Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a 101% on my BIO Test!!! Awwwwww ya my first test in a Science that I've ever gotten a full score woooo

Was on Microbio, average was a 66% ;)

ALSO, what do you guys think about Double Majoring? I would like to take extra classes to boost my GPA and I still have plenty of time to decide. I need 180 units to graduate with a degree in Human Biology, but with a double major in Public Health (b.s.), it brings me to a max of 240 units. This would significantly increase my GPA (I believe), and allow me to take additional upper div. science courses. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was in this position a few years ago, and now I have finished my first year of medical school! AACOMAS grade replacement is the key...
I graduated with a BS in molecular biology from a well-respected research university in 2005 with a 2.8 GPA. Got a bunch of Fs for not showing up for class, didn't really care about my grades. Had a ton of fun, though :) A few years later, decided I wanted to be a doctor, took MCAT (31), applied to a bunch of DO schools. No interviews. Quit my job, did 2 semesters of grade-repair coursework at the same university I graduated from. Post-bac GPA of 3.94 bumped up my overall GPA to 3.1, was accepted to every DO school I interviewed at. Didn't bother applying to MD because they don't do grade replacement, and I don't really care about MD vs DO. Finished first year at top of my class.
You guys can do this and I'm looking forward to hearing your success stories in the future!
I'm confused- some post say there is grade replacement while others say there is not---which one is it? Does the grade get replaced or does it get averaged( have heard both)?

Hi, everyone.

My GPA is below 3.0. I graduated with a Biology degree a few years ago and my overall GPA was 2.63.

In my prerequisites for medical school I earned mostly okay grades, but I could have done so much better.

Physics 1 - B
Physics 2 - A
General Chemistry 1 - B
General Chemistry 2 - B
General Biology 1 - C
General Biology 2 - C
Organic Chemistry 1 - B
Organic Chemistry 2 - B

Anyway, since I graduated I have been working as a laboratory technician. I was surprised that I actually got a job as a lab tech because my confidence was so low because of my GPA.

I have started to reconsider medical school since I finished undergrad. I have been studying for the MCAT and I plan to take it January 2014. I found a post-baccalaureate program that I meet the minimum admissions requirements for so I will apply for the 2015-2016 cycle but I am very worried about letters of recommendation. In undergrad I didn't do research or get to know my instructors so I don't know who I could ask for a letter after I have already been gone for almost 2 years.

In order to get potential letters I have also just started a clinical care extender internship at a local hospital so that I can get some experience working with patients and shadowing doctors. Since I can't trust that any of my undergrad instructors would remember me and have anything nice to say I have enrolled in a science course at a local community college that starts in late August.

I really have my plate full because I will be working full-time (40 hours a week) as a lab technician, volunteering as a clinical care extender part-time (2o hours), taking an anatomy course, and studying for the MCAT.

I am 27 years old and I really want to start my post-bacc ASAP so that I can get into medical school by the time I am 29 (I feel so old).

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What was your outcome? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused- some post say there is grade replacement while others say there is not---which one is it? Does the grade get replaced or does it get averaged( have heard both)?

DO schools, except North Texas, will replace the old grade with the new grade in calculating your gpa. The retake class credit hours must be equal to or greater to the old class.

MD schools average out a retake instead of outright dropping the old grade and replacing it with the new

Hi, everyone.

My GPA is below 3.0. I graduated with a Biology degree a few years ago and my overall GPA was 2.63.

In my prerequisites for medical school I earned mostly okay grades, but I could have done so much better.

Physics 1 - B
Physics 2 - A
General Chemistry 1 - B
General Chemistry 2 - B
General Biology 1 - C
General Biology 2 - C
Organic Chemistry 1 - B
Organic Chemistry 2 - B

Anyway, since I graduated I have been working as a laboratory technician. I was surprised that I actually got a job as a lab tech because my confidence was so low because of my GPA.

I have started to reconsider medical school since I finished undergrad. I have been studying for the MCAT and I plan to take it January 2014. I found a post-baccalaureate program that I meet the minimum admissions requirements for so I will apply for the 2015-2016 cycle but I am very worried about letters of recommendation. In undergrad I didn't do research or get to know my instructors so I don't know who I could ask for a letter after I have already been gone for almost 2 years.

In order to get potential letters I have also just started a clinical care extender internship at a local hospital so that I can get some experience working with patients and shadowing doctors. Since I can't trust that any of my undergrad instructors would remember me and have anything nice to say I have enrolled in a science course at a local community college that starts in late August.

I really have my plate full because I will be working full-time (40 hours a week) as a lab technician, volunteering as a clinical care extender part-time (2o hours), taking an anatomy course, and studying for the MCAT.

I am 27 years old and I really want to start my post-bacc ASAP so that I can get into medical school by the time I am 29 (I feel so old).

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What was your outcome? Thanks.

I'm 27 as well and applying next year. I'm taking the mcat this November. I was working full time plus volunteering last fall but my grades started to slip. So I had go part time on the weekend.

Besides those 2 Cs in Biology, your preq grades aren't too bad. What other science classes have you taken?

Thank you so much!!! Oh darn, I was hoping OChem II could be replaced by Biochem. I figured taking Biochem shouldn't hurt though, especially with the new MCAT, so if my school allows me to (they require OChem II before Biochem but the department head can allow some people to take Biochem early), I plan on taking Biochem 1 + lab (I have to take the lab according to my school, uuuugh more work), Bio 1 + lab, and OChem 1 again, no lab (thank god!). I plan on taking the Jan MCAT (will go through the contents of Bio 2 and Physics 2 on my own during the winter break while taking FL tests, BUT planning for another retake in May or June, right after Bio 2 and Physics 2, just in case) before the new version comes out and hoping for the best as I apply for post-bac programs. Touro's NY/CA post-bac will allow me to replace Orgo II with Biochem, so if I don't get into any post-bac by mid-summer, I'll just take OChem II next fall and apply broadly to schools for the DO 2016 matriculation cycle.

What sounds... less painful? Bio 1 and 2 + lab with Orgo lecture OR Bio 1 and Biochem + lab with Orgo lecture? If I'm aiming to take the Jan MCAT (and with the department head's permission) I'm debating which schedule will benefit me the most. Biochem sounds equally (if not more) painful than Bio 2, especially with labs added to the mix so.... thoughts? Advice?

Biology with just Ochem sounds like a more reasonable plan than Ochem, biology, and Biochem all at the same time.

However, I know some people that can handle working full time, taking 18 credits, volunteer, and earn straight As....but I know I can't do that. So you have to figure out your limits and the credit load you can handle to get those As. Remember, every A you earn gets you closer

Last edited:
DO schools, except North Texas, will replace the old grade with the new grade in calculating your gpa. The retake class credit hours must be equal to or greater to the old class.

MD schools average out a retake instead of outright dropping the old grade and replacing it with the new
Thank you- that means I should retake my C in Calc I and C in a Bio class I took. :) Another question: don't they take into account ALL the science and math you took for the sGPA and not just the pre-requistes?

Biology with Ochem sounds like a more reasonable plan than Ochem, biology, and Biochem. But know some people that can handle working full time, taking 18 credits, volunteer, and earn straight As....but I know I can't do that. So you have to figure out your limits and the load you can handle to get those As. Remember, every A you earn gets you closer
I majored in Biology so I took many other science classes and I didn't do very well.

Looking back I should have stayed with my original major, which was a non-science major, and focused just on the prerequisites.

When I was taking my prerequisites I took calculus, general chemistry, physics, and biology at the same time. So I was studying very hard, but obviously not enough.

Last edited:
Thank you- that means I should retake my C in Calc I and C in a Bio class I took. :) Another question: don't they take into account ALL the science and math you took for the sGPA and not just the pre-requistes?

For MD yes.

For DO, no. Math classes do not count towards your science GPA for DO school.

However there are plenty of other science classes that will be apart of your sgpa, eg. Histology, genetics, ecology, immunology, pchem, zoology, physiology, anatomy, etc.

For MD yes.

For DO, no. Math classes do not count towards your science GPA for DO school.

However there are plenty of other science classes that will be apart of your sgpa, eg. Histology, genetics, ecology, immunology, pchem, zoology, physiology, anatomy, etc.
The only math and science classes I have thus far:
2003Bio- D and then C (in 2003 when I was in HS and took at local CC in CA)
2007Precalc and lab @ CC in NC: B
2005college alg and Lab @ CC in NC: B
2013Stats @CC in CA: A
2014 Trig @ CC in CA: B
2014Stats for beh. science @ CC in CA: A
2014CalcI @ CC in CA: C
2014Gen Chem @ CC in CA: B

Not sure if I should retake the Calc I and Bio or continue on and do better in Calc II, OChem, and Mol. Bio (current fall 2014 schedule).

Again- thank you so much. more on my situation, if you have a chance to look: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/current-science-gpa-is-2-6.1088978/#post-15519736

Last edited:
My fall schedule.. thoughts? Am I overwhelming myself?

BIO II -4 units (getting an A in BIO I this summer :D)
Gen Chem - 3 units (tough subject for me)
Gen Chem Lab - 2 units
Trig (lol I know.) - 3 units (decent at math)
Sociology - 3 units (easy but maybe a time consuming?)
Linguistics - 3 units (might be hard)

total of 18 units. thoughts?

btw reasons im taking Socio and Ling. is because I failed them by not going to class back in 2010. Didnt take the final or anything, long story.. so ya. I do really well in humanities and social sciences with not much effort. I received a 4.0 this past fall taking 15 units of Humanities/Social sciences and English and Math.

My fall schedule.. thoughts? Am I overwhelming myself?

BIO II -4 units (getting an A in BIO I this summer :D)
Gen Chem - 3 units (tough subject for me)
Gen Chem Lab - 2 units
Trig (lol I know.) - 3 units (decent at math)
Sociology - 3 units (easy but maybe a time consuming?)
Linguistics - 3 units (might be hard)

total of 18 units. thoughts?

btw reasons im taking Socio and Ling. is because I failed them by not going to class back in 2010. Didnt take the final or anything, long story.. so ya. I do really well in humanities and social sciences with not much effort. I received a 4.0 this past fall taking 15 units of Humanities/Social sciences and English and Math.

Are you working? Volunteering? Mcat stuff? 18 credits is def. a heavy load

Are you working? Volunteering? Mcat stuff? 18 credits is def. a heavy load
No MCAT, Working part time~19 hours a week and I volunteer 4 hours per week.

Was thinking to drop the 2 humanities and take them next summer so I can focus on sciences and math fall and spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
No MCAT, Working part time~19 hours a week and I volunteer 4 hours per week.

Was thinking to drop the 2 humanities and take them next summer so I can focus on sciences and math fall and spring.

That is what I would do also. The humanities are easy but just time consuming with writing papers etc. when that time could go toward studying towards the sciences

That is what I would do also. The humanities are easy but just time consuming with writing papers etc. when that time could go toward studying towards the sciences
Sweet, thanks for the advice. I see all the gunners on the allopathic forum, and they are like e-bragging over how many classes they take lol

cGPA 2.63, sGPA 2.1

In the military and ready to go back to school! All C's and B's in the pre - reqs. So I need to retake 5 classes that I got the C's in. Unfortunately the military won't pay for retakes...so its out of pocket while I try to pay $90k debt!!!!!!

Anything is possible right???? Trying to stay optimistic...

cGPA 2.63, sGPA 2.1

In the military and ready to go back to school! All C's and B's in the pre - reqs. So I need to retake 5 classes that I got the C's in. Unfortunately the military won't pay for retakes...so its out of pocket while I try to pay $90k debt!!!!!!

Anything is possible right???? Trying to stay optimistic...
Hey man! Ya definitely retake those classes!, Anything is possible, I'm doing a lot also so stay optimistic and read through the underdog/low gpa success stories threads for inspiration. Take it one step at a time, don't rush

Hello!

I have applied to both MPH (3 schools) and MS in biomedical sciences (3 schools) programs and got into all MPH programs and 2 schools for MSBS that I applied too. I am currently waiting on my first choice school for MSBS.

My main question is, if I do not get into a my first choice school to complete a MS in biomedical sciences, should I pursue an MPH or are there other options or routes to take in order to help with my GPA situation. I've heard a lot about grade replacement but I don't Know why I am so hesitant.

Took the MCAT once got a 25, plan to take it again. Have 4 years of shadowing, 1 year of research, plenty of leadership positions, and work experience.

I do plan to apply to both MD/DO.

Help and advice will be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Your resume is so similar to mine that's its a bit eerie to say the least. Are you a CCE in socal?
Yes. :)

Hello!

I graduated undergrad with a BS in Biology and a Chemistry minor with a 3.16 GPA. I know I am a little bit above 3.0 but I feel I relate to A LOT of people on this thread.

I have applied to both MPH (3 schools) and MS in biomedical sciences (3 schools) programs and got into all MPH programs and 2 schools for MSBS that I applied too. I am currently waiting on my first choice school for MSBS.

My main question is, if I do not get into a my first choice school to complete a MS in biomedical sciences, should I pursue an MPH or are there other options or routes to take in order to help with my GPA situation. I've heard a lot about grade replacement but I don't Know why I am so hesitant.

Took the MCAT once got a 25, plan to take it again. Have 4 years of shadowing, 1 year of research, plenty of leadership positions, and work experience.

I do plan to apply to both MD/DO.

Help and advice will be much appreciated :)
I think that with 4 years of shadowing, 1 year of research, and plenty of leadership experience your first choice would be wrong not to accept you. You will likely get into the MS Biology program. By the same token, with your GPA and experience, you could easily get into a SMP or Post-Bacc with a linkage agreement with a Medical School, rock it, and start Medical School within the next 1 or 2 years without spending 3 or more years pursuing a MS in Biology.

Edit:This was a dumb question and I'm deleting it.

Last edited:
I am currently pursuing a masters in medicinal chemistry. It is too late for me to apply for any other programs. I plan in applying to medical schools again for the summer of 2015.

I don't know what will happen, but should I take a post bac masters program or SMP?

Hey Guys! I've been a lurker of the post-bacc's thread for a while, since last year, this is my first post in the forums overall:)..and finding this specific thread definitely gives me some hope. My stat's aren't as good as all of yours, believe me, y'all look good compared to me...a lot of things happened to me in the course of my undergraduate career and life that affected my gpa...

Starting with the death of my mom right as I was starting my undergraduate studies...I was there when she died.. to being dismissed by the university ( due to depression, my GPA went down the drain my freshman year), having to withdraw from same said university because they wouldn't offer me aid ( appealed, won the appeal, eventually did graduate to get my bachelors), overcoming poverty after graduating college (my dad was out of work for a few months due to surgery, neither one of us was working because I couldn't work to be his primary caretake and still go to school..community college.. we had to make ends met with his disability paycheck and I had to sign up for foods tamps) AND...yes, there's more and's...I was recently diagnosed with a learning disability. My story is quite long, this was the most simplest and compact way I could put it.

Now these are my stats,my cumulative GPA including the community college coursework I have completed comes up to a 2.54. My science GPA I am hesitant to calculate, but I would average it at a ~2.0 (mostly C's and D's...again, freshman year was an awful year for me). I retook my Chem at at community college, got a B and C, took Calc at a community college and finally got a C ( after failing it 4 times). My recent diagnosis with a learning disability has cleared up a lot of things for me, and has shed light as to why I was failing so often in addition to my depression...and that's what makes me hopeful, now knowing of this learning disability I can learn how to properly study and ace these classes. The death of my mom is something I have learned to cope with, there's no such thing as getting over a parent's death, its coping and learning to live and move forward with your life after such event.

I have been told countless times that I should pursue another career, I've been told i'm not good enough for medicine, that I'm not strong enough, that my gpa, no matter how much i do will not be good enough...that i'm just not cut out to be a doctor. I've been rejected twice from the same post bacc program and willing to reapply one more time now that I know about my learning disability. I'm writing here to seek advice, what would you guys do? I keep being told to stop beating the bush, look for an alternate career. I know I would definitely be told that by some of the stuck-up-ihavegreatstatsknowitall jerks I have come across with, but I don't want to give up.

If you guys read through all this, you are awesome <3;):highfive:

Hey Guys! I've been a lurker of the post-bacc's thread for a while, since last year, this is my first post in the forums overall:)..and finding this specific thread definitely gives me some hope. My stat's aren't as good as all of yours, believe me, y'all look good compared to me...a lot of things happened to me in the course of my undergraduate career and life that affected my gpa...

Starting with the death of my mom right as I was starting my undergraduate studies...I was there when she died.. to being dismissed by the university ( due to depression, my GPA went down the drain my freshman year), having to withdraw from same said university because they wouldn't offer me aid ( appealed, won the appeal, eventually did graduate to get my bachelors), overcoming poverty after graduating college (my dad was out of work for a few months due to surgery, neither one of us was working because I couldn't work to be his primary caretake and still go to school..community college.. we had to make ends met with his disability paycheck and I had to sign up for foods tamps) AND...yes, there's more and's...I was recently diagnosed with a learning disability. My story is quite long, this was the most simplest and compact way I could put it.

Now these are my stats,my cumulative GPA including the community college coursework I have completed comes up to a 2.54. My science GPA I am hesitant to calculate, but I would average it at a ~2.0 (mostly C's and D's...again, freshman year was an awful year for me). I retook my Chem at at community college, got a B and C, took Calc at a community college and finally got a C ( after failing it 4 times). My recent diagnosis with a learning disability has cleared up a lot of things for me, and has shed light as to why I was failing so often in addition to my depression...and that's what makes me hopeful, now knowing of this learning disability I can learn how to properly study and ace these classes. The death of my mom is something I have learned to cope with, there's no such thing as getting over a parent's death, its coping and learning to live and move forward with your life after such event.

I have been told countless times that I should pursue another career, I've been told i'm not good enough for medicine, that I'm not strong enough, that my gpa, no matter how much i do will not be good enough...that i'm just not cut out to be a doctor. I've been rejected twice from the same post bacc program and willing to reapply one more time now that I know about my learning disability. I'm writing here to seek advice, what would you guys do? I keep being told to stop beating the bush, look for an alternate career. I know I would definitely be told that by some of the stuck-up-ihavegreatstatsknowitall jerks I have come across with, but I don't want to give up.

This is your life. YOUR life - and as far as I know we only get one. Letting anyone else determine what you should do in this life that you were given is absurd.

I think that you have to truly ask yourself why a physician vs. another career. I think you also have to ask yourself if you are willing to put in the many years of retakes, and therefore devote yourself to the needed rigorous studying, that will be required if you go forward. DO allows for grade replacement, where the most recent grade is the only grade factored into your GPA calculation, so as they say around here, retaking all F, D, and C grades will be wonderful for your GPA.

I think you need to ask yourself why will you do better this time around than last time. Something about your studying will have to change. Sitting in the front row, going to office hours, joining studying groups, hours of studying at home, when you are not studying watching Khan Academy on youtube... whatever it is, something beyond just knowing about your learning condition will have to happen. You may have to study 2 times as much as someone else - or ask 2 times as many questions - or... What I mean to say is, if you plan to do this, it will cost you time and money, hours of happiness, hours of life, etc etc. Knowing that, there is really only one way to do this, and that is the right way. Doing things the right way is subjective. You need to find whatever works for you and do whatever it takes to get the very best grade possible. If you are willing to do that, and you have calculated what it will take, how many credit hours it will take (search SDN to get a DO and MD grade calculator excel sheet and mess around with it), the courses that you will need to retake and those you will need to take for the first time, to become a competitive applicant, and you are willing to work hard, work smart, and be devoted, then I don't see why you would let anyone else influence you otherwise. I would suggest being realistic and starting slow.

Others will have a better response as mine is on a mostly qualitative level. Good luck going forward.

Reactions: 2 users

I would try to retake the classes you did not do well and if being a doctor is what you really want never give that up alot of people had low gpa and worked to get them up and I wish you the best

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is AWESOME LOL
I am 30 years old with about 50-60 credits and my gpa is around 1.9 (I think) I havent been in school in almost 5years. I will be returning this fall part-time. For the past 3years, I have been a medcial assistant and I know where I want to be. I know I have a long uphill battle but I have to try and give it all I have.

Reactions: 1 users
This is your life. YOUR life - and as far as I know we only get one. Letting anyone else determine what you should do in this life that you were given is absurd.

I think that you have to truly ask yourself why a physician vs. another career. I think you also have to ask yourself if you are willing to put in the many years of retakes, and therefore devote yourself to the needed rigorous studying, that will be required if you go forward. DO allows for grade replacement, where the most recent grade is the only grade factored into your GPA calculation, so as they say around here, retaking all F, D, and C grades will be wonderful for your GPA.

I think you need to ask yourself why will you do better this time around than last time. Something about your studying will have to change. Sitting in the front row, going to office hours, joining studying groups, hours of studying at home, when you are not studying watching Khan Academy on youtube... whatever it is, something beyond just knowing about your learning condition will have to happen. You may have to study 2 times as much as someone else - or ask 2 times as many questions - or... What I mean to say is, if you plan to do this, it will cost you time and money, hours of happiness, hours of life, etc etc. Knowing that, there is really only one way to do this, and that is the right way. Doing things the right way is subjective. You need to find whatever works for you and do whatever it takes to get the very best grade possible. If you are willing to do that, and you have calculated what it will take, how many credit hours it will take (search SDN to get a DO and MD grade calculator excel sheet and mess around with it), the courses that you will need to retake and those you will need to take for the first time, to become a competitive applicant, and you are willing to work hard, work smart, and be devoted, then I don't see why you would let anyone else influence you otherwise. I would suggest being realistic and starting slow.

Others will have a better response as mine is on a mostly qualitative level. Good luck going forward.

Thank you for your thoughtful response, really, thank you. I'll definitely look into DO and will find the grade calculator you're talking about too.

Okay, since we are adding classes (which I am glad I did look at the thread was nervous about putting my classes up) I bombed last semester I am still trying to recover LOL. I am taking:
General Bio 1 - 4Crd.
Bio Lab-3Crd.
Sociology- 3crd. ( debating if I need this for my DO)
Writing&Research ( English 101) -3Crd.
Pre-Algebra- Developmental

These are officially my pre-med classes. I am so siked!

Here we go:

23 y/o, male, white
2.56 gpa from a state university, business major. Worked 50+ hours a week + started a successful financial consulting firm during that time.

I am taking my first classes this Fall:
Bio I
Pre-Calc I
Bus. Course (last class needed to graduate)

Spring:
Chem I
Bio II
Pre-Calc II

Summer:
Calc I
Retakes
Chem II???

Fall '15:
Phys I
Chem II (If not in summer)
O-Chem I
Retakes

Spring '16
O-Chem II
Phys II
Any additional retakes/GPA boosters

My goal would be to get my GPA up to a 3.03 for M.D. or 3.2 for D.O (with retakes), and apply in Summer, two years from now. I will also be working on my ECs and shadowing/clinical exp. If I do not get in during Summer, I will shoot for an SMP and matriculate Summer '17

Best of luck to all of the sub-3.0's!

Edit: I also want to state that in 2017, two new medical schools are planned to open within 20-minutes of each other.

Last edited:
@swollcat

Fall next year will be a pain in the ass, but I plan on using the next year to study and prepare for it. My study habits are pretty good. I've never failed an exam in college.. I just lost a lot of points for not showing up to class because of work (10-15% of my grade for all of my classes), and not turning in assignments.

I see the hardest semester will be Fall '16 where I plan on taking Chem II, O-Chem and Phys I. If I can knock one of those courses out in summer, and take two science courses + underwater basket weaving 101, I think I will be able to successfully knock it out.

Yes. :)

I think that with 4 years of shadowing, 1 year of research, and plenty of leadership experience your first choice would be wrong not to accept you. You will likely get into the MS Biology program. By the same token, with your GPA and experience, you could easily get into a SMP or Post-Bacc with a linkage agreement with a Medical School, rock it, and start Medical School within the next 1 or 2 years without spending 3 or more years pursuing a MS in Biology.

Thank you! Still haven't heard back but most likely going with my second choice. Since I won't start till the spring semester, I've been looking into some linkage programs and found a bunch that start in the spring so I will be applying to some of those and see how that goes. *Fingers Crossed*

Last edited:
Thank you! Still haven't heard back but most likely going with my second choice. Since I won't start in the spring I've been looking into some linkage programs and found a bunch that start in the spring so I will be applying to some of those and see how that goes. *Fingers Crossed*
All the best!!! You can do it!

Thank you! I hope to update everyone with good news :) There's no chance I am giving up till I've done ALL that I can!
Please don't it is hard trust. I am finally happy with doing the best I can. This semester I am aiming for all A's and B's I havent been in school since high school and that was 14yrs ago. So yea.. I had my tumbles but I am not going to let me down! I'm routing for you!! ;):D:p:)

Please don't it is hard trust. I am finally happy with doing the best I can. This semester I am aiming for all A's and B's I havent been in school since high school and that was 14yrs ago. So yea.. I had my tumbles but I am not going to let me down! I'm routing for you!! ;):D:p:)

You can definitely do it as well! Never give up :clap: Best of luck to you!

Major: Political Science
cGPA: 2.8
sGPA: not sure if my science classes would actually count because my first choice was to transfer to a 4 years college to get my BSN, however, the wait list was too long and I went with my second choice as my current major.

Science Courses I have completed:
-Anatomy-B
-Physiology-B
-Gen Bio I-B
-Statistic-C
-Microbiology-B
-Advance cellular biology-A
As a result, I'm two quarters away from getting my Bachelor in Political Science, but I strongly feel in my heart that I belong in the medicine field.

In regard to my low GPA its due to me working full time and taking full time (16 Unites) per semester/quarter in my previous 3 years of undergraduate since I'm married with a newborn I can't afford to do part time. Anyways that's life story, now I'm interested in going to osteopathic med school to become an internist but not very sure if I should choose to go through the Post-bac program or just go to CC and take my gen bio II, gen Chem I/II, Organic chem I/II, Physic I/II. Please advise, thank you!

Major: Political Science
cGPA: 2.8
sGPA: not sure if my science classes would actually count because my first choice was to transfer to a 4 years college to get my BSN, however, the wait list was too long and I went with my second choice as my current major.

Science Courses I have completed:
-Anatomy-B
-Physiology-B
-Gen Bio I-B
-Statistic-C
-Microbiology-B
-Advance cellular biology-A
As a result, I'm two quarters away from getting my Bachelor in Political Science, but I strongly feel in my heart that I belong in the medicine field.

In regard to my low GPA its due to me working full time and taking full time (16 Unites) per semester/quarter in my previous 3 years of undergraduate since I'm married with a newborn I can't afford to do part time. Anyways that's life story, now I'm interested in going to osteopathic med school to become an internist but not very sure if I should choose to go through the Post-bac program or just go to CC and take my gen bio II, gen Chem I/II, Organic chem I/II, Physic I/II. Please advise, thank you!

Community college and don't ever think about it again. After you've knocked out ALL of your prereqs and saved a ton of money, then you can consider taking some advanced/upper division hard sciences to show that you can handle med school. Take these classes at a CC and you should be good to go: GCHEM series, GPHYSICS, series, OCHEM series, Bio 2, Genetics. And no more B's...get pumped, it can be done!

Community college and don't ever think about it again. After you've knocked out ALL of your prereqs and saved a ton of money, then you can consider taking some advanced/upper division hard sciences to show that you can handle med school. Take these classes at a CC and you should be good to go: GCHEM series, GPHYSICS, series, OCHEM series, Bio 2, Genetics. And no more B's...get pumped, it can be done!

Thank you for the advice. I will attempt to finish the pre-reqs ASAP. In regard to the upper division science courses, how many course should I attempt in order to be more competitive for med school? My main goal is DO school since I'm more interested in their way of practice.

Man I really love this thread. It's been super useful in helping to keep me motivated. When I graduated college, I had a 2.5 GPA. Took time off and worked for a while. Then decided to try the school thing again and start taking my science prereqs. I initially started off strongly and earned an A- and B in my intro to biology course. Thought I could really handle the whole full time student/ full time employee thing and committed myself to taking a slew of hard sciences all while working an incredibly demanding job investigating child abuse allegations and serving as the primary caretaker for two very ill family members. Suffice it to say, that was one of the dumbest ideas I have had in a real long time. While I didn't fail any of my science classes, I only managed to scrape by with a C+ in each and every class. You would have thought I would have learned my lesson in making not so smart choices but I committed another fatal error, I took the MCAT and BOMBED the exam. When I say I BOMBED I'm not meaning by SDN standards where a 30 MCAT is grounds for having a nervous breakdown, I'm talking about big time fail. I'm too embarrassed to even post the score it was that horrible. My MCAT experience was a nightmare of the first order. I showed up for the test sick, with a fever and raging headache. When I began the exam, my mind literally went blank. I was looking at problems and knew that I knew how to solve them but for the life of me could not even remember the standard formulas or even how to begin. What was most frustrating was that I had completed similar problems weeks ahead with no issues. It was the worst case of test anxiety that I have ever had in my life and my score reflected that.

I was convinced that the dream was dead because I couldn't hack it. So I gave up on school and focused on work. Focusing on work gave me the opportunity to enjoy my experience of not being a student. But by 2012 I was getting that restless feeling. I was doing meaningful work, but it wasn't really what I wanted to do and after getting lots of reassurances from my friends and family, I signed back up for my first set of classes. I took a combined anatomy/physiology course as well as microbiology. Managed to get an A- in both. After getting those scores, I began to believe that maybe I wasn't an idiot after all so I enrolled at another university and started on my road to recovery. Since September 2013, I have managed to retake the majority of my prerequisite classes while also taking some higher level science courses. My science grades as of now are:

Biology I: A-
Biology II: B
Genetics: A
Physics I: A
Physics II: A-
Chemistry I & II: A-
Microbiology: A-
A&P I: A-
Nutrition: A
Cellular Biology: either a B or B+ will find out soon
Orgo I & II: C+ (these are the only science classes that I have not retaken. Both courses are 5 credit hours so even taking them at another school won't help to replace them as my school and many others only offer a 4 credit hour version of the class. As such, I won't be retaking either of them).

I've been admitted into an MS program and will be taking molecular biology and pathophysiology as well as putting in a healthy amount of time studying for the MCAT. I'm aiming to put in my applications to DO programs summer 2015. I'm all in this time and want to show the adcoms that I'm a completely different person and can handle medical school. Wish me luck and good luck to all of my fellow nontraditional underdogs.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I will attempt to finish the pre-reqs ASAP. In regard to the upper division science courses, how many course should I attempt in order to be more competitive for med school? My main goal is DO school since I'm more interested in their way of practice.

Don't worry about that yet, especially with so much on your plate. Stay focused on the task at hand and get those A's, you can do it....

But to satiate your palate, the number of classes is really going to depend on your app as a whole. If you end up doing really well in your prereqs, as in mostly A's in the classes I listed, a couple advanced classes should do it. And of course, doing just okay is going to require more to convince colleges you wont flunk out if they decide to take a chance on you.

Some of my personal med school favorites in order of subjective usefulness: biochemistry, immunology, molecular biology, virology, bacteriology, and biology of cancer

Man I really love this thread. It's been super useful in helping to keep me motivated. When I graduated college, I had a 2.5 GPA. Took time off and worked for a while. Then decided to try the school thing again and start taking my science prereqs. I initially started off strongly and earned an A- and B in my intro to biology course. Thought I could really handle the whole full time student/ full time employee thing and committed myself to taking a slew of hard sciences all while working an incredibly demanding job investigating child abuse allegations and serving as the primary caretaker for two very ill family members. Suffice it to say, that was one of the dumbest ideas I have had in a real long time. While I didn't fail any of my science classes, I only managed to scrape by with a C+ in each and every class. You would have thought I would have learned my lesson in making not so smart choices but I committed another fatal error, I took the MCAT and BOMBED the exam. When I say I BOMBED I'm not meaning by SDN standards where a 30 MCAT is grounds for having a nervous breakdown, I'm talking about big time fail. I'm too embarrassed to even post the score it was that horrible. My MCAT experience was a nightmare of the first order. I showed up for the test sick, with a fever and raging headache. When I began the exam, my mind literally went blank. The blankness engulfed me and wiped away everything that I had ever studied or practiced. I was looking at problems and knew that I knew how to solve them but for the life of me could not even remember the standard formulas or even how to begin. What was most frustrating was that I had completed similar problems weeks ahead with no issues. It was the worst case of test anxiety that I have ever had in my life and my score reflected that. I was convinced that the dream was dead because I couldn't hack it. So I gave up on school and focused on work. Focusing on work gave me the opportunity to enjoy my experience of not being a student. But by 2012 I was getting that restless feeling. I was doing meaningful work, but it wasn't really what I wanted to do and after getting lots of reassurances from my friends and family, I signed back up for my first set of classes. I took a combined anatomy/physiology course as well as microbiology. Managed to get an A- in both. After getting those scores, I began to believe that maybe I wasn't an idiot after all so I enrolled at another university and started on my road to recovery. Since September 2013, I have managed to retake the majority of my prerequisite classes while also taking some higher level science courses. My science grades as of now are:
Orgo I & II: C+ (these are the only science classes that I have not managed to retake. Unfortunately, both courses are 5 credit hours so even taking them at another school won't help to replace them as my school and many others only offer a 4 credit hour version of the class. As such, I won't be retaking either of them). I've been admitted into an MS program and will be taking molecular biology and pathophysiology as well as putting in a healthy amount of time studying for the MCAT. I'm aiming to put in my applications to DO programs summer 2015. I'm all in this time and want to show the adcoms that I'm a completely different person and can handle medical school. Wish me luck and good luck to all of my fellow nontraditional underdogs.
Wow!!! This is so inspirational and I am lost for words! Just keep doing it.

How did you study for the MCAT? And did you apply early in the cycle?

Studied by having more well rounded knowledge before taking the MCAT (took immediately after graduating biochem and molecular bio double major).. and I used examcrackers to guide my studying while filling in the gaps with Najeeb videos and review books if needed. Only studied 3 weeks due to schedule constraints and scored 36q.

Man I really love this thread. It's been super useful in helping to keep me motivated. When I graduated college, I had a 2.5 GPA. Took time off and worked for a while. Then decided to try the school thing again and start taking my science prereqs. I initially started off strongly and earned an A- and B in my intro to biology course. Thought I could really handle the whole full time student/ full time employee thing and committed myself to taking a slew of hard sciences all while working an incredibly demanding job investigating child abuse allegations and serving as the primary caretaker for two very ill family members. Suffice it to say, that was one of the dumbest ideas I have had in a real long time. While I didn't fail any of my science classes, I only managed to scrape by with a C+ in each and every class. You would have thought I would have learned my lesson in making not so smart choices but I committed another fatal error, I took the MCAT and BOMBED the exam. When I say I BOMBED I'm not meaning by SDN standards where a 30 MCAT is grounds for having a nervous breakdown, I'm talking about big time fail. I'm too embarrassed to even post the score it was that horrible. My MCAT experience was a nightmare of the first order. I showed up for the test sick, with a fever and raging headache. When I began the exam, my mind literally went blank. I was looking at problems and knew that I knew how to solve them but for the life of me could not even remember the standard formulas or even how to begin. What was most frustrating was that I had completed similar problems weeks ahead with no issues. It was the worst case of test anxiety that I have ever had in my life and my score reflected that.

I was convinced that the dream was dead because I couldn't hack it. So I gave up on school and focused on work. Focusing on work gave me the opportunity to enjoy my experience of not being a student. But by 2012 I was getting that restless feeling. I was doing meaningful work, but it wasn't really what I wanted to do and after getting lots of reassurances from my friends and family, I signed back up for my first set of classes. I took a combined anatomy/physiology course as well as microbiology. Managed to get an A- in both. After getting those scores, I began to believe that maybe I wasn't an idiot after all so I enrolled at another university and started on my road to recovery. Since September 2013, I have managed to retake the majority of my prerequisite classes while also taking some higher level science courses. My science grades as of now are:

Orgo I & II: C+ (these are the only science classes that I have not retaken. Both courses are 5 credit hours so even taking them at another school won't help to replace them as my school and many others only offer a 4 credit hour version of the class. As such, I won't be retaking either of them).

I've been admitted into an MS program and will be taking molecular biology and pathophysiology as well as putting in a healthy amount of time studying for the MCAT. I'm aiming to put in my applications to DO programs summer 2015. I'm all in this time and want to show the adcoms that I'm a completely different person and can handle medical school. Wish me luck and good luck to all of my fellow nontraditional underdogs.

Very inspirational story! I have a question though how do you manage to do full time and taking these science courses at the same time? I'm trying to finish up my prereqs as well, but the science course are normally offered in the middle of the days at my local colleges. I was thinking of trying to find a different full time job that will offer hours from 3am-12pm so I can have the day time to go to school. Please let in on your strategy, thank you!

