Been lurking, finally decided to post

Started by lovebu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lovebu

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

First of all, I find it hilarious and a little scary that there's quite a bit of trolling going on around here. LOL.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way with, I would like to tell you all my story, maybe get some advice. I am going onto my 4th year of college. I will be transferring from a community college to a university in the fall in California. My plan was to attend nursing school. I have all my prereqs done. However, I have been wait listed for every program I have applied to, despite having nothing below a B. As you can imagine, I'm really frustrated & I have been thinking about switching majors. Now, pharmacy is something I have ALWAYS been interested in doing, but the calculus and physics classes scared me off. I have never taken either class in my life. Now that I'm a little older, I honestly feel like I can do it.

If I decide to go through with pharmacy, I will basically be starting all over again. I know it will take me another 3 years to earn a BS in bio. That's 6 years of college, not counting how long it will take if I get accepted to pharm school. I was hoping to get my BSN in those 3 years & live happily ever after. -__- I also have people telling me "If you can't get into nursing school, there's no hope for you in pharmacy." Is this true? Am I only reaching for a pipe dream? I have to admit that I had NO clue nursing was this tough to get into or I would have done something different, even though I feel I've done the best I could. I'm planning on re-applying to my school's nursing program for next fall. I'm also in the middle of getting my CNA license. I want to keep my options open, but pharmacy sounds so much more tempting.

What happens if you get a few B's in your prereqs for pharm schools? I found out at one school's BSN information session that having a B severely hurt you. Is this the same for pharmacy school? I have been looking at the requirements for a few schools in my state and have seen that they have more requirements, such as interviews, essays, etc. This is all fine. I am just worried about what type of grades I truly need. Is it ok to have a few B's? Or should I aim for all A's? How about the job prospect? My boy friend tells me that his company is always looking for pharmacists. He is the store manager of a drug store (please don't tell me how much working for a drug company sucks. A job is a job).

I would love to hear about everyone's experiences with getting into pharmacy school & finding a job after. Thanks! 🙂
 
What have you majored in that used up 3+ years of school, yet gives you pretty much 0 credit for a Bio major? I would think that someone going as a Nursing Student would be taking a good bit of Bio classes.

As for your change to Pharmacy...I say go get some experience and make sure it is what you want. Also I find it odd that you let 2 classes stop you from doing your dream, since you said you always wanted to do Pharmacy.


I dunno though...this post kinda stinks like a troll post.
 
Hello everyone!

First of all, I find it hilarious and a little scary that there's quite a bit of trolling going on around here. LOL.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way with, I would like to tell you all my story, maybe get some advice. I am going onto my 4th year of college. I will be transferring from a community college to a university in the fall in California. My plan was to attend nursing school. I have all my prereqs done. However, I have been wait listed for every program I have applied to, despite having nothing below a B. As you can imagine, I'm really frustrated & I have been thinking about switching majors. Now, pharmacy is something I have ALWAYS been interested in doing, but the calculus and physics classes scared me off. I have never taken either class in my life. Now that I'm a little older, I honestly feel like I can do it.

If I decide to go through with pharmacy, I will basically be starting all over again. I know it will take me another 3 years to earn a BS in bio. That's 6 years of college, not counting how long it will take if I get accepted to pharm school. I was hoping to get my BSN in those 3 years & live happily ever after. -__- I also have people telling me "If you can't get into nursing school, there's no hope for you in pharmacy." Is this true? Am I only reaching for a pipe dream? I have to admit that I had NO clue nursing was this tough to get into or I would have done something different, even though I feel I've done the best I could. I'm planning on re-applying to my school's nursing program for next fall. I'm also in the middle of getting my CNA license. I want to keep my options open, but pharmacy sounds so much more tempting.

What happens if you get a few B's in your prereqs for pharm schools? I found out at one school's BSN information session that having a B severely hurt you. Is this the same for pharmacy school? I have been looking at the requirements for a few schools in my state and have seen that they have more requirements, such as interviews, essays, etc. This is all fine. I am just worried about what type of grades I truly need. Is it ok to have a few B's? Or should I aim for all A's? How about the job prospect? My boy friend tells me that his company is always looking for pharmacists. He is the store manager of a drug store (please don't tell me how much working for a drug company sucks. A job is a job).

I would love to hear about everyone's experiences with getting into pharmacy school & finding a job after. Thanks! 🙂

It sounds like nursing is really where your heart is, and that you're only considering pharmacy because you haven't been accepted to Nursing school. Have you looked at factors as to why you haven't heard back yet? Applied late, low TEAS test score, didn't apply to many programs? You could look into pharmacy, but if I were you and I wanted to become a nurse, I'd re-apply instead of looking elsewhere first. I also don't think it'd take you 3 years to finish the pharmacy pre-reqs. If you're concerned about time, you can get the pharmacy pre-reqs done within 2 years and apply then.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What have you majored in that used up 3+ years of school, yet gives you pretty much 0 credit for a Bio major? I would think that someone going as a Nursing Student would be taking a good bit of Bio classes.

As for your change to Pharmacy...I say go get some experience and make sure it is what you want. Also I find it odd that you let 2 classes stop you from doing your dream, since you said you always wanted to do Pharmacy.


I dunno though...this post kinda stinks like a troll post.

I have majored in nothing. I have been at community college for the past 3 years. I guess I wasn't clear enough or something... Nursing and bio majors are very different, believe it or not. You can look up the requirements yourself if you don't believe me.

The fact of the matter is that I've always been interested in pharmacy, but have been too scared because I perceive it as something "smart" people are able to accomplish. You can say you what you want. That's how I have always viewed it. That's how a lot of people view it. I'm terrible at school. I'm not one of those naturally smart people. But I work my butt off constantly. I have found that hard work gets you further along than being book smart does. As I have stated before, I have never gotten anything below a B since I have started college. I feel more confident in school now than I ever did.

But yeah, thanks for being skeptical for no reason.
 
It sounds like nursing is really where your heart is, and that you're only considering pharmacy because you haven't been accepted to Nursing school. Have you looked at factors as to why you haven't heard back yet? Applied late, low TEAS test score, didn't apply to many programs? You could look into pharmacy, but if I were you and I wanted to become a nurse, I'd re-apply instead of looking elsewhere first. I also don't think it'd take you 3 years to finish the pharmacy pre-reqs. If you're concerned about time, you can get the pharmacy pre-reqs done within 2 years and apply then.

Yes, and that is why I am not ruling out nursing entirely. My prereq GPA averages from a 3.5-3.6, depending on what school we're talking about. I can't retake anything because I haven't failed and it would count against me. There are simply not enough seats and there too many students applying. My TEAS was ok. I got an 83% my second time. Also, to major in biology, it would take another 3 years because my science classes have been designed for health care majors so a lot of them don't even count.

Thanks for your reply!
 
pharmacy is not for everyone.

hahaha, reading this and glancing over ur name, you seriously crack me up👍

To the OP: Yeah, if u can't get in nursing school, look at other options. HOwever, it seems like pharmacy job prospect is not promising in recent years, and u have to be sure you are not going to shoot yourself working in pharmacy