Being wait-listed / an alternate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2nd-time-app

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there are two kinds of "waiting lists." One kind that means practically nothing (e.g., you weren't even interviewed, but they want you to know that you were close to being interviewed), and the other kind that means you were interviewed and might actually get an offer, if another offer is declined.

My question is this: given the second scenario (a/k/a being an alternate), should one take action? I am in this situation with a program I really, really want (not to mention the fact that I haven't had any other offers). Upon receiving the disappointing news (by email), I emailed the prof back to re-state my strong interest in the program. But I'm wondering if it is expected (or advised) that people obtain additional letters of recommendation, or something, to increase their odds of being the first pulled from the waiting list. I wasn't told my ranking on the list, despite asking (which might be a bad sign -- don't know).

Any thoughts or insider knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

2nd-time-app said:
I'm pretty sure there are two kinds of "waiting lists." One kind that means practically nothing (e.g., you weren't even interviewed, but they want you to know that you were close to being interviewed), and the other kind that means you were interviewed and might actually get an offer, if another offer is declined.

My question is this: given the second scenario (a/k/a being an alternate), should one take action? I am in this situation with a program I really, really want (not to mention the fact that I haven't had any other offers). Upon receiving the disappointing news (by email), I emailed the prof back to re-state my strong interest in the program. But I'm wondering if it is expected (or advised) that people obtain additional letters of recommendation, or something, to increase their odds of being the first pulled from the waiting list. I wasn't told my ranking on the list, despite asking (which might be a bad sign -- don't know).

Any thoughts or insider knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Me and You are EXACTLY in the same situation currently. Sending them another LOR wont make any difference. I would advise you not too because they wont look at it. IT would be UNFAIR LOL to the others who are alternates. There are 3 or 4 students who still havent accepted there admissions and I applied to 3 out of the 5 professors who were accepting students. So I am just waiting around until they make up there mind. I was told that the alternate list was relatively short. Of my own opinion I think there must be 4 alternates all together, I know one other person in that list LOL. So basically none of us alternates are in order of getting accepted. He said that once someone decline the clinical committee collectively decides who to offer admissions to next. This is the same procedure they used during offering the original accepted students. I suggest asking your professor or the director of the clinical program. How the process goes. It def eased my mind.

At the school where I was an alternate, we were ranked. Another LOR won't help you because the decision isn't based on you, it's based on the person above you on the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, you need some people to not accept in order to give you a chance. Depending on the school and the way they accept, some have overall ranked list, and some have ranked lists by mentor.

So, I don't think that sending any additional reccomendation letters will help or anything. However, I do think expressing interest, saying "you're my number 1 choice" etc may help a little. I might check in every couple weeks (enough to be noticed, not too much to be a bother). They want people who are going to say yes, and keep their acceptance rates high. So, if you were 3rd on the list, but have been saying that you really want to come, and someone else was 2nd and never wrote back, then you may have a shot and jumping over 1 person. Depends on the school and their wait list rules, but it's worth a shot.

psypsypsy said:
Basically, you need some people to not accept in order to give you a chance. Depending on the school and the way they accept, some have overall ranked list, and some have ranked lists by mentor.

So, I don't think that sending any additional reccomendation letters will help or anything. However, I do think expressing interest, saying "you're my number 1 choice" etc may help a little. I might check in every couple weeks (enough to be noticed, not too much to be a bother). They want people who are going to say yes, and keep their acceptance rates high. So, if you were 3rd on the list, but have been saying that you really want to come, and someone else was 2nd and never wrote back, then you may have a shot and jumping over 1 person. Depends on the school and their wait list rules, but it's worth a shot.

Exactly! Thats what I am doing. Hopefully it will work in my favor. I think it has been too.

I'm in the same boat as both of you as well, with being a sort of alternate at my top choice school. In this school's case the prof told me they usually offer admission to 8 and expect people to decline, but this year due to funding they could only offer admission to 4 right away. She never actually used the word "alternate" but she said I was in the top 8 but they don't rank. She added that she can't tell me anything definite but I still have a good chance at being offered admission.
I actually heard from a graduate student at another program that telling the prof that the school is your #1 choice really works, and the profs really consider this when thinking about who to next offer admission to. I did tell her the school was my first choice, and she told me if that is the case, don't make any moves without consulting with her and let her know if I am feeling any time pressures.

So I think if you haven't already this is the only thing you can do. Just have to hope that the other people don't all accept. So the waiting continues....

