Ben-Gurion University Medical School for International Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like the last post was in June, so maybe you guys are all packing for Israel at this point!? For anyone left: How competitive is the international MD program for BG? I'm really interested, but not sure if I've got much of a chance.. Want to pursue a career with the underserved including international health - specifically work with VVF ladies (vesico-vaginal fistula). Lived in Nigeria when I was little for a year, and for three months volunteering in a hospital at age 20...that's about all I've got for international experience. GPA and MCAT are on the average, but the applicant bios on their website look pretty impressive (experiences etc)! Class size looks small - secondary application is big! Any advice?

I'm a first year here at MSIH, so I've really only been here for 3 or 4 weeks. However, my experience with the whole application process was that I pretty much knew this is where I wanted to go as soon as I heard about the school. If you're interested in international health, this is a good school to be at. If you're comfortable living this far away from everything you've ever known, this is a good experience. If these things sound like something you're ready for, I'd say go for it. You're probably more ready than you think:)

I really can't tell you how competitive your application is as MSIH looks less for people with top scores and more for people who really want to be here. They don't want people who come to this school as a last resort, and they don't want people who want to try something different. They want to know you'll be able to handle the stress of a foreign country, medical school, and Hebrew. They value life experience as well as grades/MCATs.

From what you've written, you're definitely interested, so I'd say go ahead and apply. Applying this early is good, too, so you can make an informed decision. I applied late (because I didn't know about the school until late) and it was a hassle. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if you've got them.

If this is where you want to be, I hope to see you here next fall:)

Members don't see this ad.

From one redhead to another - thanks for that encouragement!!
The more I think about BGU, the more excited I get about the prospect of going... I really hope I can get in. The life experience/training I'd receive and people I'd meet would just be phenomenal. My application is in!

Hi everyone,

I have a couple questions about BGU:

1. Does anyone know when they start interviewing?

2. Does anyone know when they send out the first acceptances?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I have a couple questions about BGU:

1. Does anyone know when they start interviewing?

2. Does anyone know when they send out the first acceptances?

Thanks so much in advance!!

It is pretty much rolling admissions. I am sure they have started already for next year. They can send out acceptances as late as next May.

J, 4th year

Thanks for the info Jones!

Does anyone know when their first acceptances go out?? October? November?

Any input is much appreciated!!

I interviewed beginning of august last year and was accepted oct. 12th.

Thanks for the info Jones!

Does anyone know when their first acceptances go out?? October? November?

Any input is much appreciated!!

RedLemond,

If you are still looking for answers to your questions... I will give you my personal opinion. MSIH admissions have varying levels of required qualifications. If you are truely interested in International Health, you can prove that, and your grades seem like you won't fail out of medical school then I think you have a high chance of being accepted. As your interest in international health falls then the grades should increase, if you follow me.

As far as class size I am a graduate of one of the last small classes. We had twenty something. The current classes run near 50. I loved my small class and would never trade it for a larger one. However currently classes are about 50 persons strong which I think is a good number. This class size is not due to a lack in applications but a cap set by administration.

If you have any more questions or want more detailed answers just send it along.

RedLemond,

If you are still looking for answers to your questions... I will give you my personal opinion. MSIH admissions have varying levels of required qualifications. If you are truely interested in International Health, you can prove that, and your grades seem like you won't fail out of medical school then I think you have a high chance of being accepted. As your interest in international health falls then the grades should increase, if you follow me.

As far as class size I am a graduate of one of the last small classes. We had twenty something. The current classes run near 50. I loved my small class and would never trade it for a larger one. However currently classes are about 50 persons strong which I think is a good number. This class size is not due to a lack in applications but a cap set by administration.

If you have any more questions or want more detailed answers just send it along.

WondrinWanderer - thanks for the feedback! I do have a few more questions for you (or any other BGU students), if you have time (and I'll probably have more later) ! Now that you're a graduate of BGU, what are you up to? Is there a typical career path graduates take after? What kinds of things are current graduates doing? How did you like your professors? What is the dynamic of the student body? How did you find living in Beer Sheeva?
Thank you so much!

