Being Pre-Med is taking its tole on me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK, now you're officially a full fledged tool gunner in my book.
Doesn't someone need to be succesfull to be a gunner? For heaven's sakes, he's already gotten B's in intro classes. I was thinking more along the lines of just tool, or perhaps immature paranoid oddity...

For the OP, no, your teachers aren't pre-med, they're accomplished Ph.D. faculty who would rather have students who actually care about the subject material instead of just the grade. I know you think that being a pre-med and taking 3 whopping classes :eek: (my goodness you must have no time to sleep) is the end all be all of difficult, but you might want to respect those who are more accomplished with you and have the degrees to prove it.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't someone need to be succesfull to be a gunner? For heaven's sakes, he's already gotten B's in intro classes. I was thinking more along the lines of just tool, or perhaps immature paranoid oddity...

For the OP, no, your teachers aren't pre-med, they're accomplished Ph.D. faculty who would rather have students who actually care about the subject material instead of just the grade. I know you think that being a pre-med and taking 3 whopping classes :eek: (my goodness you must have no time to sleep) is the end all be all of difficult, but you might want to respect those who are more accomplished with you and have the degrees to prove it.
Point taken..... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, I can't go to class without worrying what the teacher is thinking about me. So even though I stay up till 4 am every night, have a whole host of health problems, and have a hard time concentrating, I have to look as intelligent as possible, because I worry-"What if she gives me a B because she remembers me yawning?" or "What if she gives me an A- because I said the wrong answer?" Stuff like this. I cant accept the fact that one question on a test could be teh difference between being a doctor or being miserable for the rest of my life. For example, on last Govt test I missed two questions which I contemplated changing the answers but I didn't. I ended up getting an 86 when I could have gotten a 90. So if I never get into medical school because I got a B+ or an A- in Govt, it will be because "Well son, 15 years ago I could have answered differently on those two questions." All of this stuff is just way too much pressure for me. And then I have to worry also about taking antibiotics when I get sick because what if I get side effects and then can't perform well. It's all these things which drive me nuts all day long. When will this go away? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!:(

Get all of these lame questions out of the way (there are at least 2 on the front page of the pre-Allo forum) and then repent and get yourself a new username.

Original Poster, I just really wanted you to know that while you're stressing out so much over "Government" class that your hair falls out in clumpy patches and you develop crippling acne, I finished all my medical school course requirements, matched into my desired residency, and now have about 3 months of approximately nothing to do. I'm sharing an apartment with 3 of my childhood friends and we go out pretty much all the time.

I really didn't think any of this information would be pertinent to your situation...I just found the fact that our stress levels are polar opposites to be quite ironic. Well maybe ironic is a poor word. Hilarious is more appropriate.

PS: What kind of college do you go to where "government" is a class? Is it that same one where Zach Morris and the gang went to after graduating from Bayside?

Original Poster, I just really wanted you to know that while you're stressing out so much over "Government" class that your hair falls out in clumpy patches and you develop crippling acne, I finished all my medical school course requirements, matched into my desired residency, and now have about 3 months of approximately nothing to do. I'm sharing an apartment with 3 of my childhood friends and we go out pretty much all the time.

I really didn't think any of this information would be pertinent to your situation...I just found the fact that our stress levels are polar opposites to be quite ironic. Well maybe ironic is a poor word. Hilarious is more appropriate.

PS: What kind of college do you go to where "government" is a class? Is it that same one where Zach Morris and the gang went to after graduating from Bayside?

I think he means american government...I have to take it to graduate - required gen ed. And yeah its a stupid class....

I have an o-chem and botany test on friday, and I'm totally freaking out about o-chem. I have to learn the sn1 and sn2 crap in 3 days:scared:

Someone please tell me how to ace these reactions, its seriously over my head right now.

I'm freaking out like the OP - probably even more then him. I'm going to have a nervous break down one of these days.:(

For example, I can't go to class without worrying what the teacher is thinking about me.

I believe that my psychiatry professor called this "referential thinking." I might be wrong, though.

So even though I stay up till 4 am every night, have a whole host of health problems, and have a hard time concentrating, I have to look as intelligent as possible, because I worry-"What if she gives me a B because she remembers me yawning?" or "What if she gives me an A- because I said the wrong answer?"