I'm not sure (I plan to call next week), but I believe that I have likely been wait-listed at my top choice school. Here's what I think though: many of those people who were offered admission at the Clinial Psych PhD programs right away likely got offers from at least one other school as well. I've been meeting so many people at interviews that have had 8 interview and 3 offers. So, I figure that about half of the offers initially extended will probably be declined! Let's all hope this is the case!

My thoughts:

If you are fortunate enough to have received any other offers, it is more acceptable for you to initiate contact with your other schools to find out where you stand.

So far, I have been waitlisted at 2 of the 5 places I interviewed (the other 3 were too recent to have decisions yet). Does anyone know the probability of receiving offers after being waitlisted? Does it make sense to be optimistic about getting into one of these schools, or is it more likely that people on waitlists just won't be accepted? I'm really disappointed since I have been waitlisted by one of my top schools. Thanks for any advice.

Have any of the alternates been lucky yet? I am still waiting could be until april 15th =)

HonieButterfly said:
Have any of the alternates been lucky yet? I am still waiting could be until april 15th =)

I received an offer yesterday as an alternate to a place I interviewed at in late Feb. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and for all of us as we figure out where we'll be living next year!

HonieButterfly said:

congrats to people getting offers after waiting so long!

I haven't heard anything yet either yet from the school I am an alternate at. There is another school that has already given out first round offers but told me they want to give me an offer but that funding is the issue and they are trying to work it out. Apparently they have to wait to see not just who refuses offers in clinical, but in the whole psychology department. I don't know if that is the case at every school, but it seems like this could take a long time to sort out. Even being an alternate and having the person ahead of you decline does not necessarily seem to mean you will automatically get that offer right away. And of course there is always the chance that people hold offers until April 15....

So still waiting.... and getting impatient waiting! :oops:

But on the bright side I have been hearing more and more of people who were alternates getting offers, so let's be hopeful.

Members don't see this ad :)
butterfli73 said:
congrats to people getting offers after waiting so long!

I haven't heard anything yet either yet from the school I am an alternate at. There is another school that has already given out first round offers but told me they want to give me an offer but that funding is the issue and they are trying to work it out. Apparently they have to wait to see not just who refuses offers in clinical, but in the whole psychology department. I don't know if that is the case at every school, but it seems like this could take a long time to sort out. Even being an alternate and having the person ahead of you decline does not necessarily seem to mean you will automatically get that offer right away. And of course there is always the chance that people hold offers until April 15....

So still waiting.... and getting impatient waiting! :oops:

But on the bright side I have been hearing more and more of people who were alternates getting offers, so let's be hopeful.

For those of you who are waitlisted, have any of you contacted the departments since learning that you were waitlisted (to check your status)? I am anxiously waiting to hear from 2 schools, and I really want email them to check on my status and let them know I am still interested, but everyone keeps telling me to sit tight and be patient. Do you think its a bad idea to send a quick email?

Ratch1980 said:
For those of you who are waitlisted, have any of you contacted the departments since learning that you were waitlisted (to check your status)? I am anxiously waiting to hear from 2 schools, and I really want email them to check on my status and let them know I am still interested, but everyone keeps telling me to sit tight and be patient. Do you think its a bad idea to send a quick email?

I was waitlisted at one of two programs that look very good to me...
And, as some of the respondents advocated earlier in this thread, I went ahead and wrote a formal email to the contact person in admissions
expressing my gratitude for their continued consideration of my app. and asked them if there was anything I could do to show my commitment to attending and if they could tell me where I was on the waitlist.

She wrote back right away saying there was nothing she could tell me... and that it's stressful not knowing anything (exactly, thanks) Also that I could send anything I thought might help them to add to my file.
So I'm thinking about sending a writing sample, but I'm not sure.

Long story short, I think it's a great idea to contact the program and express your enthusiasm, etc., since people above you may not say anything and thereby look uninterested.

bluegirl said:
I was waitlisted at one of two programs that look very good to me...
And, as some of the respondents advocated earlier in this thread, I went ahead and wrote a formal email to the contact person in admissions
expressing my gratitude for their continued consideration of my app. and asked them if there was anything I could do to show my commitment to attending and if they could tell me where I was on the waitlist.

She wrote back right away saying there was nothing she could tell me... and that it's stressful not knowing anything (exactly, thanks) Also that I could send anything I thought might help them to add to my file.
So I'm thinking about sending a writing sample, but I'm not sure.

Long story short, I think it's a great idea to contact the program and express your enthusiasm, etc., since people above you may not say anything and thereby look uninterested.

Wow! thats great you get to send them other helpful material. My school that I am wait-listed at told me they have all that they need. So I am assuming they would prefer not to take any other material from alternates.

I have called a top choice school, and I found out from the administrative assistant that I am an alternate, and that the person who I want to work with had one student committ. I'm wondering if it now appropriate to contact my mentor to express my interest, and perhaps how this should be done.

Joe, how many offers you currently holding on to? I'd pick one of them.

joetro said:
I have called a top choice school, and I found out from the administrative assistant that I am an alternate, and that the person who I want to work with had one student committ. I'm wondering if it now appropriate to contact my mentor to express my interest, and perhaps how this should be done.

Do you know how high you are up on the list? I'd inquire that information from the administrative person first.

If it sounds like you have a good shot (they are generally pretty fair about telling you where you stand in my experience), then by all means, express your interest and enthusiasm to the professor. I'd just write a brief note reiterating your appreciation for consideration and emphasizing the strength of the match.

I thought applying for grad schools and waiting to see if you recieved an invite for an invitation was nerve recking. However, nothing has driven me to an anxious state as much as being an alternate at your top school as well as the only school. I have been an alternate since march 4th when I was notified and I speak to my potential mentor every week and he tells me the same thing that not everyone accepted offers and that they will let us know asap if anything changes. This is a horrible process and I just hope I am not called on april 15th... I've been waiting to long as it is. LOL thanks I needed to vent. :D

HonieButterfly said:
I thought applying for grad schools and waiting to see if you recieved an invite for an invitation was nerve recking. However, nothing has driven me to an anxious state as much as being an alternate at your top school as well as the only school. I have been an alternate since march 4th when I was notified and I speak to my potential mentor every week and he tells me the same thing that not everyone accepted offers and that they will let us know asap if anything changes. This is a horrible process and I just hope I am not called on april 15th... I've been waiting to long as it is. LOL thanks I needed to vent. :D

hey, I just wanted to commiserate with you. Nothing is worse than waiting... and waiting once everything is out of your control and in the hands of others is beyond nerve wracking! I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the good news soon!

HonieButterfly said:

Hey I also totally understand how you feel, it seems like each possible step of this process just gets more and more stressful. It's so frustrating also when you know that you really want to go to a school and the other people can't make up their mind about it! I am also really annoyed at funding issues, as this seems to be a problem in two schools where I am concerned, as although they seem to want me they have to find funding. The closer it gets to April the more and more anxious I get as well.

I noticed you said you speak to your potential mentor every week. Have you been contacing him or does he update you? I don't know if I should ask my potential prof, I last heard from her over 2 weeks ago and I would hope that she would let me know on her own of any changes.

Anyway it's nice to know we are not alone in this awful process. :)

butterfli73 said:
Hey I also totally understand how you feel, it seems like each possible step of this process just gets more and more stressful. It's so frustrating also when you know that you really want to go to a school and the other people can't make up their mind about it! I am also really annoyed at funding issues, as this seems to be a problem in two schools where I am concerned, as although they seem to want me they have to find funding. The closer it gets to April the more and more anxious I get as well.

I noticed you said you speak to your potential mentor every week. Have you been contacing him or does he update you? I don't know if I should ask my potential prof, I last heard from her over 2 weeks ago and I would hope that she would let me know on her own of any changes.

Anyway it's nice to know we are not alone in this awful process. :)

I am always contacting him but he gives me the indication everytime that we should "stay in touch" or " that I can contact him if I have futher questions". I dont think I will be asking him about this anymore. I will just wait.

Well all this stress and waiting and all has really paid off.... I just got an offer from the school I was an alternate at!! I am just about positive I will go there but there is another school that has been trying to get me funding for an offer so I have to deal with that as well if they give me the offer in the near future, and find out a bit more about that one, as it kinda came out of nowhere.

But the point is hang in there everyone... it is possible to get off the alternate list and onto the acceptance list! :D :D

butterfli73 said:
Well all this stress and waiting and all has really paid off.... I just got an offer from the school I was an alternate at!! I am just about positive I will go there but there is another school that has been trying to get me funding for an offer so I have to deal with that as well if they give me the offer in the near future, and find out a bit more about that one, as it kinda came out of nowhere.

But the point is hang in there everyone... it is possible to get off the alternate list and onto the acceptance list! :D :D

CONGRATS! Thanks I know I will be hanging in til the end.

Has anyone been or heard of someone being called on April 15th to recieve an offer? How poassible is that

HonieButterfly said:
Has anyone been or heard of someone being called on April 15th to recieve an offer? How poassible is that

It is very possible. I know several people who had it happen.