Here's another question - I was looking into applying for the US public health service scholarship to help pay for medical school - but one of their requirements is that you attend a fully accredited US medical school. I'm assuming BGU, even though it's affiliated with Columbia, doesn't fit under that category. How does not graduating from an accreditted US med school affect BGU graduates' chances for residencies? BGU claims that their students receive some top-notch residencies - but is that just because primary care is on the down-swing in the US and more and more foreign nationals are filling those spots? How will the lack of a US MD degree (and specifically an Israeli MD degree) affect the career of a BGU graduate? Would I be a more respected physician in the world scene with a US MD degree? Does not having a US MD degree close unanticipated doors of opportunity? (unanticipated because I don't exactly know what those might be until I'm in the right position).

Hi,

I am a fourth year at BGU who is getting interviews at top hospitals across the country. Yes it is easier if you go primary care which I am. Primary care is the focus of our school. I am not lgoing to lie, you are considered an FMG and it will be difficult to match in some very competitive residencies and it will close some doors. But you can also over come these boundaries by killing your boards, doing well third year, doing research, and doing fourth year electives at schools you want to be at. I have one friend who is applying for anesthesia and getting interviews at some good places. But he also has a ton of publications in the field. If you want EM then you need to kill Step1 and Step 2.

I would actually make the argument that our school looks great on paper and can sound great to program directors. Plus we are increasingly becoming more and more compeitive. The classes are bigger and people dont just want family/primary care anymore. We have people in my class gunning for derm, path, anesthesia, and EM. I have confidence they will match. Also the class below me is huge and very competivie. A number of them want to do EM.

Take a look in this forum, you'll see similar posts.

Good luck,
J

Does anyone know how many people were admitted to the class of 2012?? I heard it was a very small class.

Thanks!

Thank you Jones! It's encouraging to hear that Ben Gurion students are capable of landing specialty residencies as well. I know for sure I want to be involved in international health and I recognize how important it is to have the skills of a primary care doc as well as all the public health/community health and everything Ben Gurion offers in its coursework. However, I'm not completely sure I want to do primary care and I want to keep my options open.

Here's another question, for anyone. Why is it that Ben Gurion was interested in educating U.S. and Canadian medical students in the first place when we have so many of our own medical schools? Why wouldn't they want to open the entire class up to Israeli students or those from countries who don't have so many or such prestigious medical schools?

For that matter, why are there several Israeli schools courting US pre-med students? I got an email notification even from an India school advertising their program. Why would they do that when their own country needs so many docs?
Is there any disparity in tuition costs for US/Canadian medical students studying in Israel vs. Israeli medical students studying in Israel?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 30-40 in the first year class. Its an average size for our school. As far as them doing school in Israel, I dont have the exact answer other than the location works very well for the mission for the school. You are close the Bedouin which make for a very interesting patient population. I feel the Beersheva is one of the only cities that the school would work in, in Israel. You will see what I mean once you see the variety of patients at the hospital. It is also extremely accesible to the Bedouin villages and the refugee populations in Tel Aviv.

You can do med school here, but IMO you will NEVER get even a similar experience than you will in Israel. Look it is a chance to take and you can stay comfortable and go to an American school. But I can tell you that I have had an adventure like no other and had so many good experiences that have changed my outlook on global medicine, I will be a better physician for it. In fact, I am applying in my certain specialty for this very reason. I dont know if I would have picked primary care if I had gone to school in the US. Let me know if you have any more questions.

J

Thanks J, really appreciate all your input. I guess, I just think Ben Gurion is too good to be true, so I keep playing the skeptic to find a "con" - but am failing so far:)! I have an interview coming up so I want to have an emotion about it that matches my desire to go!
Do you know anything about the interviewers? Are they involved with Ben Gurion or random Columbia faculty?

