Becoming A Nurse Then A D.O.?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngelaChanel34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having a conversation with a friend and she told me since I would need a way to support my family while I am going through school, I should look into becoming a Nurse with a 2year degree that way i could gain knowledge and experience. I would have a job at a hospital and it's only two years, I can get a BSN or a B.A. in something else that would interest me. I think this sounds like a good plan but is it really? She is a Nurse and she says she can pick her hours and the pay is great and I am already a Tech in Critical care at a magnet hospital. But I have never heard of a Nurse becoming a Doctor? does this make sense or would it be a slly waste of time. I figure it is a good way to get a career in the mean time and I will be taking needed science classes correct or is it different for a Nurse and a Pre-Med? She is just being helpful cause I am 33 and have two kids to support has anyone ever heard of this? Is it a possiblity or should I really just put my energy in becoming a D.O.?:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

deleted.

Last edited:
THANK YOU! I thought this in the back of my mind but did not say it anyway. I will focus on Medical School. I know my friend means well.

Its largely a myth about salary, the first year RN is only making 50k in critical care area. The high salary rumor comes from if you are willing to take agency work with no benefit and only if you have accumulated at least two years experience. It'll be great if you intend to do nursing for a life time. But if you want to make some money and go to medical school, you have already wasted so much time on training in school, working as a newbie, five or six years might have passed by the day you are a veteran nurse and can make some real money while medical intern despite low salary, is worth 40k a year.

I think it depends on where you work. Where i work pays less than the state i used to live in and new grads at my hospital make over 60k in medsurg. They actually increased our pay during the course of the year. I don't think my hospital pays more for ED.

To the OP. I'll go with the advice given by this poster. nursing isn't a cake walk as stated and it wouldn't help u on the mcat. Unless you need to make the money, then i'll stay on course. i didn't want to take out loans or have any debt. if u can take loans, stay on course and get into med school early.