I've heard of 10pm 4/14. I don't want to give you false hope or anything. I would imagine it is unlikely, but possible. Are you thinking about a place that you have interviewed at?

Psyclops said:
I've heard of 10pm 4/14. I don't want to give you false hope or anything. I would imagine it is unlikely, but possible. Are you thinking about a place that you have interviewed at?

This wait is killing me. I am waitlisted at two schools...It is already April 1st...

Psyclops said:

I was notified on march 4th that I was an alternate so I am banking on that. Its been a LONG LONG Wait. They told us that once offers were accepted they would notify us immediately. Therefore, I am sure it has not. Just a long wait and Im exhausted but also thrilled I have not been rejected. Been so long I am starting to believe I will get in. :laugh:

Oh man, I don't know how you are handling the wait. I would lose it.

HonieButterfly said:
I was notified on march 4th that I was an alternate so I am banking on that. Its been a LONG LONG Wait. They told us that once offers were accepted they would notify us immediately. Therefore, I am sure it has not. Just a long wait and Im exhausted but also thrilled I have not been rejected. Been so long I am starting to believe I will get in. :laugh:

HonieB., you're so positive! It's so hard...At one school, I've been waitlisted since Feb. 23! My top choice, I was waitlisted on March 7th! I don't know what to think...I did the same as you...I emailed my top choice telling the prof that it was my 1st choice and was still extremely interested...he keeps saying keep in touch...

s3v_Clinical said:
HonieB., you're so positive! It's so hard...At one school, I've been waitlisted since Feb. 23! My top choice, I was waitlisted on March 7th! I don't know what to think...I did the same as you...I emailed my top choice telling the prof that it was my 1st choice and was still extremely interested...he keeps saying keep in touch...

EXACTLY! well 2 more weeks left..hang in there

I am waitlisted at my number one choice. There has never been a wait like this in my entire life, it is unbelievable.

Good luck to everyone in the same boat. Hopefully we will all be updating this thread with acceptances soon!

HonieButterfly said:
EXACTLY! well 2 more weeks left..hang in there

Ahh...Yesterday I emailed one of the profs. I wanted to work with at one of the schools I am wait-listed at...He said that one offer is out right now, but if that person declines, I am pretty much next on the list...This is so crucial...It literally comes down to that one person!

when schools say you need to let them know by april 15th, what does that mean exactly? if they need a deposit, does it need to be in their hands by april 15th (so sent earlier) or just postmarked the 15th? i guess the only people who can afford to stay on a waitlist on or past the 15th are people who aren't in anywhere they want to go....

Last year, I was on the waitlist at one school until April 11. At that point I had narrowed down to one school and the waitlist school and in the end I couldn't wait anymore, and chose the school I had already been accepted to. In the end I heard the guy who was holding the acceptance at the school I waitlisted at, accepted on April 15.

I think you have until April 15 at 5pm to notify the school in writing (email) or by phone that you will be attending.

So, if someone declines a spot ON April 15th, will the school contact the next wait-listed applicant with an offer or does that spot just dissapear?

I'm pretty sure they will contact the next wait-listed person on the list. Professors generally want to fill up their available spots. The spots won't just dissappear. I am pretty sure you can check the APA website for the correct etiquette on what happens AFTER April 15, but on that day, they can still offer out the spot to the next person on the list.

Ok, I have a question regarding how/when wait listed applicants are contacted. I know that people who are initially offered admission have until April 15 to hold that offer but they have to make their final decision by the 15th. The fact that the 15th is a Saturday (and Easter weekend) this year is kind of throwing me off - does that mean wait listed people might have to wait until NEXT week to potentially get a call? Or would programs be open on Saturday? If so - would they call all wait listed people that will be getting an offer on that day? Or would they offer a few of them admission and then give them a day or two to think about it and then after that, possibly offer more wait listers admission if they still don't have the incoming class size they want? Sorry for all the questions, I'm REALLY not good at this waiting game and I want to know what I can expect! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! Good luck everybody! :luck:

volley said:
Ok, I have a question regarding how/when wait listed applicants are contacted. I know that people who are initially offered admission have until April 15 to hold that offer but they have to make their final decision by the 15th. The fact that the 15th is a Saturday (and Easter weekend) this year is kind of throwing me off - does that mean wait listed people might have to wait until NEXT week to potentially get a call? Or would programs be open on Saturday? If so - would they call all wait listed people that will be getting an offer on that day? Or would they offer a few of them admission and then give them a day or two to think about it and then after that, possibly offer more wait listers admission if they still don't have the incoming class size they want? Sorry for all the questions, I'm REALLY not good at this waiting game and I want to know what I can expect! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!! Good luck everybody! :luck:

I heard this year that the date is extended technically until the 17th, because the 15th is on a weekend. So if that is true I guess people can hold offers til then, and then the schools can begin to notify people. I am not 100% sure about this so if it matters you might want to double check.

butterfli73 said:
I heard this year that the date is extended technically until the 17th, because the 15th is on a weekend. So if that is true I guess people can hold offers til then, and then the schools can begin to notify people. I am not 100% sure about this so if it matters you might want to double check.

