Being "lied" to by the interviewer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sekiray

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had this happen to me three times already and I wanted to know what was up with the adcoms/me.

Ive interviewed at three places where the interviewer told me straight in my face "you will be a great fit for our school, you will have no problem getting into medical schools. I hope you choose us." Or something of that sort. I was excited and was very hopeful of getting accepted.
But all i got are waitlist letters.

Does this kinda crap happen all the time? Im assuming that its not my interviews since they also usually say that "they had a great time meeting me and that the interview was execellent". But that could all be BS also. Whats up with this?

Members don't see this ad.

had the same thing happen at one school where i got on the waitlist....oh well, maybe we are just super awesome people ;)

I had this happen to me three times already and I wanted to know what was up with the adcoms/me.

Ive interviewed at three places where the interviewer told me straight in my face "you will be a great fit for our school, you will have no problem getting into medical schools. I hope you choose us." Or something of that sort. I was excited and was very hopeful of getting accepted.

Does this kinda crap happen all the time? Im assuming that its not my interviews since they also usually say that "they had a great time meeting me and that the interview was execellent". But that could all be BS also. Whats up with this?

Lots of interviewers say something like that to everyone good, but the reality is that schools cannot accept everyone good. They should probably remain more noncommittal. Such is life.

Members don't see this ad :)
mind sharing what schools you're referring to? maybe your application as a whole didnt have enough points? (most schools rank students based on overall scores) but 3 schools....that's quite a pattern. :confused:

this has happened to me at 2 schools so far. My guess is that they are not lying, but after they interview you, they present to the admissions committee and everyone votes on your application. They can only present you favorably, and then it is out of their hands how the admissions committees vote. At least that is my take on the process. If some members of the committee are not happy with a portion of your application, then you get waitlisted. Sucks I know...

They say that to everyone. Take it with a grain of salt, because SOMEONE has to get rejected/waitlisted.

Your interviewers may have given you the highest rating they could, but there's a strong chance that they're not on the adcom anyways. There are other factors that may have kept you out (such as the class already being filled).

had the same thing happen at one school where i got on the waitlist....oh well, maybe we are just super awesome people ;)

I am bufuzzled that you were put on a waitlist!!!

That is simple...it means you are good enough to be at their school, and they see that and they compliment you, however during the adcoms meeting, they look and realize "oh geez, we have only 4 spots remaining but 10 of these are good enough to get in", well, we waitlist the 6 and pick the 4 we think are better."....sorry that is just how it goes in this highly competitive endeavor. During interviews they dont have the hindsight or even realize that there are going to a lot of other worthy applicants interviewing after you or before you, so just in you specific case you would fit well with the school. I dont think they are lying per se.

so some interviewers are not part of the adcom?

Im assuming they say good things about you because they have read your application prior to seeing you (and then say those things after seeing how well you guys click).. but maybe thats a false assumption.

Thanks for the input, I kinda understand now. (especially the part where other ppl who have not seen you turn you down or give you less pts based on paper).

Im definitely not a stellar applicant, so i guess that explains it.

Yes, you both are likely super awesome people, like myself;) Waitlisted is good, though. That means all hope is not lost. More importantly, it means they believe you have what it takes to be a doctor. As for interview promises, we must realize that the interview is just one piece of the puzzle. If an interviewer made such claims, I think he certainly did go to bat for you. He just didn't have a big enough bat. If you're set on medicine, hope for the best, prepare for teh worst, and it will become a reality.

It really irritates me as well. I had this happen at 4 out of 5 interviews. 2 rejections, 1 WL, and who the hell knows what happening for the other one. Seriously, DO NOT trust anything an adcom member says to, its all bull shi*.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we all logged on at once:oops:

That is simple...it means you are good enough to be at their school, and they see that and they compliment you, however during the adcoms meeting, they look and realize "oh geez, we have only 4 spots remaining but 10 of these are good enough to get in", well, we waitlist the 6 and pick the 4 we think are better."....sorry that is just how it goes in this highly competitive endeavor. During interviews they dont have the hindsight or even realize that there are going to a lot of other worthy applicants interviewing after you or before you, so just in you specific case you would fit well with the school. I dont think they are lying per se.

You are right. I dont disagree with what you said.
But this one school in particular said these exact words.
"You will get in, I hope to see you next year. I promise that you will be very happy here."

but enough with this. I understand now that interviewers dont carry the most weight.

oh yeah, it definitely happened to me several times, except that one of them did gave me an acceptance which is :thumbup: . the others waitlisted me. One of the waitlisters asked me straight in the face, "what can we do to keep here?" which i thought was crazy cuz it was my first interview and it's one of the top schools in the country. it got me foolishly confident about my application. :laugh: :laugh:
i take it as a lesson which i should've learned when i was writing my checks for the secondaries: never trust the adcom!!! :laugh: they know how to draw blood from the most painful spot.

I agree - this is the most frustrating thing they could tell you (sort of like when friends say, how could you not get in?). They definitely need to let people know that they think you deserve to be admitted, but it is not completely up to them. I think they think they have more influence than they have. They don't realize that we hold onto every word and expect them to come through.

I also heard this at 4 places, and now sit on 4 waitlists.

I've had a student host/tour guide lie (not sure who). I couldn't work things out with a 3rd yr student host because he was "on call" for his rotation. During the tour, the tour guide said that rotations weren't bad like other schools because they don't put students on call. :)

out of curiousity to the OP, do you have any glaring red flags on your application? I recieved a 2.75 from my first undergrad degree (followed by 3.94 on 2nd degree), and I really think that is what is holding me back. Who in their right minds would vote to admit me when there is someone else with a 4.0 on their first degree? I do think my interviewers spoke favorably about me....

You are right. I dont disagree with what you said.
But this one school in particular said these exact words.
"You will get in, I hope to see you next year. I promise that you will be very happy here."

but enough with this. I understand now that interviewers dont carry the most weight.

I agree completely. I had statements such as, "I really hope you decide on picking us next year" or "We would be stupid to not accept you!" thrown in my face. I had so much hope after hearing those two statements. A few months later a Rejection and WL respectively from those schools.

I don't know what it takes anymore. :(

They really shouldn't say these things. They should just say that you interviewed well and that their assessment will be positive. Your numbers were probably borderline at these schools. My best interview was at a school where my numbers were borderline, and I got waitlisted.

If it turns out that you have to reapply, definitely do so. I know med students who got accepted on the second try. Submit everything early. Apply to 15 schools, 7 in your range, 1 or 2 above your range, and the rest below. Spend the year doing clinical research, as close to full-time as possible. Request to do a project that will be published.

out of curiousity to the OP, do you have any glaring red flags on your application? I recieved a 2.75 from my first undergrad degree (followed by 3.94 on 2nd degree), and I really think that is what is holding me back. Who in their right minds would vote to admit me when there is someone else with a 4.0 on their first degree? I do think my interviewers spoke favorably about me....

Honestly, I dont think i do.
The only problem is that i volunteered 2 years total. Im guessing that could be the biggest red flag.
My grades are good, mcat good (not the best but above average), recs are excellent, i work at one of the best pharm companies in the world (in the year im out of school), I won some sport competitions, i taught, volunteered etc...

Not the best, but not the worst. Just Average joe.

I did apply early, and I applied to a range of schools.

but im not here to ask about advice on what I can do to make things better. The main question of this thread was to ask why the interviewer's words and their decisions dont match.

oh yeah, it definitely happened to me several times, except that one of them did gave me an acceptance which is :thumbup: . the others waitlisted me. One of the waitlisters asked me straight in the face, "what can we do to keep here?" which i thought was crazy cuz it was my first interview and it's one of the top schools in the country. it got me foolishly confident about my application. :laugh: :laugh:
i take it as a lesson which i should've learned when i was writing my checks for the secondaries: never trust the adcom!!! :laugh: they know how to draw blood from the most painful spot.

:D

The only problem is that i volunteered 2 years total. Im guessing that could be the biggest red flag.
My grades are good, mcat good (not the best but above average), recs are excellent, i work at one of the best pharm companies in the world (in the year im out of school), I won some sport competitions, i taught, volunteered etc...

but im not here to ask about advice on what I can do to make things better. The main question of this thread was to ask why the interviewer's words and their decisions dont match.

sorry, didn't mean to give you advice on how to do things better. It's just that I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago, and someone suggested to me that the decision and his words didn't match because although he may have really liked me, the admissions committee may have been put off by red flags. Just a thought...

at 3 schools i was told very similar...i was accepted to all three

I've had a student host/tour guide lie (not sure who). I couldn't work things out with a 3rd yr student host because he was "on call" for his rotation. During the tour, the tour guide said that rotations weren't bad like other schools because they don't put students on call. :)

Could have been a "self imposed" call. Just because you are "allowed" to leave according to school policy, doesn't always mean you should. If you are gunning for a certain specialty, and one of the docs you are working with is on call and has an interesting case or offers to let you scrub in on something, I could certainly see someone staying on even though he didn't technically have to be there. The career savy types tend to be those who don't come across so eager to punch out at the end of the day.

