Below 30 MCAT Score and Acceptance???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMcCoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there is a thread about anyone that has received an interview with a 27-30 mcat score. I was wondering how many people have received an acceptance this year with a sub 30 mcat.

This thread should be hope for those with less than stellar numbers.

I was lucky enough to receive an acceptance from Texas Tech, a state school, with a 26 MCAT.

I am a nontrad with some unique experiences but there is definitely hope everyone!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

my experience:
mcat 27- rejected
mcat 36 -accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an MCAT score in the upper 20's and have been accepted to an MD school

There's a thread where they have people post on this.

Darn... didn't want to duplicate a thread just wanted to see how many people out there with stats like mine were successful

But yours is acceptance, so you're good.:)

Why do people do these threads? With all of the information statistics being provided by the AAMC (by school, state, ethnicity, etc), I don't understand why we keep having these posts.

Some medical schools have an average MCAT (accepted) of <30. What does this tell you? A lot of people get accepted with a score <30. Will you get into WashU with a 29? No, but you can still get into ~50% of the schools in the country with that score.

MCG has an average of a ~31 on the MCAT. Emory is a ~33. Mercer is a ~29. Morehouse is ~27.

Why do people do these threads? With all of the information statistics being provided by the AAMC (by school, state, ethnicity, etc), I don't understand why we keep having these posts.

jeez man chill out. we're just trying to give some hope and encouragement to the few percentage of SDN applicants on here who don't have a 35+

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand your point of view. Statistics only tell someone so much. This is supposed to be a little more about actual experiences to keep some applicants from being discouraged by statistics. Especially those with 29-33 MCAT scores that think they don't have a chance due to some feedback they receive from others

I got in with a 27 and applied EDP.

But, I am unique....:p

or at least that is what my mommy tells me.....:laugh:

jdub is not a fair comparsion. he has 4 degrees. that hacker :thumbdown:

Some medical schools have an average MCAT (accepted) of <30. What does this tell you? A lot of people get accepted with a score <30. Will you get into WashU with a 29? No, but you can still get into ~50% of the schools in the country with that score.

MCG has an average of a ~31 on the MCAT. Emory is a ~33. Mercer is a ~29. Morehouse is ~27.

i wonder if anyone got into washu with 29..

dot

Simple statistics tells you that there are tons of people who get into an MD school with <30. The median is what 31?

Not quite...I only have two at the moment and will add number three in May and start number four in Aug.....:D

Some collect coins...I collect degrees.....:laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh: priceless

dot

Simple statistics tells you that there are tons of people who get into an MD school with <30. The median is what 31?

Agreed. But post in what are my chances that you got a 29 and the consensus will be that you must retake. Anything shy of a 31 is considered inadequate. So threads like these help to offset some fo that negativity.

Accepted this cycle with a 29o and a 3.54 cGPA.

Agreed. But post in what are my chances that you got a 29 and the consensus will be that you must retake. Anything shy of a 31 is considered inadequate. So threads like these help to offset some fo that negativity.

And who are theses WAMC experts? Other pre-meds? Med-students?

Accepted this cycle 3.5 and 29

Why are people so hateful when they see threads that they don't like? Why do you even look at them, much less comment on them? I do not think anybody is forcing you to do so. . .why don't you just skip the thread and move on to one that you like??

Why are people so hateful when they see threads that they don't like? Why do you even look at them, much less comment on them? I do not think anybody is forcing you to do so. . .why don't you just skip the thread and move on to one that you like??

Couldn't agree more :thumbup:

I've often wondered the same thing. It would make sense to just roll your eyes and move on, but to go out of your way to demean, belittle, or disqualify another person--a perfect stranger at that--makes me wonder what kind of doctors some of these people are going to end up becoming.

It might. The MCAT score range for WashU for 2009 starting class was 29-43.

I have an MCAT score in the upper 20's and have been accepted to an MD school

Is there anything you're willing to elaborate on? What would you say got you the acceptance? Gpa? EC's? Interview? Lor? Did you build a hospital in a 3rd world country?

Is there anything you're willing to elaborate on? What would you say got you the acceptance? Gpa? EC's? Interview? Lor? Did you build a hospital in a 3rd world country?

Whoa there. What's with the hostility I'm sensing??

Congrats trep!!!

How are you sensing hostility? He got accepted with an mcat in the 20's and I simply asked what he feels got him that acceptance. There must have been something that really stood out that would compensate for a below average mcat and I'm very curious as to what it was.

Accepted to an MD program (state school.)

MCAT: PS 9, VR 11, BS 9, WS M
sGPA: 3.61
cGpa: 3.59

Research, volunteering, shadowing, international medical mission trip

Check out my MDapps - accepted to two allo schools with 30O. I also had MCAT scores of 23 and 25 on my record, so there is hope. For the record, got 2 interviews and a waitlist with the 25.

Not quite...I only have two at the moment and will add number three in May and start number four in Aug.....:D

Some collect coins...I collect degrees.....:laugh:

LMAO !! That is hillarious!!!:D:laugh::laugh:

Actually you are WRONG. One of my friends got into WashU last year with a 27. His cGPA and sGPA? 3.3/3.7 And Nope, He is not URM or Disadvantaged. So chill, don't be such a hater.. I am sure there have been more people getting into top med schools with MCAT less than a 30.

Actually you are WRONG. One of my friends got into WashU last year with a 27. His cGPA and sGPA? 3.3/3.7 And Nope, He is not URM or Disadvantaged. So chill, don't be such a hater.. I am sure there have been more people getting into top med schools with MCAT less than a 30.

See... here's the problem when talking about schools and stats. You really can't include state schools (because people from some states, cough California cough, get screwed, royally), Puerto Rican schools (hey, they are LCME schools), or the schools who care more about the level of melanin in your skin and where some distant relative came from. Not all of us win the lotto for geographic location and melanin levels.

Of course, there's always the dark side (DO). We have better cookies and massages.