I heard about April 17th as well.. Also I heard that when they do call you they basically ask you for the decision right there and then on the phone so I would say be prepared to have a decision. I heard they will contact alternates until all spots are full. These programs have deadlines too so I dont think they have time to give one or two days more to decided. Also, a few professors has told me some programs will do this. Its unfair but I understand too.

One of the schools I interviewed at said that they have had people deciline (although rarely - but it happens every few years) over the summer due to some type of extenuating circumstance - illness, pregnancy, etc. What about that? So would they technically call you in the middle of the summer and beg you to come?

coloradocutter said:
One of the schools I interviewed at said that they have had people deciline (although rarely - but it happens every few years) over the summer due to some type of extenuating circumstance - illness, pregnancy, etc. What about that? So would they technically call you in the middle of the summer and beg you to come?

that happened to one of the psychologists I work with. She got a call in August. It was her third application round too. And, I must say, she's pretty damn famous now.

So April 15th is almost hear folks. :oops: I believe since it falls on a saturday people who are wait-listed would not be contacted till monday about an offer so April 17th is what really counts. Well for me its been the worst wait ever but I am happy to know soon either way so I can figure out what I want to do with my life for a year if I dont get in. Well hopefully some of us will still get some great news this week and next. ::crossing fingers:: :)

Do you think people on the alternate list will start hearing news on Monday the 17th. I am waitlisted at 2 schools, but figured that they have already contacted people on the waitlist. I have not heard one way or another at either school. I have been e-mailing both schools and either get vague responses or no response at all. I have begun to take this as a good thing because I think if they knew that I had no chance, they would tell me. What do ya'll think??? I have expressed extreme interest at both schools to the extent where I said that I want to go there so bad, I would go without funding. My main question though is will people on alternate lists hear something on the 17th??

Thor2211 said:
Do you think people on the alternate list will start hearing news on Monday the 17th. I am waitlisted at 2 schools, but figured that they have already contacted people on the waitlist. I have not heard one way or another at either school. I have been e-mailing both schools and either get vague responses or no response at all. I have begun to take this as a good thing because I think if they knew that I had no chance, they would tell me. What do ya'll think??? I have expressed extreme interest at both schools to the extent where I said that I want to go there so bad, I would go without funding. My main question though is will people on alternate lists hear something on the 17th??

Wow! I expressed interest like you too. But you must really want to go to that school if even without funding. I hope you get in. If I dont get funding I doubt I would go and my faculty mentor advised me to just wait til next yr if that did happen. My potential advisor told me that I could hear something on april 17th since april 15th is the weekend. It makes sense so yes I do believe alternates could hear something the 17th.

The no funding thing was more or less just something that I said on the spot when talking to the clinical director. I don't think I would really pay my whole was through school without any funding. I just wanted to express my interest for the school. Do you think I should look forward to hearing from alternates either way on April 17th or just if it is good news? Also, could I hear before th 17th...today or tomorrow???

Thor2211 said:
The no funding thing was more or less just something that I said on the spot when talking to the clinical director. I don't think I would really pay my whole was through school without any funding. I just wanted to express my interest for the school. Do you think I should look forward to hearing from alternates either way on April 17th or just if it is good news? Also, could I hear before th 17th...today or tomorrow???

I think everything is possible. You could hear this week or you could hear monday. You could also hear bad new just the same. I would assume we should hear if we've been moved up or basically the spots are filled next week.

HonieButterfly said:
I think everything is possible. You could hear this week or you could hear monday. You could also hear bad new just the same. I would assume we should hear if we've been moved up or basically the spots are filled next week.

Anything is possible everyone!! I know HonieB and I have been waiting for what seems like forever. I was waitlisted at two schools...I was notified on the 8th that I didn't get into one of them...really disappointed, but yesterday on the 12th I got my offer!!! Hang in there b/c people are still sitting on the offers, and I know the Director of Clinical Training at the program that accepted me said that he would extend their deadline until the 17th (APA advised this).