becoming cardiology w/o interest in cath/interventional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
to graduate in cards fellowship and apply for board certification, do u have to do a certain number of cardiac catherizations or procedures? what if u don't have an interest in doing diagnostic caths or interventional caths, and just wanted to do general cards or imaging? any links? any programs don't don't stress interventional aspect? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

to graduate in cards fellowship and apply for board certification, do u have to do a certain number of cardiac catherizations or procedures? what if u don't have an interest in doing diagnostic caths or interventional caths, and just wanted to do general cards or imaging? any links? any programs don't don't stress interventional aspect? thanks.

inasmuch as there are procedural criteria for internal medicine certification (by ABIM), there are minimal core requirements for general cardiology. most good programs go well beyond the minimal volumetric criteria of COCATS (Core Cardiology Training Symp). these include, but are not limited to: ECGs, ECHOs, diagnostic caths, etc.

even if you have no interest in performing invasive procedures, you have to have a high degree of familiarity that only comes with hands-on experience. for example, as a non-invasive cardiologist, you will often be asked for a second opinion, and you should not trust anybody's interpretation of an angiogram (like, what if the left main is foreshortened, hiding a critical lesion?). sorry, but you will have to do the caths like all of us. in the end, you will be glad you did.

FREIDA lists "Cardiovascular Disease" and "Interventional Cardiology" as two different categories. Does that mean non-interventional vs. interventional?

Members don't see this ad :)
FREIDA lists "Cardiovascular Disease" and "Interventional Cardiology" as two different categories. Does that mean non-interventional vs. interventional?

'Cardiovascular Disease' is probably the general cardiology fellowship, and "Interventional Cardiology" the subspecialty fellowship after gen cards. so you are literally correct.

p diddy

Thanks for the info. I was confused by the listing. I suppose that the reason it's listed that way is because the sub-fellowship is Matched via the NRMP, and because it's competetive?

There are plenty of other sub-fellowships that are not listed on FREIDA (eg. interventional pulmonology). Or.... maybe it is listed because the ACGME accredits Interventional Cardio fellowships, whereas, other subfellowships are not accreditied by the ACGME.

So, does that mean that a fellowship in CV disease needs to be completed before one can apply to Interventional Cardio... or can one apply for Interventional Cardio right out of IM residency.
I'll try and look at some programs and see what the requirements are.

Thanks for the info. I was confused by the listing. I suppose that the reason it's listed that way is because the sub-fellowship is Matched via the NRMP, and because it's competetive?

who knows.

So, does that mean that a fellowship in CV disease needs to be completed before one can apply to Interventional Cardio...

yes.

p diddy