Behavioral Neurology: what can they treat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Healthinfo104

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was reading about behavioral neurology and came across the American Academy of Neurology site with their curriculum on behavioral neurology, as well as the curriculum of some other BN program.

They said that behavioral neurologists are trained and can treat primary psychiatric disorders (such as schizophrenia and bipolar) among other neurological conditions.

I thought primary psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia were more mental health related and can only be treated by a psychiatrist... can bejavi oral neurologists really treat things like that?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No one in our behavioral neurology division is treating or managing schizophrenia.

Ok they aren't, but that doesn't answer ny questions of is this information I'm reading correct in saying that they have the training to treat mental health disorders like schizophrenia?

All the information I was reading said that the purpose of behavioral neurologists being trained to treat this is to eliminate the brain/ mind barrier and recognize that disorders traditionally considered of the mind have an origin in the brain as well.