Program-Specific Info / Q's Belmont University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOTDOTR/L

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just informed that I got an interview with Belmont on November 10th!! I'm very excited because this is my top choice for OT school!! I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I also know we have to do a writing sample.. I have no idea what to expect for that. Anything will help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!! I interviewed at Belmont yesterday as well. I was wondering what you guys thought of the whole process. I went in pretty confident but after seeing how many people were there I'm really nervous.... I also didn't like how each interview was only 10 minutes. I feel like the interviewers didn't get to know me at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys!! I interviewed at Belmont yesterday as well. I was wondering what you guys thought of the whole process. I went in pretty confident but after seeing how many people were there I'm really nervous.... I also didn't like how each interview was only 10 minutes. I feel like the interviewers didn't get to know me at all.
I had the same exact feelings. Belmont was my top choice but I was not really wowed by how they did things yesterday

I had the same exact feelings. Belmont was my top choice but I was not really wowed by how they did things yesterday
I wasn't either. Interviewing 100 people at once seemed a little crazy to me. And I heard they barely accept anyone by next week; they tend to defer most.

I wasn't either. Interviewing 100 people at once seemed a little crazy to me. And I heard they barely accept anyone by next week; they tend to defer most.
I kind of agree with the number of people they had there...very overwhelming. I read somewhere that they'll accept up to 50% of the class from the first round (so like 18-20) but could obviously not be true. They said this was the first year they did 2 10 minute interviews instead of 1 20 minute interview.

I kind of agree with the number of people they had there...very overwhelming. I read somewhere that they'll accept up to 50% of the class from the first round (so like 18-20) but could obviously not be true. They said this was the first year they did 2 10 minute interviews instead of 1 20 minute interview.

Do you know what they weigh most heavily in the admissions process?

Do you know what they weigh most heavily in the admissions process?
Apparently they told the parents that went that when they accept people this first round they are looking for students who are “prepared for graduate school” and “well rounded” so pretty vague but they made it seem that it wasn’t strictly based on GPA and GRE

Apparently they told the parents that went that when they accept people this first round they are looking for students who are “prepared for graduate school” and “well rounded” so pretty vague but they made it seem that it wasn’t strictly based on GPA and GRE

Well that's good to hear! I feel like every person interviewing there seemed very well qualified and well-rounded so it will be interesting to see what happens

Reactions: 1 user
I think overall I was just really frustrated with how they went about the interview process. Having 100+ applicants there when I walked in was like "oh wow, i guess they just invited everyone who was pretty much qualified versus people they actually think would be a good fit for their program". I was in the A group so I had my interview first, which was a little daunting. Also having two interviewers ask only 3 questions each...I feel like they didn't really get to know "me" as a person. The campus and facilities are beautiful, I just don't know how I feel right now about it all...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think overall I was just really frustrated with how they went about the interview process. Having 100+ applicants there when I walked in was like "oh wow, i guess they just invited everyone who was pretty much qualified versus people they actually think would be a good fit for their program". I was in the A group so I had my interview first, which was a little daunting. Also having two interviewers ask only 3 questions each...I feel like they didn't really get to know "me" as a person. The campus and facilities are beautiful, I just don't know how I feel right now about it all...
I completely agree. From the moment I walked in the door I was already discouraged. And I feel like they really must have invited everyone who was qualified versus really looking at everyone's applications beforehand. I am also worried that my interviewers didn't get to know me at all, I definitely didn't leave feeling confident about them. Also, for the writing sample, I kept mine to a page but talked to many others who went well beyond a page. I'm nervous about that because I could have made my essay sound much better if I went over their page limit but I didn't want them to see that I didn't follow the directions and just throw my application out

I completely agree. From the moment I walked in the door I was already discouraged. And I feel like they really must have invited everyone who was qualified versus really looking at everyone's applications beforehand. I am also worried that my interviewers didn't get to know me at all, I definitely didn't leave feeling confident about them. Also, for the writing sample, I kept mine to a page but talked to many others who went well beyond a page. I'm nervous about that because I could have made my essay sound much better if I went over their page limit but I didn't want them to see that I didn't follow the directions and just throw my application out
Dang! I kept my writing sample to one page too! I wrote more than one and then cut things out to make it a page. Maybe we got bonus points for following directions haha

Mine was a page as well, what group were you in? I talked to about 6-7 people in the A group and we all kept it to a page or less. But maybe because the essay was the last thing we did and we were all tired by then lol

Mine was a page as well, what group were you in? I talked to about 6-7 people in the A group and we all kept it to a page or less. But maybe because the essay was the last thing we did and we were all tired by then lol
I had somebody also there for the interview tell me that they use the essay specifically to see if you can follow directions so to make sure we stay to the page limit. I have no idea where she heard that info but I did keep mine to a page lol.

