Becoming a Competent Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theartfuldodger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm a long time lurker on SDN, and haven't made too many posts. However, I've found the advice of so many people here helpful that I thought I would post a topic that I am personally struggling with at the moment.

I'm currently a second year medical student, finishing up his last module before embarking upon the infamous dedicated studying period for Step 1. In my previous system (skin and MSK), I received the first C of my medical school career in terms of final class grades. My school follows a typical A/B/C/F system and they really shove grades down our throats and tell us that our pre-clinical grades will determine how well we do on Step 1, e.t.c. I've done relatively decent up until this point with mostly As, and a couple Bs. I was definitely troubled by my C for a few days, but have moved past it to just try and do better. The problem is that after receiving such a grade, it made me start pondering my future as a physician. Nobody has really explained to me before how pre-clinical grades and knowledge of basic/clinical sciences translates over to being an actual doctor. I believe myself to be a kind, compassionate, and empathetic person, as well as an excellent team player and that is definitely the type of doctor I want to be. But what if I'm too incompetent to diagnose an adequate amount of patients in the future? It's just hard for me to understand at the moment the correlation between my academic knowledge of disorders and disease processes for instance and my effectiveness and ability to cure/assist patients as a doctor

I apologize for sounding ignorant, but this is a topic I've honestly never had explained to me before by anyone I know and thought I'd throw it out to SDN for some advice. Thank you very much for your time in reading this post.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you're above average, so unless you believe greater than half of physicians are incompetent... Assuming you continue to perform as you are you'll be fine.

As far as

"It'sjust hard for me to understand at the moment the correlation between myacademic knowledge of disorders anddisease processes for instance and my effectiveness and ability to cure/assist patients as a doctor"

Really? It's hard to see how knowing the manifestations, sequelae, associations, and treatment of a disease process are related to your ability to cure and assist patients? I'm all about the importance of compassion and whatnot in medicine, but if you only want to attend to that stuff, being a physician isn't really the right career path

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got mainly Bs and Cs in my first two years of medical school and the many of my clerkship comments were "performs at a level above his peers" or "his knowledge base is more than the typical 3rd/4th year." one C and you will be fine.

Let me tell you how much you know about being a doctor... Zero nada zilch. It's gonna be awhile before you even come close to having clinical skills, so for now just focus on doing better in your preclinicals

Let me tell you how much you know about being a doctor... Zero nada zilch. It's gonna be awhile before you even come close to having clinical skills, so for now just focus on doing better in your preclinicals
Good to know med school iisn't a complete waste of time. Wonder why shortcut programs (NP, PA) exist when 50%+ of med school is useless.

Good to know med school iisn't a complete waste of time. Wonder why shortcut programs (NP, PA) exist when 50%+ of med school is useless.

It's not useless, it provides a good foundation for developing those clinical skills, but taken in isolation aren't very relavent to doctoring. Just my opinion.

My point is op should take things one step at a time

Jeez you sound like you got an F. This is a wake up call to study more efficiently/smartly not reevaluate your career choice.

I'm currently a second year medical student, finishing up his last module before embarking upon the infamous dedicated studying period for Step 1. In my previous system (skin and MSK), I received the first C of my medical school career in terms of final class grades. My school follows a typical A/B/C/F system and they really shove grades down our throats and tell us that our pre-clinical grades will determine how well we do on Step 1, e.t.c. I've done relatively decent up until this point with mostly As, and a couple Bs. I was definitely troubled by my C for a few days, but have moved past it to just try and do better. The problem is that after receiving such a grade, it made me start pondering my future as a physician. Nobody has really explained to me before how pre-clinical grades and knowledge of basic/clinical sciences translates over to being an actual doctor. I believe myself to be a kind, compassionate, and empathetic person, as well as an excellent team player and that is definitely the type of doctor I want to be. But what if I'm too incompetent to diagnose an adequate amount of patients in the future? It's just hard for me to understand at the moment the correlation between my academic knowledge of disorders and disease processes for instance and my effectiveness and ability to cure/assist patients as a doctor

you know all of those classmates you've been beating on your exams? they're all gonna be doctors too. you're ahead of the curve. stop worrying.

Old joke, but still true:

What do they call the guy who finished last in his med school class?

"Doctor"

Hello all! I'm a long time lurker on SDN, and haven't made too many posts. However, I've found the advice of so many people here helpful that I thought I would post a topic that I am personally struggling with at the moment.

I apologize for sounding ignorant, but this is a topic I've honestly never had explained to me before by anyone I know and thought I'd throw it out to SDN for some advice. Thank you very much for your time in reading this post.