Beginning prep/early prep for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med201821

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings SDN,
SEEKING HELP PLEASE READ.
A few things out the way. Yes I know this is a topic thats been covered extensively. I know should have used the search tool. If your irritated by this then don't post on my thread.

About me:
Studying in Australia. Want to start early prep for USMLE. I am overwhelmed with the amount of resources for this exam. I have started formulating approaches but instead I thought I might seek some advice from people who may have been in my situation. I am 6 months into year 1.

To give you an idea of my aptitude. One of the reasons I applied to an Australian program was because I thought they might not require the MCAT. Some of my courses like chem and bio were taken 9 years prior so I was a little shaky on that. The administration told me they actually wanted an MCAT score of at least 500. Bought a giant 1200 page book had plans to tackle it over 2 months and then take the exam. Quickly realized that was foolish. Bought a q bank of 300 or 400 questions went through all of them 3 times took 2 full length practice tests and then the exam. I never took biochem or 2nd semester orgo. My first practiced exam I scored in 20 percentile the second one 65th percentile. Managed to get in the 60th percentile on actual exam which I didn't think was too bad for like a month and a half maybe 2 months max of prep. I know it was skewed a little bit because I got in 85th percentile for critical reading. I share this as possible insight into my test taking abilities. With practice and effort I think I am almost a competent test taker which considering the hurdles I have in front of me to come home is why I want to start an early prep.

My plan so far: Buy Kaplan q bank do dedicated 45 min to 1 hour review a day. Thinking about purchasing a yearly subscription. Would focus on questions in whatever block I am in. Additionally would be working through USMLE FA as it relates to my current block. Then 6 months from now I have an 8 week break. Planned on going through Uworld q bank and possibly taking an intensive 6 week prep course. I am not too familiar with prep sources like pathoma, lecturio and sketchy though. I was thinking at the end of the intense prep course if I score well on practice tests to then schedule to sit the exam 6 months later after I finish the basic sciences. Our basic sciences are 18 months here. I might be too ambitious here and giving myself more credit then I deserve. My target score is 240 which in last couple years is a score that has been within 1 standard deviation of the mean. Slightly ambitious maybe but I believe feasible even for some like me of average intelligence and test taking ability.

Thanks ahead of time for reading this!

Members don't see this ad.

Descent plan and most importantly you have enough time to study good and do well on exam. I especially like the fact that you started studying early and not waiting for winter semester of MS2 year. Don't listen to others saying that it's too early and that you should relax and spent summer doing some crap and such - this is sdn crap students post here, but then again same students consider anything less than 260+ a failure lol. sdn is a famous forum known for such nonsense and has a bunch of locals with pre-med childish attitude. Usually it takes them 1-2 years in residency to get such idiotic ideas and pre-med cheap point of views (like living on a ramen to repay loans lol) crap kicked out of them the hard way lol, and then they transform into more mature normal people, many will get families, settled etc., but for now they will post crap, so just be warned and prepared lol.
For intensive 6 week course (should you need it) - Kaplan has a best imho online Prep course made specifically for step 1 - specifically for those who finished MS2, but needs a good boost of their low scores - it's made with its own integrated questions after each section (it has basic sciences first and then organ system based sections). Each section has a pdf high yield notes, followed by dozen short videos and then 3 short tests (usually from 10 to 20 questions each) made to test your knowledge of that section. There are 5 checkpoints in between with 40 question blocks to test your progress. It really builds a high yield foundation and provides about 1200 questions overall. This is the one Prep course given by med.schools for those students who needs big improvement before 6 weeks of exam date.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey 073116 thanks for the response.

Living on ramen to repay loans. What a horrible life that must be to anyone who lives like that.

I've hear the Kaplan plan is good but there is a local guy near where I live back home who has a really good program with stellar results and he also came from overseas so he knows the hurdles I have to deal with also he is not as expensive as some of those Kaplan prep course. Thanks again for the response.