Reactions: 3 users
At this point I'm trying not get my hopes up. I'm pretty much expecting a deferral...
As soon as I left Belmont on Friday I was already expecting to not get in... sucks but the odds are not in my favor :(

As soon as I left Belmont on Friday I was already expecting to not get in... sucks but the odds are not in my favor :(

I feel like it’s better to just expect the deferral but hope I get in... expect the worst, hope for the best... I’ll be interested to see what people get!

Reactions: 2 users
I just got my email being deferred - not too bummed because I expected this after seeing everyone there on Friday.

I just got my email being deferred - not too bummed because I expected this after seeing everyone there on Friday.
I got deferred as well, which was definitely expected. I guess there's still hope! Just sucks that we have to wait until January or February to find out.

Did anyone actually get accepted? Lol

When did you guys receive your emails? I haven't seen anything

I haven't received anything yet....maybe cause my last name starts with a Z?

I haven't received anything yet....maybe cause my last name starts with a Z?
I was thinking the same thing but my last name starts with a D and I haven't received anything either lol I guess they just send responses out in waves

Do you think if we get straight up rejected we will get an email?

What groups were yall in?? Maybe theyre sending out emails by groups

Do you think if we get straight up rejected we will get an email?

I am wondering the same thing! I was in group C too and keep refreshing my email. Tempted to call and see if they send emails to everyone, or if denials get sent in the mail.

I am wondering the same thing! I was in group C too and keep refreshing my email. Tempted to call and see if they send emails to everyone, or if denials get sent in the mail.
It could be that they sent out the deferrals and rejections first and then the acceptances. I'm sure no news is a good thing!

let me know what they say if you call.....

They said they will email us no matter what the decision is, so at least we won't have to wait for the actual mail!
Did you call them today? Did they say why some decisions were sent out already and others were not?

nyone have an interview coming up for OT school? I have one this Saturday at Belmont for the MSOT weekend program. Any suggestions or advice to share? Has anyone been through the interview process at Belmont?

nyone have an interview coming up for OT school? I have one this Saturday at Belmont for the MSOT weekend program. Any suggestions or advice to share? Has anyone been through the interview process at Belmont?
Yeah, I was like one of the 10 out of 120 interview applicants that got accepted to the OTD program. It might be different for the MSOT process. For the OTD they called in every single qualified applicant rather than candidates they thought would be a good fit to their program. That made it really overwhelming and competitive. If they do it the same they will break everyone up into 3 groups. One group does their interview, one group does a facilities tour, and the other group does a writing sample in a computer lab. Then you switch. It is pretty easy, you'll interview for 10 minutes with one professor/administrator/faculty member, then move to another room and interview with another person for 10 more minutes. They ask 3 questions each and its expected you take up the whole time so have questions prepared for them. Good luck!

Yeah, I was like one of the 10 out of 120 interview applicants that got accepted to the OTD program. It might be different for the MSOT process. For the OTD they called in every single qualified applicant rather than candidates they thought would be a good fit to their program. That made it really overwhelming and competitive. If they do it the same they will break everyone up into 3 groups. One group does their interview, one group does a facilities tour, and the other group does a writing sample in a computer lab. Then you switch. It is pretty easy, you'll interview for 10 minutes with one professor/administrator/faculty member, then move to another room and interview with another person for 10 more minutes. They ask 3 questions each and its expected you take up the whole time so have questions prepared for them. Good luck!
Thank you! If I may ask, what kinds of questions do they ask?

Well for us one of the questions was why the OTD over the MSOT program, so you won't get that one. Just general stuff on why you would fit their program and about conflict resolution and whatnot