SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Before withdrawing...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by okgo2503, May 7, 2008.

1. okgo2503

okgo2503 2+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2007
    So I've finally decided which school I would like to attend next year. :D I have withdrawn all my other acceptances except for the other one I was deciding between. I was ready to email my withdrawal to them as well, but then being the paranoid, over-worrier that I am, I thought maybe I should email or call the school that I will be attending to make sure everything (deposit, etc.) went through first so I don't end up hung out to dry after May 15. :eek: I thought easiest would be to just call and say that I was checking that everything was okay before withdrawing from everywhere else, but then I thought maybe to email so I would have it in writing. I don't know what exactly to say if I email though? What do you guys think would be best? Thanks :hardy:
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . . Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

dude, i was you like 3 weeks ago. :laugh: i wouldn't worry about it too much. i dropped all my acceptances and no worries here.

i would say that a deposit receipt is probably sufficient proof that you accepted their offer of admission. i paid deposits online and received a confirmation e-mail every time.

however, if you really want, you could call the admissions office to make sure your deposit was received.
  4. Nebulus2012

Nebulus2012 Physician 7+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Boston, MA
    I hear you both on this one. I was holding two acceptances and waiting to hear back from 9 other schools that I interviewed at. My top choice accepted me, so it wasn't a really difficult decision per say. Rather, I was nervous that something would go wrong and I would end up without a seat anywhere. Also, didn't it feel strange withdrawing from schools that you had previously prayed would accept you? I know I felt this way when pulling my application from Tufts!
  5. curious lately

curious lately 7+ Year Member

Sep 13, 2007
    I felt the same just two days ago when I finally made my decision and withdrew from other schools. It was really tough to shake the paranoia feeling and actually hit send. Also I felt really bad turning down one school which had given me a scholarship and is a really awesome place. In the end, there is life after withdrawal and I survived to tell about it.
  6. HanginInThere

HanginInThere 5+ Year Member

May 24, 2007
    the library
    What they said.

It's like pulling of a band-aid - just grit your teeth and hit send! It's scary, but once you've done it you'll feel great.
  7. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy" 5+ Year Member

May 23, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I fired mine off yesterday. Do it. It feels so good to know your destiny!
  8. 172858

172858 America = The New Texas 2+ Year Member

Oct 23, 2007
    i can understand where you're coming from. after working you a$$ off for so many years, it's a weird feeing to actually turn medical school admission offers down.
  9. 1956Goldtop

Jan 11, 2008
    Also, some schools have been sending me stuff consistently throughout the past few months. If that is happening to you, you can assume that they have your deposit.
  10. emcee1109

emcee1109 10+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Hey guys,

Did you withdraw your acceptance by snail mail, e-mail, or a phone call?
  11. 1956Goldtop

Jan 11, 2008
    Via e-mail, and they have always at least responded back letting me know I've been withdrawn.
  12. SCRdoc

SCRdoc 7+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2007
    It was hard to let go. But I agree, it feels good to finally focus on the school you'll be attending.
  13. bruinator

bruinator 2+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2007
    I don't know if it's just me, but UCD hasn't sent me anything about a deposit...
  14. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality 2+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2008
    La Jolla
    uh oh
  15. Silk800

Silk800 2+ Year Member

Jul 18, 2007
    you don't have to pay money to hold a spot there, but they should have sent you a worksheet that you send back to them.
  16. benzenesmiles

Dec 12, 2007
    how did you word your withdrawal letters?