What are you doing staying up till 4am every night? And I think you need to go to a school where your teachers have more important things to remember than if you yawned in class or if you (*gasp!*) said the wrong answer.

I cant accept the fact that one question on a test could be teh difference between being a doctor or being miserable for the rest of my life. For example, on last Govt test I missed two questions which I contemplated changing the answers but I didn't. I ended up getting an 86 when I could have gotten a 90. So if I never get into medical school because I got a B+ or an A- in Govt, it will be because "Well son, 15 years ago I could have answered differently on those two questions."

I SINCERELY hope that this is a joke post, but in case it's not...OP: My GPA at the end of senior year was a 3.4, while my science GPA was a 3.1-3.2. My MCAT was a 31. I still got in to med school. On the first try. In case you can't do the math that fast, that means that I got quite a few B's and, I think, a C+. (In case you still don't feel better, the C+ was in O.Chem 1, believe it or not.) Granted, I was taking more advanced courses than "Government," but, still. You'll actually have a better shot of getting into med school if you relax a little. If you relax, you'll be able to focus on the bigger picture better.

Also, med schools measure your anal sphincter tone during your interview. If it's too tight, they don't let you in.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!:(

I would recommend talking to an advisor, or something. You're way too worried about this. Relax, and things will come a little easier.

(I was kidding on about the anal sphincter part, by the way. Don't run off and do a digital rectal exam on yourself.)

lol and then u guys wonder why people with 32 mcats and 3.7 gpa's dont get in. why? because things add up. unless u get 4.0 and 35 mcat your going to be cutting it short. i don't know one calm doctor. theres a reason why their all nervous.

lol and then u guys wonder why people with 32 mcats and 3.7 gpa's dont get in. why? because things add up.
People with 32/3.7 apps don't get in to med school usually for very real reasons like applying too late, being a god awful interviewer, or not applying to a broad enough range of schools. A 32/3.7 is higher than average at most med schools. Seriously. Don't sweat it.

i don't know one calm doctor. theres a reason why their all nervous.
Personally, I think you might be projecting. Most doctors I know are very calm by nature. Medicine tends to attract those not panic prone.

I'm freaking out like the OP - probably even more then him. I'm going to have a nervous break down one of these days.:(

chill_pill.gif

In all seriousness - - you guys sound totally overloaded - - are you sure it's not just a state you LIKE to be in??? My two daughters were both premed and lived home most of college - - granted, they studied alot but they both worked a lot of hours, volunteered constantly, had fun with friends and stuff too......from what I could gather they were not STRESSED - - do whatever it takes to get yourselves to a level of challenge but not STRESS!

lol and then u guys wonder why people with 32 mcats and 3.7 gpa's dont get in. why? because things add up. unless u get 4.0 and 35 mcat your going to be cutting it short. i don't know one calm doctor. theres a reason why their all nervous.

Here are the reasons why YOU might not get into med school:
1) You're not listening to what other people are telling you, even though you posed the initial question. There were at least 3 other people (besides me) who said that we got in to med school without straight A's and with < 35 MCAT. mdapplicants.com is full of people like that too. And yet you persist on believing that anything less than a 4.0 or a 35 MCAT is cutting it close. Everyone's going to think that you're a troll for posting crap like that.

2) By being so nervous (and obstinate), you're practically guaranteed to be such a poor interviewer that you'll be rejected/waitlisted everywhere, regardless of your GPA/MCAT numbers.

By the way, DOCTORS are nervous because they actually take care of patients and supervise students - being responsible for someone's health will do that to you. They are NOT nervous as a result of being pre-med students.

You're exactly the type of person who has a 32 and a 3.7 and doesn't get in. Listen kids, and especially you, OP, I mean LISTEN... I know two people (personal friend and acquaintance of mine) who went to Harvard med with a 30 or below on the mcat and in the low 3's for gpa. Just don't be such a ****ing tool. And maybe listen to the responses to your idiotic posts. Most people here have made it through what you are you are going through and didn't sound like ******* doing it, so you might be in the wrong place to cry about it. Also, most of these people are in, or going to get into medical school, so try listening to them. And you don't know one calm doctor? Bwahahaha. I don't know one who isn't calm.

