Other OT-Related Information Behavioral Technician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msuotwannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed for a position as a behavioral technician. Would accepting this job be a good opportunity? I love the idea of working as an RBT but I'm hesitant because I'm currently still in undergrad and it seems like a big time commitment.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! I think whether this is the right decision for you is completely dependent on your specific situation. I personally think the more work opportunities you have, the better, especially when it involves having direct interaction with people. It's hard to get "clinical" experiences before OT school but it's an incredible advantage in helping you get admitted and more importantly in seeing if this is a population you could see yourself working with in the future. With that said, whether it's a good idea to work during undergrad depends on the hours, your schedule, and your time management skills. Being a behavioral tech can be different depending on the workplace so I'm not exactly sure what it entails in your position (personally I don't like ABA but that's besides the point), so I would make sure you know exactly what your responsibilities will be. I worked all through undergrad so I can't really imagine not doing it, and it was a key component of my college experience. During my last year I worked at a community-based group home where the residents are adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities, and I found it not only more educational than a lot of my actual college classes but also very helpful in deciding to become an OT. Worst case scenario, you don't have to stay at a job you don't like or can't handle. So there's no right or wrong answer here, just consider all the factors and make sure it fits into your schedule.

I recently interviewed for a position as a behavioral technician. Would accepting this job be a good opportunity? I love the idea of working as an RBT but I'm hesitant because I'm currently still in undergrad and it seems like a big time commitment.

Hey! I am a current RBT and love it! I started working part-time while I was in undergrad and did some school shadows and home sessions. When I graduated I moved to full-time at the company's clinic. I want to go to grad school for OT and felt this was a great field that was similar to OT. I have learned a lot and have been able to really talk about my job experience in interviews and got to know the field better. It definitely depends on your company about your hours and time commitment, but I have been doing it for a year and have really enjoyed it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I met an OT that was formerly an ABA. If going into peds, I would think RBT is excellent training. She stated ABA knowledge/curriculum has helped immensely with the more challenging patients.

I’m a full-time RBT at a clinic for children with autism. I wanted some experience (and to save some money after undergrad) before applying to OT school. I also have observed a peds OT who used to be a line therapist. I noticed she gave more specific praise than other therapists, which is definitely from ABA therapy! She also said ABA therapy helped with her instructional control and helps when she’s collaborating with ABA therapists at her clinic. Lastly, I even was able to observe one of my kiddos in his OT session. If you’re interested in ABA it’s definitely a way into the therapy world!

Reactions: 1 users