Before starting intern year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumd2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my intern year and I was wondering what I should brush up on before July. I am coming from a smaller program and going to a big university program where I have been told you need to be on top of your game. I start on Gyn, any suggestions for what to look over and what to be familiar with would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

People always recommend the "red ob/gyn" guide book. I do recommend picking it up only for dictation purposes. :laugh:.. the words are otherwise too small.

However, I recommend "ob/gyn secrets"... despite how other residents might feel, I personally think it is a nice small handy book for basic knowledge. It is probably a easy 200 page read on gyn and 200 page read on OB. It has pertinent information that may be useful... especially if senior residents or attendings want to pimp you for whatever reason.

Other than that... I would use "uptodate" and "acog bulletin" for updated recommendations and current practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting ready to start my intern year and I was wondering what I should brush up on before July. I am coming from a smaller program and going to a big university program where I have been told you need to be on top of your game. I start on Gyn, any suggestions for what to look over and what to be familiar with would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

Practice knot tying (two handed/one handed smoothly in gloves). Holding a needle driver comfortably.

Know your anatomy.

As an intern, you will be assisting. A good assistant anticipates the needs of the surgeon and helps things run smoothly. Read up on your surgeries ahead of time and be able to recite the steps in your head. If you have questions, look at operative reports of similar surgeries from past patients is a good way to get familiar as well.

Online resource that is very helpful:
www.atlasofpelvicsurgery.com

Know the basic steps of your major surgeries.

I am biased toward the John's Hopkins residency manual. Read up on the gyn section including anatomy, pre operative care etc. Concise, easy to read with a good number of references.

Some people do this although I dont: Making a notebook with attendings preferences etc and being able to refer to that in your latter months/years.

Use your upper levels as guides. Good upper levels should give you a heads up on what to expect.

You may have a fair amount of experience with minor cases as well:
Endometrial ablations, Adiana, Essure etc. Try to get familiar with them. Our program has the reps come by from time to time. Thats a good time to get hands on experience in a low stress environment.