him into by reminding him of the actual scope of practice a DO has, and mentioning that his soon newborn might want daddy to practice in the same state as grandma (ND's only have practice rights in Arizona, which is still one state too many). I also showed him the DO philosophy stuff that every other profession likes to steal (i.e. treating the whole patient). It was a long process, but he was my friend and I didn't have it in me to let him goto Bastyr and ruin his life.

Also thanks for the succinct statement of why it was luck, I think you described it much better than I did.

If only the bolded were true. Actually, in terms of ND practice rights, there are numerous states that license them to be PCPs and almost full on practicing "physicians":

"-U.S. jurisdictions that permit access to prescription drugs: Arizona, California, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.
-U.S. jurisdictions that permit minor surgery: Arizona, District of Columbia, Kansas, Maine, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, and Washington."

By the way, this list has actually grown in the last 7 yrs or so. I too had a friend who wanted to pursue ND, and tried to convince him otherwise. The truth is that he had no interest, absolutely 0, in practicing medicine. He was into the philosophy of naturopathy hook, line, and sinker. Like clockwork, when he hit his 3rd year he started marketing these "remedies" that he patented on social media. It was honestly painful to watch.

A 4th year actual medical student is far better equipped than a ND to practice primary care. Neither should be practicing independantly, but ND is basically premed level or below as far as I am concerned.

This is further exemplified by the ex-ND that was on ZDogg. She has her own blog - Naturopathic Diaries. She basically became a real physician and scientist and actually tells people about the ridiculous things she learned and experienced, things that she believed at the time. She also tells about how schools basically equated her ND coursework to undergrad coursework, and ultimately when she started graduate and doctoral level courses, she understood why.