Being smart while choosing a new EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you like sports? Volunteer with special Olympics, you can easily sign up for one day volunteer opportunities and being in CA I would think that would be quite often due to good weather etc. you could do that in addition to one of the ones you listed above as it's usually weekend events.

I've done them over there past two years or so and sign up whenever they have them but it's the most enjoyable volunteering I've done

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should look into victim advocacy! Search your states victim services department and then see what kind of local agencies exist to aid victims. Near me, I know of volunteer programs to provide advocacy to violent crime victims, sexual assault, domestic violence, etc. this is a really rewarding EC, exposes you to lots of different types of people experiencing suffering, and is pretty unique (I think).

Reactions: 2 users
Something I really, really enjoyed was being a volunteer literacy tutor -- I did some training and work with immigrants learning English or native English speakers working on getting their GEDs or improving their reading skills. If you live somewhere with a literacy organization, it's worth checking out. Bonus points for having been very well-received while applying since it involves those who are in need in my community and *was something I genuinely loved.*

If you're super into one of the options you listed, go for it, and you'll be happy when you're able to talk about why you did it come application time. I'd encourage you to get off-campus, though, since community involvement seems automatically a bit more unique.

Of the activities you mentioned, I like the working with the elderly the most.

I'd also like to second the Special Olympics suggestion, or broaden it to include non-sports activities with the developmentally disabled.

I just started teaching English as a second language with a group here where I live. I bet there is a huge market for that in California. Get creative! There is so much need the more you look for it. It definitely doesn’t have to be the run of the mill. In fact it’s usually better to be different

I just started teaching English as a second language with a group here where I live. I bet there is a huge market for that in California. Get creative! There is so much need the more you look for it. It definitely doesn’t have to be the run of the mill. In fact it’s usually better to be different
Thanks for commenting! Yeah based on everything I've seen here on SDN, it's better to be different than have the typical cookie cutter type of app. I was just conflicted because I'm in California and I've noticed that many adcoms here emphasize the importance of serving the ones less fortunate than myself for CA applicants. :confused:

Thanks for commenting! Yeah based on everything I've seen here on SDN, it's better to be different than have the typical cookie cutter type of app. I was just conflicted because I'm in California and I've noticed that many adcoms here emphasize the importance of serving the ones less fortunate than myself for CA applicants. :confused:

It’s teaching English to Somalian refugees so definitely those less fortunate! I think even within the bounds of those less fortunate there are a ton of options. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user