Hey,

Ill be honest, the program has tons of pluses, but there are downsides to it, like every medical program has. The main thing is that you have a very flexible personality because things in Israel dont always run like they do in America. To give you some more confidence, I am now on my 4th rotation in the US and doing more than fine. We are prepared very well even though every single student worries about how they will do when they come back to the US. I even find that we know more than the 3rd year residents at times because our teaching is so good and we have ample study time thrid year to actually learn medicine.

As far as the interviewers, they are all Columbia faculty. Dont be worried about it, just make sure you talk at nauseum (word??) about your interest in intl. health. The classes are becoming more and more competitive each year and you want to have every chance.

J

Hey guys,

I just interviewed at BGU. Does anyone know when the committe meets next?

Congrats on having the interview. I hope you hear back soon

Does anyone have any information about admissions committee meetings or when decisions are mailed out??? I am dying here waiting

The admissions committee gives answers on a rolling basis. Every time they have a meeting they discuss the applicants up until that point and then make decisions on them and then send out the answers. At least that is how it used to work. As to when the admissions comittee meets I think it is on a need be basis.

Our class has 33 people, just to clarify. I heard it's smaller because MSIH has tightened their admissions standards a little. Don't be afraid, though. We didn't have super stellar grades/scores. Our class average for MCAT was 30, so we're running at about the national average there. Mostly they seem to look for previous international experience (even within the US): translating, living abroad, volunteering in international/refugee communitites, etc. Really stress these in your interview. That was practically all my interviewers and I talked about.

Also, if you want to know when the committee will meet to decide your application, call Alice. She can tell you when the committee meets next. I think she told me it's once a month. The wait is a hard one, but hang in there. It'll all work out for you:) As soon as the committee decides, the decisions will be mailed out. I got mine maybe 2 weeks after the meeting, but it had to be rerouted and forwarded and everything because I had moved since my interview, so you will probably get yours sooner.

Congrats on getting the interview, though. That says a lot already. I wish you the best and hope to see you here next year:)

Redheadedpoet,

I seriously appreciate your kind words. Thank you so much, and I look forward to meeting you too next year hopefully!!

Hey Eric,

This might be of some help: I was originally trying to schedule my interview for this past friday, the 17th, but Alice told me it wouldn't work because they (?) are having a meeting this Friday. That could very well be an admissions committee meeting, although I didn't ask so I'm not 100% sure...but, what other kind of meeting would they have? Anyway, good luck to you!

Hi guys,

So, I just interviewed on Monday, and I'm pretty stoked about going to Ben Gurion now! It would be just an incredible adventure to go there and really jump-start my career in international health. I was looking through the profiles for this year's entering class - and you guys are all really awesome and I want to go to school with you!!! :love: *gush*
And I just found out one of my best friends was accepted to grad school in Italy for next year...so - we'd potentially be on the same side of the globe anyway. Just...good feelings. I mean, I'm worried my next few interviews will be really boring in comparison! I'm signed, sealed and delivered already. ;) (in my heart anyway, AC doesn't meet again until december - hopefully they won't forget me by then).

OK, but one thing I asked during the interview that I felt wasn't answered adequately. A lot of countries having major health problems are Muslim countries - are Israeli med school graduates going to have problems getting into these places b/c of where the degree comes from?
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

So, I just interviewed on Monday, and I'm pretty stoked about going to Ben Gurion now! It would be just an incredible adventure to go there and really jump-start my career in international health. I was looking through the profiles for this year's entering class - and you guys are all really awesome and I want to go to school with you!!! :love: *gush*

Congratulations on your interview! I'm glad it went well. If you're still this excited now, chances are you'll really enjoy your time here if that's what you decide. And thanks for stroking our egos a bit:)

And I just found out one of my best friends was accepted to grad school in Italy for next year...so - we'd potentially be on the same side of the globe anyway. Just...good feelings. I mean, I'm worried my next few interviews will be really boring in comparison! I'm signed, sealed and delivered already. ;) (in my heart anyway, AC doesn't meet again until december - hopefully they won't forget me by then).

Oh yeah, Italy is just a short plane ride away, and we have plenty of opportunities to travel, especially over the 1st and 2nd years. Plus, you can easily go to Greece, Turkey, Egypt, and Jordan without working that hard. Just jump a plane and go for the weekend or a short holiday.

OK, but one thing I asked during the interview that I felt wasn't answered adequately. A lot of countries having major health problems are Muslim countries - are Israeli med school graduates going to have problems getting into these places b/c of where the degree comes from?
Any thoughts?

As someone who isn't specifically an Israeli citizen, you shouldn't have any problem getting into Muslim countries to practice. They might ask you a few questions, but even that is doubtful. The countries which really need help are not going to blacklist you for once having spent some time in Israel. Even just traveling to Muslim countries from Israel is doable. Ultimately, where you got your degree won't really matter. It won't be your biggest concern anyway, and definitely not for dedicating your service to another nation, though your citizenship might play a role:)

Glad to hear things are going well. Be sure to let us know if we'll be seeing you next year:)

Here's another thing I'm struggling with - I'm thinking about Paul Farmer and his work in Haiti. He was so successful in raising money for his overseas projects, I think in part, because of the credibility that comes with an MD from Harvard. I'm being the devil's advocate here - but wouldn't it be better to have an MD from a US school so I can have at least that credibility with people and other physicians in the US who have the resources to make these overseas projects possible? Isn't it better to get involved in a US school and get my classmates (who will be well-off doctors someday) motivated for international health rather than escaping to Isael and doing my own thing? For sure I'd get better training for international health at Ben Gurion, but what underserved areas of the world REALLY need are LOTS of people from affluent countries to become concerned and involved with their well-being. Would a US MD have a better shot at making that happen?

Hey there. I don't know if students are still reading on this thread...but got an acceptance from BGU last week - which is very, very exciting! However, I also got a pretty early acceptance from OHSU back in November (which is a great school and 7 miles from my house). So it's a risky adventure vs. safe convenience for four years - just like I KNEW it would be!!! Dang it!!!!!!!!!! I don't even know why I'm typing on here right now except for the hope that I might have a bit of relief if I hash out my stress online. Any last minute advice?? Words of inspiration?
Thanks thanks!!

Hey RedLemond,

Congrats on both acceptances! That's a difficult decision. First thing to ask is..are you trying to get into a major competitive specialty? That will be easier to achieve by staying in the US.

Can you adapt well to new surroundings? Israel is going to be a huge change. However, this experience is perfect for those wanting to get involved in international health.

I have a couple of friends that turned down acceptances in the US and Canada to go to BGU. One big reason was that they were quite adventurous people absolutely committed to international health who couldn't stand the thought of staying in North America for their entire medical school.

I would write down all the pros/cons of each school. Include your family's advice as well. Then go with your gut feeling. I would also PM some current students or message them on facebook. You'll get some excellent feedback of what studying at BGU is like. From my contact with BGU students, I've heard nothing but positive things about BGU. This is rare! I've contacted students at other medical schools and they often have nothing good to say about their school! I did hear from one girl who also regretted turning down her state school because she found it hard to adapt at BGU. You'll be the best judge of your personality and goals in medicine.

Good luck with the decision process :)

hey redlemond, i also got accepted to my state school and BGU and i'm trying to make my decision now so i totally understand your boat. comfort and cheap or exciting/what i want to study/ and expensive. it's a scary place to be. i keep jumping back and forth. and it doesn't help that there are rockets... let me know how your decision making process is going!

Congratulations!

after i was accepted, i politely turned down other offers. I was confirmed at my interview that this program would be perfect for me.

I'm having so much fun with learning the basic hebrew. This language is so different..but i really like how it sounds though haha.

