Being Complete on First Possible Day, but No First-Round Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latrala2300

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

If you're complete on the very first day secondaries went out for a particular school, but did not receive an interview in the first round of invites, are you likely rejected from that school?

Is this especially true when people of similar stats received interviews?

What if you have special circumstances (non-trad, institutional action, etc.)? Would these delay your app's review?

Members don't see this ad.

No. There are a million different factors going on behind the scenes that you're unaware of that could explain why you haven't received an invitation yet. Now if it's a month or two down the line then I would start to be concerned.

You seem very concerned, and rightfully so. The application process is stressful but it's super early in the game and I'm sure that not getting an interview during the first round doesn't mean you're done for. Here's what you do.
1. Open fridge
2. Grab beer
3. Sit on porch
4. Put feet up
5. nap (optional)

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem very concerned, and rightfully so. The application process is stressful but it's super early in the game and I'm sure that not getting an interview during the first round doesn't mean you're done for. Here's what you do.
1. Open fridge
2. Grab beer
3. Sit on porch
4. Put feet up
5. nap (optional)

Says the guy with three interviews lined up :rolleyes:

Congrats though!

1. Open fridge
2. Grab beer
3. Sit on porch
4. Put feet up
5. nap (optional)

I like this.

1. Open fridge
2. Grab beer
3. Sit on porch
4. Put feet up
5. nap (optional)

This. (Congrats on the interviews, btw :) )

It makes me sad to see people worry about interview invites when it's not even August yet! Honestly, most schools have not sent out IIs yet. One of my schools (Colorado) hasn't even started sending out secondaries, and they don't screen either. It's easy to freak yourself out, but like Nick said, you have to remember how many millions of factors play out in the admissions process. You aren't rejected from a school until they send you a rejection notice, period. There isn't all that much room to heavily analyze a non-systematic process.

Time to get good at the waiting game. You'll be doing it a lot down the line.

Hi folks,

If you're complete on the very first day secondaries went out for a particular school, but did not receive an interview in the first round of invites, are you likely rejected from that school?

Is this especially true when people of similar stats received interviews?

What if you have special circumstances (non-trad, institutional action, etc.)? Would these delay your app's review?

You shouldn't worry about it. There are a few schools that have different ways of conducting business than you would expect. For example, last year, Tuft's interview invitations first went out to those who had extremely high stats (regardless of completion date), and then they went back to those with medium stats, like myself. I ended up receiving the invite in October December/January interview availability, even though I submitted first possible day to Tufts.

I'm in the same position LT, complete at Georgetown mid-July and no invite today. It could still work out or it may not, but this is the kind of uncertainty we're going to have to get used to in coming months.

Hang tight and good luck. Also, try what arfc6 said.