before and after

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MTY

i like to get some feedbacks from current medical students.

from the time that you applied for med school till you got accepted, do you think getting to med school was easier or harder than you expected prior applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I guess I'm a current med student (classes start in two weeks), so I'll try to field this one. I have a two part answer.

1. The application procedure itself was a lot longer, and therefore more difficult than I expected. All those secondaries got pretty tiresome, and I personally had some trouble getting profs to cough up rec letters in a timely manner. However...

2. Getting in was a lot easier than I expected. I had absolutely no intention of being accepted. I basically turned in the applications just to give it a whirl to satisfy my curiosity. I knew if I never tried I'd always wonder. And low and behold I got in. Hope that answers your questions, good luck!

I'm glad the writer of the previous post was accepted and I hope they appreciate there acceptance. However, applying as a "whirl to satisfy curiosity" severly lessens the anxiety, thought and dedication most applicants put into the application process. I'm betting he-she is downplaying the effort and excitement of the acceptance process. I'm certain it is not indicitive of most applicants.

I find the application process to be very lengthy and involved. There is lots of waiting and uncertianty, feeling solid one day and feeling hopeless the next. The application involvement is in itself a part of the weeding out process.

By the end of secondaries and interviews, you will be so tired of thinking and talking about yourself. Every aspect of your life and how it effected your choice for medicine. It's like a year long appointment with a psychiatrist! (It is a little fun though)

Anyway, Good Luck and keep your sanity. Stick with your hobbies and stay mentally and physically fit.

I started studying for the MCAT in Oct., took the April exam, went through applications in June/July-Sept. interviews in Oct. Waiting, waiting, waiting. then found out about acceptance (finally) in June the following year. By the time that I start in Sept it will be almost 2 years of prep. They say that the devil in medicine is hidden costs.

Geo