I want all of you to remember this thread when it comes time to interview for residency. The same stuff will happen, and now you won't be so quick to place all your faith in it. I had plenty of people (interviewers and people associated with the specialty I was going for) tell me that I would get in, that they really want me there, etc. It wasn't true. They even lie in their rejection letters. Don't believe them and you won't feel so shocked and betrayed when things don't go the way you expect. Just do your best and have a plan B.

sorry, didn't mean to give you advice on how to do things better. It's just that I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago, and someone suggested to me that the decision and his words didn't match because although he may have really liked me, the admissions committee may have been put off by red flags. Just a thought...

haha na, dont be sorry thanks for your thought.

You may in fact be very qualified for a program. You may in fact be a great fit for a program. Unfortunately, there are several people like you for every available seat. A lot of med school applicants seem overly impressed with their exceptional grades/MCATs/ECs/LORs/etc. but seem to fail to recognize that "exceptional" applicants are not exactly uncommon in the med school admissions process.

The interviewers probably weren't lying to you, but then again they likely said approximately the same thing to the hundreds of other qualified, great-fit candidates. Not every great candidate ends up getting into every program they apply to -- that's just the way it is. The admissions process is in many ways a crapshoot, and you have to learn not to take everything personally.

However, be encouraged by the fact that the overwhelming majority of well-qualified candidates eventually get in somewhere.

I think this is something many medical schools have as a general policy to help improve their yeild. If, after being accepted to a school you look back and think.. yea my interviewer really thought I was a good fit for this school, or thought that I was really a special applicant, etc., etc., you are more likely to go there than you would be if they didn't flower you with compliments.
If, after comittee review, you end up being rejected, OH WELL!

I think this is something many medical schools have as a general policy to help improve their yeild. If, after being accepted to a school you look back and think.. yea my interviewer really thought I was a good fit for this school, or thought that I was really a special applicant, etc., etc., you are more likely to go there than you would be if they didn't flower you with compliments.
If, after comittee review, you end up being rejected, OH WELL!

That's possible, but probably less intentionally deceptive than that --more likely interviewers just keep a positive spin and let the adcom committee as a whole sort it out. Kind of like when a guy ends a date with "I'll call you" whether he really means it or not.

The interviewer doesnt usually have full power over letting you in or not. they may think that you are great, but the committee may have other issues with your application. I know at some schools, the interviewer is not part of the decision process, but rather, submits a writeup on your behalf.

I interviewed at a top NY school and they basically told me that the interview doesn't mean ****, and that they will choose ppl based on their grades and MCATs. Then he continued to probe me about my mediocre Orgo grades ... bah

Happened to me at one of my interviews. At the end of my interview I stand up to shake hands with everyone feeling like I knocked one out of the ballpark. As I'm shaking the hand of the PhD faculty member, he leans over and whispers to me "don't worry, you're in." I gave him a puzzled look because I wasn't expecting it then he nods his head in approval and moves his lips to "you're in" as if he thought I didn't hear him the first time.

Two weeks later I get waitlisted.

Happened to me at one of my interviews. At the end of my interview I stand up to shake hands with everyone feeling like I knocked one out of the ballpark. As I'm shaking the hand of the PhD faculty member, he leans over and whispers to me "don't worry, you're in." I gave him a puzzled look because I wasn't expecting it then he nods his head in approval and moves his lips to "you're in" as if he thought I didn't hear him the first time.

thats really *ucked up... but imagining the guy whispering to you twice made me laugh :laugh:

they shouldnt do this crap to us

i didnt read what you guys posted, but I've had it happen to me too.

You have to realize though that when the comittee meets to make a dec. on your file, the interviewer can only root for you so much (meaning they are say 1/10 of the "vote") AND there are many other well qualified ppl as well applying with you.

Who knows though, the process has been random and oh-so-depressing for me too

If he was whispering, are you sure you heard him correctly? Maybe he said, "You're thin," or "Urine". :laugh:

The interviewer doesnt usually have full power over letting you in or not. they may think that you are great, but the committee may have other issues with your application. I know at some schools, the interviewer is not part of the decision process, but rather, submits a writeup on your behalf.

Yup

I would not look at it as a lie.

I just do not think they can be as honest with you as you would like for legal purposes.

