Below the class average...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Edit: didn't realize SDN now changes a-hole to dingus rather than just ***'ing it out. Interesting.

Seems unfair to our grammar.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I honored one class during preclinical and got 250+ on Step 1.

You're a boss, how long did you study for step 1? Just curious.

The people on SDN are human just like the people you interact with in real life, you're just hiding behind a very thin layer of anonymity here so you think you can say whatever you want, no matter how insulting or offensive to others. I am sure this personality of yours comes out in person and you're not as good at hiding it as you might think. Maybe you'll get more positive reactions from people in life and on SDN if you have a better attitude and actually learn WHY some of the stuff you say is offensive.

To be fair, I don't believe he's purposefully trying to be offensive. He just doesn't realize that it is. It's difficult for some people.

I mean, I don't think I'm being offensive at all (except for the part about "bishes," which I've only revealed to one friend at my school IRL). Tactless and blunt, perhaps, but that is exactly why I observe more tact in real life.

I'm just telling you guys about life as I see it.

I guess I'm not sure why you think I'm being offensive (except for the part about "bishes").

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I don't think I'm being offensive at all (except for the part about "bishes," which I've only revealed to one friend at my school IRL). Tactless and blunt, perhaps, but that is exactly why I observe more tact in real life.

I'm just telling you guys about life as I see it.

I guess I'm not sure why you think I'm being offensive (except for the part about "bishes").
See luckily that's the the thing - it doesn't matter if YOU think it's offensive. It matters what those you are talking to think. I believe Ismet is referring to beyond just using the word "bishes".

Reactions: 1 users
Mimelim and psai, did you guys study before the dedicated too or what?

I also did a modified Taus. Started the first pass in February or so of second year. Had 5 weeks of dedicated study time for the exam.

honored everything but neuro and anatomy and got a 269.

I also had a ****show of a dedicated study prep time.

that said, doing well in class doesn't mean much for the boards, just like doing well on the boards doesn't mean much for class. They are correlated, mostly because intelligent people will tend to be high scorers no matter what, but similarly, intelligent people may know where to devote their resources and energy.

Last edited:
Why not do firecracker?

Waste of time for me. I don't like flash cards and the concept of how much time it requires is a big neg for me because my school requires a lot of time from us on non high yield stuff

Waste of time for me. I don't like flash cards and the concept of how much time it requires is a big neg for me because my school requires a lot of time from us on non high yield stuff
Gotcha. I found it useful for studying what we were going over in class. The rating system controls what questions you will see. Lunch breaks, downtime are good times to go over things. But anyway, do your thang.

If you're a fan of flash cards, have you ever checked out Anki? Or something similar?

Yeah, I actually bought Anki a few days into class and tried to start using it...but its not that intuitive and it doesn't want me to study the way I want to. I just don't have the time right now to figure out how to make it work in the way I need it to. Anyways, I'm gonna try a more straightforward flashcard app - and try to make less total cards and focus on the high yield stuff

@Ismet I read your post in another thread about StudyBlue, and I may give that a try. I think we had a similar experience with Anki

I have no problem with being as smart or not quite as smart as a whole bunch of other really intelligent people...but I figure why not try to do the best I can in my class and maybe get AOA.

Today I got my score back for the first major exam and I scored a couple points below the class average. I did ok and passed, and the class average was pretty high I thought. I didn't necessarily expect to be at the top for this one, given my studying was pretty inefficient for the first week or so of class, but still - being below average kinda sucks. I'm sure the right answer is to just study harder and better for the next exam and do better, but just wondering if anyone else had the experience of being towards the back of the pack early on and improving. My questions are -

1. Did you older students find it hard to score consistently where you wanted to during the first 2 years (relative to the rest of your class)?

2. My school has a post bacc that takes a fair amount of students (not sure how many). Those students have already had the exact same classes we're taking last year, so I feel like they're pulling up the averages. Maybe thats just an excuse though. Does anyone else have that at their school? I guess come second year, we'll all be on the same level, but still.

My first class of med school (anatomy), I almost failed the final and finished below class average. My second class (biochem), I finished about at class average. Was I disappointed? Absolutely. But I adjusted my study habits, figured out what worked best for me, and went on to honor every class for the rest of preclinical years and scored >250 on Step 1. Not trying to brag at all, just trying to say it's still early and you have plenty of time to figure out how to study. Medical school is a major adjustment for anyone. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
My roommate last year started in the bottom quarter (failed the first 3 tests) and by the end of the first year, he was in the top 10% of the class. I followed a similar trajectory, if not as extreme. Don't worry about where you start out, worry about constantly improving. It's still your first month.

Although I'm gonna be totally upfront - I totally tie my self worth to my grades. When I score high, it's because I'm a superior quality human being, blazing a trail of supremacy through the ranks of those lesser students lucky enough to witness my ascension to immortality. When I don't, I'm a replaceable failure doomed to disappoint anyone who ever loved me.

Today I got my score back for the first major exam and I scored a couple points below the class average. I did ok and passed, and the class average was pretty high I thought. I didn't necessarily expect to be at the top for this one, given my studying was pretty inefficient for the first week or so of class, but still - being below average kinda sucks. I'm sure the right answer is to just study harder and better for the next exam and do better, but just wondering if anyone else had the experience of being towards the back of the pack early on and improving. My questions are -

1. Did you older students find it hard to score consistently where you wanted to during the first 2 years (relative to the rest of your class)?

2. My school has a post bacc that takes a fair amount of students (not sure how many). Those students have already had the exact same classes we're taking last year, so I feel like they're pulling up the averages. Maybe thats just an excuse though. Does anyone else have that at their school? I guess come second year, we'll all be on the same level, but still.

Edit: Didn't realize OP's post was 3 years old. Read below if interested:

OP, these are the same excuses I made except I blamed it on the post-bacc and non-trads because those were easy scapegoats in my head. Good for you for having the awareness to admit that. As for averages, try your best but if your sitting at a certain point, there's usually a point where you can't go much higher. For me, it was the 75th percentile. I tried very hard, but it just never happened. With the material I worked super hard on, I'd score near there and when I was worn out or stuff didn't click, I was below average and used to beat myself up about it. Setting unrealistic goals for yourself is counterproductive. Be satisfied where you are. I know that doesn't sound like a winner's advice and AOA helps, but try to keep your focus on staying in the top 50th%.

Last edited: