Becoming father in intern year

Started by pedstar09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pedstar09

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I am currently a 4th year medical student, ready for the match. I have no idea where I might end up!

So, I and my wife think that we are ready to have a family and have a kid. I have also heard that the end of the 4th year is the "best" time to have a kid. Let's say we have a baby in next winter, which would be about 5-6 months in intern year. What might be some of the consequences of that?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
 
There's no 'good' time but some times are more difficult than others. Second year will likely be better for both of you and may allow you to be more present for you wife both before and after the baby is born. If there are any problems during or after pregnancy (I sincerely hope there aren't) it will be tough to be emotionally and physically there.

Also check and see what the paternity leave situation is where you match. This will affect you and your class when you take off time.

I'm not saying don't do it, but you need to be aware of all the possibilities. If you match close to your or your spouse's home it may be very doable during intern year. If you are across the country it may be tough. Also consider child care. It can be expensive and the wait list may be quite long.
 
It's certainly doable but don't expect it to be easy. There are so many unknowns when it comes to having a baby.

Definitely find out how your program handles paternity leave as soon possible. It would be good to sit down with your program director and/or coordinator to get the details about time off, FMLA, schedule swaps, etc. If you are considering fellowships, it will be important to find out how much time you can take for paternity leave and still complete residency on time. If the baby is born earlier in residency, you may be able to "borrow" vacation time from subsequent years, but I think that every program probably handles these things differently.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My wife and I had our first child August of intern year... I've only ever known residency with a baby. She's sort of our residency classes mascot ha-ha. It's very doable. My wife is very understanding and a fantastic mother, and my program is unbelievably easy going. I think the stars have to align somewhat, but it can work just fine.

For context (it wasn't as easy as I make it seem)
- my daughter had a 5 day PICU stay second year for bronchiolitis while I was in the trauma ICU
- my wife had emergency surgery my 3rd year while in the neuro ICU
- we have 1 car.... I've spent many nights sleeping in our call room

All that said, its doable!!
Feel free to PM me if you need any advice
 
Hi everyone,
I am currently a 4th year medical student, ready for the match. I have no idea where I might end up!

So, I and my wife think that we are ready to have a family and have a kid. I have also heard that the end of the 4th year is the "best" time to have a kid. Let's say we have a baby in next winter, which would be about 5-6 months in intern year. What might be some of the consequences of that?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

I agree with above comments - it's absolutely doable but having a first child is not going to be easy (unless you have support from family). My wife and I are expecting with our second child and I know it's going to be tougher for us since we both will be interns. She is due in May so that part is fortunate. We don't know where we would be matching... But, we would like to match to where either of our family is nearby. If it did not work out, then we will have some time to figure out. Both my mother-in-law is willing to move in with us for our kids so that's one less thing to worry for us.
 
Hi everyone,
Thank you very very much for very encouraging and amazing inputs. I will make sure I see my PD once I find out where we end up!
It is an exciting time to be a 4th year, an intern, a father and a working man! 🙂

Thank you!
 
Hi everyone,
Thank you very very much for very encouraging and amazing inputs. I will make sure I see my PD once I find out where we end up!
It is an exciting time to be a 4th year, an intern, a father and a working man! 🙂

Thank you!

deleted
 
Last edited: