Before you get upset..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshinee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I apologize in advance for posting this message on this section of the forums, but I felt this was the section that would give an honest and supported opinion. Please bare with me, as I am sure many Pre-Pharmacy students have had the same type of nerves I am having now.

I had decided I wanted to apply to Pharm School about a year+ ago. I am currently a Dietetic Science major (nutrition science). I will have a BS in Science, and much chemistry, biology, etc. However, I am missing certain classes such as Chem II, Calc, Physics, and a few more. I will be taking Pre-calc this fall as my school does not allow Calc I until the pre-calc is fulfilled. I also plan to take physics in the spring so I at least have a few more courses. I will be taking the PCAT's in October (it is the only date offered in my state before applications are due).

My question to the elders on this site is this ...do you think I have a chance of getting into school with missing courses? My GPA is ~3.6 - 3.7 and hopefully going up a bit more as I am finishing a few summer courses as we speak. With a good GPA, hopefully good PCAT scores, and most of the class requirements (but organic II missing, chem II missing, Biology I missing). I have courses like Biochemistry, and Anatomy & Physiology, countless advanced nutrition courses, which are not necessarily required but still science related.

Was anyone else ever in a similar boat? I feel just awful, as I know I can do it, but I do not know how the actual school will view me when I am simply a piece of paper to them. Any suggestions or comments would be great, the good or the bad. I figured if I wanted real answers I would need to go to the pro's who have been through this in the past. Again, I can imagine the more important posts you could reply to, but for me this is the rest of my life on the line. It is a matter of wasting my time, and possibly having to tack on another 6 years to my education (instead of the 4 I would have as a transfer student). I will do everything I can, but what more can I? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

have you ever stepped inside a pharmacy to know what its like? Why does it seem like this question comes up a lot. If pharmacy is what you want to do it ... but if your wondering if its worth it...I'd say no..turn around now while you still can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you have any other options besides completing the courses as required by the program. There's no short cut to be a pharmacist.

Pharmacy school is very chemistry based. I think you will some pharmacy courses extremely difficult, without having had a basis of general chemistry & organic chemistry. There is a reason why those classes are prerequites.

im not too sure...make sure you have your prereq's before you apply...i know some schools make that a requirement...some do not....