Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forums here at SDN but I think I finally found my thread!
For some background info, I am turning 30 this year and considering applying to medical school. I am currently single with no dependents. I have a bachelor's degree in sociology and graduated with a 2.94 GPA. (I was really sick for one semester and neglected to withdraw from my classes.) I had originally started out as premed but scoring a 60 on my first chemistry exam really discouraged me and I subsequently dropped both general chemistry and physics. However, I kept the general biology courses and ended up doing fairly well in them and received an A- both terms. Thankfully, I think those are the only science classes I've taken. As for math courses, I received a D in Intro to Statistics, C+ in Discrete Math, and a B+ in Statistics for Social Science majors. Needless to say, the prospect of taking calculus terrifies me. Right now, I am working as a case manager at residential treatment facility for mentally ill youth.
If you're wondering why I want to apply to medical school now since I've been out of school for eight years, it's because I suffered from major depression for three years post-graduation and I've tried to make other paths fit. For a while, I've been running from the daunting pre-med curriculum and I tried fooling myself into thinking I wanted to be a lawyer or clinical social worker. The truth of the matter is that I want to be neither. From my earliest days, I've wanted to be pediatrician or child psychiatrist. I guess I'm coming back for it now.
Sadly, I don't know too much about being a non-traditional medical school applicant but I do know I want to get into an allopathic school.
How should I start this long process off?
Should I be doing a structured post-bacc program or would I be okay with doing an unstructured program and just taking the pre-reqs at a community college?