Mind you at the conclusion of the interview and they ask "do you have any questions?" YOU are not going to ask, well what are chances here REALLY?

Naw, you ask some esoteric question that means nothing in the grand scope of the next few years of your life. Not saying you specifically, but you in a general, every applicant sense.

If the interviewer said, not to parse words but something alone the lines of, " you don't stand a chance in hell," how would that make you feel?:confused:

Why not leave it on an upswing and it can always be laid at the feet of the collective admissions committee decision as to why you did not get accepted.

Sometimes a rejection is not that bad, when ytou step away and look it from another perspective. Sure it sucks and it is moderately disappointing, but it may be that ultimately the Supreme Being has another plan for you e.g. another medical school where you will succeed and make more of an impact on the community or maybe there is another lesson that must be learned through the process/journey of reaching your goal.

Be at peasce with it and move on. there are 125 or 126 Allo schools and another bevy of osteopathic schools. If you REALLY want to be a doctor, YOU will get acepted somewhere and YOU will be successfu land make an impact. That is all that REALLY matters.

Good luck to you and everyone else in the situation!!!!:luck:

At least one interviewer at each of the 5 school I have interviewed has told me, "I really hope you go here."

I now have two WL, one rejection, and two acceptances.

They really got my hopes up at the other schools...

At least one interviewer at each of the 5 school I have interviewed has told me, "I really hope you go here."

I now have two WL, one rejection, and two acceptances.

They really got my hopes up at the other schools...

You must be crying with those two acceptances and a waitlist.

at 3 schools i was told very similar...i was accepted to all three

same here - to two schools, awaiting the third
I think however that grades do affect one's acceptance even if the interview went great.

If the interviewer said, not to parse words but something alone the lines of, " you don't stand a chance in hell," how would that make you feel?

Like I had received someone's (hopefully) honest opinion. It would at least open the door for me to reply, "What specific areas in my application or today's interview made you reach this conclusion?". My hope is that this would lead to some productive conversation.

If I have put out the cash, time, and effort to travel out for an interview, the superlatives: "I hope you choose us.", "You're a shoe-in.", etc. don't do a dang thing for me. Just give it to me straight. (the traits of bull$****ting and "dancing around the bush" are, unfortunately, becoming more and more common IMHO)

I understand your disappointment, but I'm not sure that you have been lied to. Keep in mind an offer of admission is a committee decision and you can still be waitlisted/rejected because of a weak second interview or something that is either a red flag or perceived to be lacking in your file when it is reviewed by all of the committee members.

Yeah, based on things said by the schools where I've interviewed, I've gotten the impression that at not just some but most schools, the interviewers just submit a write-up and are not on the committee that makes the decision. So your interviewers could rate you an 11 out of 10 and say that you're the second coming of Christ, but if some other person on the committee who never met you considers that C you got in Classical Mythology your freshman year a deal-breaker, there's nothing the interviewers can do--they're not even there for the discussion.

At Stony Brook my interviewer was positive, but pretty non-committal...he said he would be very surprised if I wasn't at least waitlisted--and they accepted me outright, so he was flattering without getting my hopes up too much...and then I was thrilled to get in.

It's all a game of prisoner's dilemma...I did the same as an interviewee. "Oh I really hope I get to return as part of the incoming class!" When what I meant was "I really hope I get to return as a member of the incoming class provided I am not accepted at these 5 other places." (PS- this by the way may be one factor in my waitlist at upstate, which I loved except for the fact that it's ... well, way up state.)

really? does anyone know if the interviewer doesn't get a vote at most schools? that would stink especially if they really sounded like they were going to go to bat for you. however, it seems that even if they say nice things about your chances in the interview, it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else at the table will agree. :oops:

Yeah, based on things said by the schools where I've interviewed, I've gotten the impression that at not just some but most schools, the interviewers just submit a write-up and are not on the committee that makes the decision. So your interviewers could rate you an 11 out of 10 and say that you're the second coming of Christ, but if some other person on the committee who never met you considers that C you got in Classical Mythology your freshman year a deal-breaker, there's nothing the interviewers can do--they're not even there for the discussion.

or you could realize that, like most people have said here, the person you are interviewing with

a) really liked you but your competition turned out to be better
b) wasn't strong enough to sway the rest of the adcom
c) didn't know the class was almost totally full already
d) was too meek to tell you to your face that you had no chance.

Good luck.

Why would volunteering for 2 years be a bad thing? you are referring to red flag as a bad thing, -right?