Becoming a dental assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jellyfish_Jellyfish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a little over a year of free time. I will start studying for my DAT in January. In the meantime I'm debating if I should become a dental assistant. There is a 12 week program near my house. I think it would give me some great experience and once I'm done I can begin working in a Dentist's office for the rest of year.

Is this a good idea? What do you think?

All the best,

JJ

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is a good idea - you can pick up some very useful information from being on the inside of the dental office, apart from looking at what dentist does

I have a little over a year of free time. I will start studying for my DAT in January. In the meantime I'm debating if I should become a dental assistant. There is a 12 week program near my house. I think it would give me some great experience and once I'm done I can begin working in a Dentist's office for the rest of year. Is this a good idea? What do you think? All the best,JJ
And just think, you can always brag how you were the best in your class. You know, competing with peers- some with and some without a high school education.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Some offices take in and train dental assistants without you having to go through the certification. I know bc I just got my job this way haha.

If there isn't one nearby willing to do this, I think it's a good plan!

I have a little over a year of free time. I will start studying for my DAT in January. In the meantime I'm debating if I should become a dental assistant. There is a 12 week program near my house. I think it would give me some great experience and once I'm done I can begin working in a Dentist's office for the rest of year.

Is this a good idea? What do you think?

All the best,

JJ

Check if your state requires certification for dental assistants.....

If your state does not require certification, then just learn "on site".

If you are going to pay $2-4k, then it might not be worth it.....

Check your local craigslist or dentist to see if hiring....

Check if your state requires certification for dental assistants.....

If your state does not require certification, then just learn "on site".

If you are going to pay $2-4k, then it might not be worth it.....

Check your local craigslist or dentist to see if hiring....

I believe my state, Arizona, does require certification for dental assistants. A quick google search shows that there are multiple schools that can get me certified in about 12 weeks. Craiglists adds showed that almost all dental office were looking for dental assistants with experience and familiar with dentrix, etc. So it looks like I will be pursuing dental assistant training.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
I believe my state, Arizona, does require certification for dental assistants. A quick google search shows that there are multiple schools that can get me certified in about 12 weeks. Craiglists adds showed that almost all dental office were looking for dental assistants with experience and familiar with dentrix, etc. So it looks like I will be pursuing dental assistant training.

Thanks everyone!

You are going to learn a lot