Very inspirational story! I have a question though how do you manage to do full time and taking these science courses at the same time? I'm trying to finish up my prereqs as well, but the science course are normally offered in the middle of the days at my local colleges. I was thinking of trying to find a different full time job that will offer hours from 3am-12pm so I can have the day time to go to school. Please let in on your strategy, thank you!

I wish that I could tell you that I somehow managed to make working full time and going to school full time work but that was NOT my reality. For me, doing that was detrimental to my GPA and I wound up getting a C+ in practically all of my pre-req courses save for 2. When I initially went back to school, I was taking evening classes. All of my classes started at 5:30 pm and lasted until 8 or 9 p.m. depending on whether or not I had to do labs. Working full time and going to school full time was just too stressful and not feasible. So I switched jobs and worked part time (really clocking in 30 hrs instead of the 40+ hours I was previously working). That also proved disastrous because I wasn't allotting enough time towards learning and retaining the information. I was more so cramming and doing enough just to pass. So I left the whole job thing behind and devoted myself to only focusing on school. Fortunately for me, I live at home and my mom was supportive. If leaving your job isn't an option and you're alright with doing self directed learning, then may I suggest looking into the online option. Of course if you opt for that route contact any of the schools that you may be looking at applying to and ask if they have any qualms about someone completing their pre-reqs via online courses. I know that some MD schools may have issues with that but I have yet to hear anything about DO schools objecting to online coursework. There are lots of reputable schools out there. The program that I am most familiar with is the SUNY online system. You can access the site and choose which SUNY school you'd like to pursue your course of study through. They offer online science courses; bio 1&2, chem 1&2, organic 1&2, physics 1&2 and a host of other upper level science classes.

From reading these boards, I know that some people may have questions concerning doing labs, I know for a fact that with regard to the biology, inorganic and physics classes, labs are offered and you perform them at home. They use the LabPaq and eScience laboratory at home kits and also offer virtual labs. You complete the labs in conjunction with taking the classes. You don't have to be a New York State resident and another bonus is that the classes aren't listed as being online. They just appear as normal classes on your transcript. Please don't be fooled into thinking that online courses will be easy. They aren't and you spend just as much time as a regular student that is in house. Once again, the online option should only be utilized if you are able to be a self-directed learner or know that you can manage your time wisely. I used the online route to take my anatomy & physiology and microbiology courses. I learned a great deal and the interactions with my professors was meaningful and engaging. They got back to me quickly whenever I had issues with assignments or had questions concerning the readings. To debunk any preconceived notions, there really isn't a way to cheat while doing online courses. The professors, are savvy to any attempts at cheating and when they make up the tests, they do so where even if you have the textbook in front of you, you won't be able to just look up the answers. If the online option isn't something that you see yourself doing, then you can try taking these courses at your local community college. I took my first set of pre-reqs through my local community college because they offered a very accessible course schedule. They offered classes in the evenings and weekends since they knew that a lot of the student body were working professionals so they catered to that. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest that yes, try and find another job with a more flexible work schedule.

But also take into consideration that you need to eat, sleep and have some time off so as not to burn out. You don't want to be working from 3 am - 12 pm to then have to run to class and also do labs and then somehow find a way to squeeze in time to also complete assignments and study. If I didn't have the option of quitting my job and I was reluctant to take online classes, then if I still had to work full time, I would have chosen to take classes at the the part time level. Meaning I would work a normal full time schedule and then opt to take 1 or 2 science pre-reqs so as to make it more manageable. I'd do this year round, taking 1 or 2 pre-reqs during fall, spring, and summer sessions. This is really doable for those that are looking to only focus on taking the basic science requirements and not looking to take any additional upper level classes. You could theoretically have your basic science pre-reqs completed in two semesters and one summer if you stuck with just taking 2 science classes each semester and took the remaining classes in the summer. I hope this was helpful. I know it doesn't directly answer the whole how to balance working full time while being a full time student but I hope that it gives you some idea as to options that are out there.

Last edited:
Wow!!! This is so inspirational and I am lost for words! Just keep doing it.
Thanks, I posted because I got a lot of motivation from reading other people's journey's. It was a little over 2 years ago that I thought that maybe I wasn't cut out for this whole medical school thing. It was only because I logged onto SDN and read the inspiring stories of others did I actually start to believe in my own potential. I really want others to know that it is possible. I'm not a genius and would say I'm an average B student so you don't have to be a MENSA member to do what I did. You just have to be willing to put in the work. I'm hoping to post in the underdog thread once I get admitted into medical school. Right now, my focus is on acing my masters classes and studying hard to crush the MCAT.

Help please,

I had a low uGPA in a challenging science degree (2.94), MCAT 33 in 2012, did an SMP finished with 3.8+, lots of EC, good research (one publication, more to come hopefully), great LORs.

I submitted all my apps early and have not heard anything yet, no rejections, no II... what does this mean?

Help please,

I had a low uGPA in a challenging science degree (2.94), MCAT 33 in 2012, did an SMP finished with 3.8+, lots of EC, good research (one publication, more to come hopefully), great LORs.

I submitted all my apps early and have not heard anything yet, no rejections, no II... what does this mean?

What is your overall cgpa and sgpa? When were you verified and what schools did you apply to?