Bellevue = Hellvue! King's County = Killer County (NYT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetMeFixYou

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/21/nyregion/21hospital.html

"In the last 12 months, police officers were called to Bellevue 522 times, 12 for criminal activity."

"The police similarly responded to 894 calls last year at Kings County Hospital Center in Prospect-Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn, including 21 for crimes, eight of them serious."

I guarantee this is a GEOGRAPHIC problem that is UNIQUE TO NY Hospitals.

More and more and more I say OUT of the city and let the good (safe) time's role!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else worried about safety at NYU or Downstate?

Anyone heard anything about problems with safety at these schools?

Its very rare for med students to run into problems at these institutions,although it can happen.Usually if there is a crime its between patients or family members of patients.8 serious crimes at Kings county in a year? Its a hospital center which functions almost like a small city with thousands of people passing through the clinics and facilities in a month.There are pluses and minuses to training a big city hospitals.some people very much enjoy working in that situation.For others calmer suburban places are better learning environments.

Members don't see this ad :)
:mad: You don't know what you are talking about. You are taking news reports and stats to predict that life is dangerous in the city. I did an intership at Bellevue for 3 yrs and I never had a run in with patients or found them dangerous. Have you possibly though that police are called as a precaution, post 9-11. You are really naive to assume and jump to conclusions, and I am really tring to be nice here and not call you an idiot!!!

A real New Yorker.

tjackson said:
You are really naive to assume and jump to conclusions, and I am really tring to be nice here and not call you an idiot!!!

A real New Yorker.

Please explain to me as to why a stray bullet went through the window of a Downstate student's dorm room last year.

Also, please explain how a number of years ago a resident at Bellevue received a nearly fatal gunshot wound to his chest.

A "real" New Yorker is not defined by a cavalier attitude but by one's geographic disposition and way of life.

I know plenty of New Yorkers, including yours truly, that wouldn't ever think of walking on 10th or 11th avenue after 9pm or even going north of 110th late at night.

BioMedResearch said:
I know plenty of New Yorkers, including yours truly, that wouldn't ever think of walking on 10th or 11th avenue after 9pm or even going north of 110th late at night.

Sorry to say, but that makes you foolish. I LIVE north of 110th (118th to be exact) and I walk alone all over this area all the time, including at night. I don't think twice about it and I don't know anyone here who does either. I don't know anyone personally that has been a victim of crime here on campus other than a stolen laptop here and there. (and walking around = off campus as well so don't give me the whole, but you're on campus argument).

NY gets a bad reputation. It has certain areas that are not exactly prime real estate, but the same can be said for so many other cities in the country. I want to see you go through Overtown in Miami after 9pm. Crime happens everywhere, and according to the FBI, it doesn't happen very often in NYC (crime statistics).

some data to prove that: http://www.morganquitno.com/cit04pop.htm

Be smart about where you are and what you are doing, there is crime everywhere. Yes there are occurances but keep in mind the slant of the media, and juicy story they will jump on. There also are circumstances that can occur with the best security (look at Iraq) and no I don't walk alone at 3 in the morning, that would be stupid.

My friend is currently a student at Downstate for 2 years now with no problems.

I went to undergrad in the city and we never travelled alone and knew about things to avoid, but don't condem locations that provide need health care.

plus, what's the big deal with safety anyway. you go over to your little suburban hospital and see 1 patient with anything interesting all day. the surgeon i interviewed with at downstate said he would let a med student do an appy as long as the student showed that s/he could suture fine. city hospitals are the real deal, everything else is just blah.

Quickread said:
city hospitals are the real deal, everything else is just blah.

So I assume Yale, Dartmouth, Mayo, and Hopkins are almost up to par since they are in smaller cities and the larger the city the better the education?

BioMedResearch said:
So I assume Yale, Dartmouth, Mayo, and Hopkins are almost up to par since they are in smaller cities and the larger the city the better the education?

last time i checked, baltimore wasnt exactly a suburb, i didnt say size of city, i said city vs. freakin boondocks.

Quickread said:
i didnt say size of city, i said city vs. freakin boondocks.

So Stony Brook is the worst school ever since it is in suburbia?

BioMedResearch said:
So Stony Brook is the worst school ever since it is in suburbia?

i think what some of the people are trying to say is that King's County offers alot more clinical diversity than a hospital in the suburbs. i love stony brook and might end up going there, but their strong point is research....ur not going to see as many different types of patients there as u would in brooklyn

both have upsides, depending on what you want out of your medical education

clinical diversity is great and patient volume is awesome. you're not going to learn anything by seeing 3 old ladies a day with bedsores. but then again, i think there is some value to learning "bread and butter" diseases while in medical school. complex disease pathologies are a dime a dozen at large hospitals and i dont know how much sense it makes to learn about some form of complicated/rare pnemonia when you've never seen a run of the mill case before. perhaps training done after medical school ie residency/fellowship would serve these interests. i would say a city hospital is good and so is a suburban setting. three cheers for rotational diversity in med school! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: