Being wait-listed / an alternate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok so the weirdest thing happened today. I'm currently waitlisted at one school (for a PsyD program) and I'm waiting to hear back from a second school (they rejected me for PsyD but recommended that I have my application considered for their masters program). When I checked the mail today, I got a big envelope from a totally different school that had rejected me as a PsyD applicant - turns out they're offering me admission into their Masters in Counseling program! I went out there for an interview (for PsyD) and loved the school and was so upset when I was rejected - in the rejection letter they told me to contact the admissions office if I wanted to be considered for their masters program but I didn't do it b/c at the time I was still waiting for a number of other programs - apparently they sent my app over to the masters people anyway (and just didn't tell me) and they offered me admission!!!!!!! :D It is such a relief to know that I will be going to grad school in the fall, I just have to wait about one more week to find out what all my options are! Hang in there everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations S3V and volley! This really shows you that nothing is for sure in this process. It seems anything can really happen.

If this application process is this much of a roller coaster I can only imagine what is in store for us once we start the programs! :p

I can't take this! I am waitlisted at 3 schools- 2 of which have given me absolutely no indication of my chances of acceptance. When do you all think we might hear? Monday or Tuesday, or do you think it will take longer than that for programs to contact alternates? And why don't some programs let people know whether or not they might really have a chance? It's ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
NervousApp said:
I can't take this! I am waitlisted at 3 schools- 2 of which have given me absolutely no indication of my chances of acceptance. When do you all think we might hear? Monday or Tuesday, or do you think it will take longer than that for programs to contact alternates? And why don't some programs let people know whether or not they might really have a chance? It's ridiculous.

Nervous,
Did you contact the schools/profs through email?

s3v_Clinical said:
Nervous,
Did you contact the schools/profs through email?

Yup, several times. One school told me that many people have accepted and my chances aren't good, but the other two will not tell me ANYTHING. I email and get no response, and when I call, they say there has been no change (yeah right, that's ridiculous). It's starting to get infuriating- they should at least say whether or not a large number of people have accepted, refused, etc. Sorry for the vent!

NervousApp said:
Yup, several times. One school told me that many people have accepted and my chances aren't good, but the other two will not tell me ANYTHING. I email and get no response, and when I call, they say there has been no change (yeah right, that's ridiculous). It's starting to get infuriating- they should at least say whether or not a large number of people have accepted, refused, etc. Sorry for the vent!

Your right! They dont tell you anything and I am dont believe for one minute nothing hasnt changed. I think things do change but they dont want you to feel as if your 1st or last or in between. I think there are cases in which things didnt change but either way we should be more informed.

Are people getting anxious about hearing the news tomorrow and Tuesday? I am!

:luck: :luck: :luck: Good luck today and tomorrow everybody!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm at the point where I'm not optimistic at all... I still haven't heard. :(

NervousApp said:
I'm at the point where I'm not optimistic at all... I still haven't heard. :(

If that's in regards to a wait/hold list - don't worry! It's still very early on in the day and I'm guessing there will be a few calls tomorrow as well! Good luck!!! :luck:

I think that most school's faculty are going to have a meeting at the end of the day today to discuss who is going to be selected off the waitlist. I wouldn't worry if you have not heard yet. Give it until after 5:00 and all day tomorrow before you start to worry.

Thanks everyone. :) And good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got a call from widener (psyd) and got in off the waitlist, so i'll be there next year :)

Anybody that hears anything from the waiting list, please post

I guess tomorrow is the day. I called one school today and they said that they are only calling people that got in off of the waitlist. Others will be notified by mail.

Thor2211 said:
I guess tomorrow is the day. I called one school today and they said that they are only calling people that got in off of the waitlist. Others will be notified by mail.

Has anybody (who was wait listed) heard anything today?! I'm getting anxious!!! :scared:

volley said:
Has anybody (who was wait listed) heard anything today?! I'm getting anxious!!! :scared:

Nope, I haven't heard a word yet. :(

Is anyone going to call the schools today, or are you going to wait a while for them to (hopefully) call you?

Thor2211 said:
I am going to call them this afternoon

FYI: Xavier's class is full now. :(

Has anyone else heard anything? I still haven't. I will try to call them this afternoon. :(

Hey -- I wish I'd found you guys sooner because I just went through the same thing, being an alternate for two programs, so I really do feel your pain. I got the bad news about one on April 14th and the other on April 19th. I also went through days of "no news" until finally I did e-mail the contact person and let her know that I would appreciate hearing the results via e-mail so I could better decide what to do with other options I had. She did e-mail me on the 19th with the news the other person accepted the offer. So now, what I'm left with after applying to 10 schools is one offer, but the catch is that the offer is from a freestanding school. It's one of the best freestanding schools but the problem is that tuition is around $30,000 and the cost of living in the area is very high. The most funding they offer is $5000, which wouldn't even begin to cover it for me even if I took out the max student loan. So, it looks like I will have to turn down that offer and start all over again next year, unless I decide to go for a PhD in a different area. Since I have an MSW I am considering PhD programs in Social Work (I already have an offer from one place and am awaiting news on another). I'm still thinking things over on where to go from here and whether I have the fortitude to go through this all over again next year.

Well, I heard from my top choice and I'm not in. The other programs are too expensive (plus I haven't heard from them yet), so this is it for me this year. I might apply again next year if I can stomach it. Good luck to the rest of you.

Hey Nervous,

I'm really sorry to hear your disappointing news about this year...
But don't give up yet, go ahead and apply again next year...
Maybe do a couple things to improve your application. This was a record year
for applications, so in the end so many people were rejected kind of arbitrarily.

Good luck!!

NervousApp said:
Well, I heard from my top choice and I'm not in. The other programs are too expensive (plus I haven't heard from them yet), so this is it for me this year. I might apply again next year if I can stomach it. Good luck to the rest of you.

NervousApp,

Definitely don't give up. I applied three years in a row before I was finally accepted (and into my top choice school!). Honestly, looking back, I am so glad I got rejected those two years--I was able to gain significant experience in the field and had so many wonderful opportunities that I would not have had otherwise. I'm also so much more committed to working in the field of mental health. Although I will be in my 30's by the time I'm finished with school, at least I know that this is my "life's calling." (And to think, I almost gave up and applied to law school).