You've got serious problems kid. Seriously, I used to wonder how people with good stats didn't get into medical school. Thanks for giving me the clearest answer I could have ever asked for.

Is this even a common problem?

By the way, maybe you guys aren't cut out to be doctors. If you have to spend every second of your lives til 4am every night just trying to handle the undergrad courses (and really not doing a good job emotionally handling it), maybe you just dont have what it takes. Seriously. It's not for everyone. But no matter what, schools want kids with LEVEL heads and maturity, and who have outside interests, and you exhibit absolutely none of these. After this semester, it's time for you to do some honest re-evaluating.

By the way, maybe you guys aren't cut out to be doctors. If you have to spend every second of your lives til 4am every night just trying to handle the undergrad courses (and really not doing a good job emotionally handling it), maybe you just dont have what it takes. Seriously. It's not for everyone. But no matter what, schools want kids with LEVEL heads and maturity, and who have outside interests, and you exhibit absolutely none of these. After this semester, it's time for you to do some honest re-evaluating.

Thanks doctor Phil.

ive noticed that doctors dont want other people to become doctors. thanks for clarifying my suspicions. how do i know this? a doctor i talked with was AGAINST me studying. thats right. against me studying.

.PS: What kind of college do you go to where "government" is a class? Is it that same one where Zach Morris and the gang went to after graduating from Bayside?

Pretty much any college that has a Political Science department.

ive noticed that doctors dont want other people to become doctors. thanks for clarifying my suspicions. how do i know this? a doctor i talked with was AGAINST me studying. thats right. against me studying.

umm.. are you OK?

So even though I stay up till 4 am every night, have a whole host of health problems, and have a hard time concentrating, I have to look as intelligent as possible, because I worry-"What if she gives me a B because she remembers me yawning?" or "What if she gives me an A- because I said the wrong answer?"

See, you're already doing so many things wrong.

1) You're only staying up until 4am?!?!? I'm sorry, slacker, but do you really want to go to med school? If so, you'll have to study harder than that! Weak sleep addicts like you don't stand a chance. You will have to train yourself to only sleep 2-3 hours a week, like all the other successful pre-meds. Sleeping each night is for losers, wimps, and lazy bums. How do you think Starbucks stays in business???? Real pre-meds BLEED espresso!!!!

2) You try to look as intelligent as possible? You poor, deluded soul. You must look as stupid as possible, so that your professor will take mercy on your pathetic little IQ and give you all the easy questions. Trying to look intelligent just raises the bar and makes life hard.

I cant accept the fact that one question on a test could be teh difference between being a doctor or being miserable for the rest of my life. For example, on last Govt test I missed two questions which I contemplated changing the answers but I didn't. I ended up getting an 86 when I could have gotten a 90.

3) For someone like you, who is clearly so lazy and lacks ambition, I don't see the point in trying to give you advice! The key to being a successful pre-med student is to badger and argue with the teacher over every single point on the test. You must argue, and argue, until the teacher would rather give you an A+ than hear your voice ever again! Even if you were totally, completely, wrong, you must still argue! This is the key!!

Honestly, though, I think that your chances of going to med school are already shot. A B+ in a Government class will be very hard to explain. There are only 2 options left:
1) Offer your first born child to the Director of Admissions at your top choice med school.
2) Travel to Africa, save 35 starving, malaria-ridden African children (not 34, 34 children is not enough!) and write about it in your med school application. Opening up a 24 hour soup kitchen/homeless shelter in your own home is not a bad idea either.

(For all the sane people reading this, yes, I am obviously joking. I just want to see if the OP is looking for actual advice, or just looking for people who will validate his deluded view of med school admissions.)

So even though I stay up till 4 am every night, have a whole host of health problems [...] SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!:(

I see two possibilities here:

A. The OP has physical and mental health problems for which he/she is seeking help on an anonymous message board rather than from a knowledgeable, trained, licensed professional. So it would appear prudent from both a humanitarian and a legal standpoint to refrain from giving any specific advice or comments other than strongly encouraging the OP to seek professional help.

or

B. The OP is a troll, in which case it would be lovely for all of us to stop feeding him/her.

In either case there appears to be little point to this thread.... no?

OP, if you are screaming (with ALL CAPS) for help on this board, you should really seek professional help.

or

troll.gif