Being polite with LORs--- while at the same time getting them done.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to check to see if anyone else had experience with this. I talked to a potential writer on the phone and he seemed very enthused about writing a letter for me. He gave me his email address to send him my personal statement, resume, and so forth. I do not have his number as he has the place where we worked together.

I sent him 1 email 3 weeks ago saying that I would send him another with my resume etc when its done.

No response.

I sent him a 2nd email a few days ago that had my resume etc. attached.

No response.

I'm starting to get concerned here. I don't want to be rude... but we need to get moving. Anyone had this kind of stuff to deal with before?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you within reasonable visiting distance of this gentleman? If so, a casual drop-in at lunchtime ("I was just in the area and wanted to say hi...") can work wonders. :)

Are you within reasonable visiting distance of this gentleman? If so, a casual drop-in at lunchtime ("I was just in the area and wanted to say hi...") can work wonders. :)

No. He works elsewhere and its on the other side of the universe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes.

Hmmm, it sounds like it'd be a good idea to track down his number, then. Does he work at a university? If so, get online and see if you can find the school's online directory. If that doesn't work, call whatever department he works for and see if they have a number for him.

If he works in private industry, try calling the company's main number, ask to speak to the operator, and see if the operatory will give you the contact number and/or connect you.

Just send an email asking whether they received everything you send and if they need anything else from you to write the letter.

I had someone locked in for writing an NIH app. I dropped four emails, stalked his office for like 2 weeks straight and then finally caught him at office hours (I had to look up the syllabus for his current class!). I'm really glad I didn't ask him for a med school LOR. Even after okaying everything with him it took two months of prodding to get him to send it off.... better luck to you friend.

Obviously, it is bad news that he isn't responding. The most obvious reasons I can think of is that he hasn't done it or doesn't want to. Of course, there could be other reasons. So, based on your knowledge of him, you need to estimate how likely it is that he will come through for you. I would consider when you must have the LOR completed and choose a date at which you will give up on this reference and ask someone else. When that date arrives, move on. A week before this "give up" date, make your final attempt to get a response from him.

One strategery I used for a particular letter-write was to send them a very nice thank-you note.

This makes them feel guilty, especially if you write the note as if they've already turned in the letter.