Being Competitive from a Big State School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundevil1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, from my screen name you can tell that I attended a fairly large undergrad school. I graduated with a decent gpa (3.63) in biochem. and did research for over 2 years. I have extracurrics. and good rec. letters so I don't think that will be a problem. I know that coming from a "party school" will put me at a disadvantage to someone witht the same stats from an Ivy or other top school. I got a 33 on the MCAT (9v, 12ps, 12bs, R) and while the 9 is nothing impressive I think my other scores are strong. Will this score give my gpa and ability to succeed in med. more validity or will I be hurt by the school I attended despite my MCAT score? I am confident in what I know and have no regrets or shame about going to a big school but I also want to be given a fair shot in the admissions game. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will be fine. I went to a big state school (UT-Austin) and I have had some pretty positive results thus far (e.g. four interviews). BTW, our MCATs are about the same, but your GPA is well above mine. Good luck.

Count me in to this group. Good luck, people.

sundevil, i don't think you have anything to worry about. i think it only matters if you went to community or junior college. yeah, you might not have gone to harvard or yale, but no matter where you go to school, science courses are hard - everyone knows that. your mcat speaks for itself. this is a numbers game but not only a numbers game. when you make it past that stage they are looking at whether you have the motivation, desire, and right fit for medicine. you should make it past most screens, so the rest will be up to you. i don't think you should worry, you will get numerous acceptances, perhaps not at schools that only want people from the ivy leagues, but hey, would you really want to be around that kind of snootiness and elitism?