Anyways.. hopefully,, i get to see you this fall ! :D

-Minsoo Kim

Hey Minsoox1983,

Which resources are you using for Hebrew learning? Which ones do you find are useful?

Drex

I'm going to interview there soon... so excited! How long do they take to make a decision after the interview?

Hey Minsoox1983,

Which resources are you using for Hebrew learning? Which ones do you find are useful?

Drex

I'm currently listening to "Pimsleur Hebrew". It's audio lesson. I like it.

I'm going to interview there soon... so excited! How long do they take to make a decision after the interview?

Good luck on your interview! You will love it!

Mine took about 3 weeks.

I am a fourth year from the Univeristy who has decided to postpone my last semester of school to pursue a Junior Researh Fellowship here at Tufts Medical Center in Boston!

If anyone has questions about the program, and would like to meet (if in the Boston area) or talk (I can give you my number), in regards to the program in Israel,

please feel free to let me know!

Congrats to the new class, and best of luck to all the new applicants!

Izzy

Hi everyone,

Quick question: are BGU grads able to practice in all 50 states?

We are certified to practice in all 50 states with our diploma granted that you pass step 1 and step 2 CK and CS

I just got the letter in the mail!!! I'm in!!!
See you this summer in Israel!!!
Wooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh:

I just got the letter in the mail!!! I'm in!!!
See you this summer in Israel!!!
Wooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh:

congrats! I am still waiting to hear back...was it a package or a regular sized envelope?
Thanks

I just got my letter today too! I am so excited. They sent it to school and I was on spring break I was starting to panic. Who is planning to participate in the conference call Monday? Im pretty sure I want to MSIH (now to convince the family...), but I also got into ETSU. Anyone want to comment on how they made their decision to come to BGU (or not)?? Thanks. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

Congrats on your acceptances WorldTraveler! :)

I am in a similar position as you trying to find out which school suits me best. I looked at ETSU and with it's focus on rural healthcare and primary care, it would be very difficult to turn down given the additional practicality of going to a school in your home state.

BGU is also a great school, but if you have not had the chance to shadow several physicians or are unsure about the specialty you want to pursue, I'd recommend ETSU. You can always do electives in other countries and learn about medicine in other parts of the world.

The majority of students I've talked with at BGU have had clinical experience and know they want to enter primary care. They also want to devote a large amount of their profession to work in developing countries.

It's a tough decision and highly individual, but I'd probably lean toward ETSU because of practicality, focus on rural healthcare, small class size, and more options on the table when it comes down to the match. But definitely, send in your deposit to both schools until you are 100% sure!

Docta. Roo :)

But definitely, send in your deposit to both schools until you are 100% sure!

Docta. Roo :)

If I send in my deposit to both places(not ETSU in my case), when exactly do I need to decide where I am going? Thanks...

Heres my advice:

You will be a doctor either way. But if you go to BGU, you will have an experince that will never be equalled. I feel as thoguh you will be a better physican as a result of it.

The world is in a very unique state right now. Politically and in regards to global health. I just feel that the growth you will have professionally and personally fromt he experience will be soemthing you will never be able to get anywhere else.

Hi, I have been on these boards for a while, and I can answer any questions you may have about BGU, I dont Know what ETSU even stands for but either way I couldnt make a comparison having never gone there....

To answer your question, you just have to ask yourself, what kind of a person you are, and whether or not you want a run of the mill medical eduation, or if you want that plus a curriculum that is challenging and more globally encompassing!

It basically comes down to that....

You also have to decide how hard of a worker you are and how much time and effort you are going to want to put in matching into a career of your choice, while the possibilities remain endless as a BGU student, matching things like Anasthesiology are going to be far more difficult than Internal Medicine, but we had a student do just that this year, and at Yale no less, of course, he busted his behind, had dozens of publications, networked, spent a few extra years doing research and had amazing scores and grades, so either way it can be done

You just need to know who you are,

Besides that there are no limits as to personality fits for the school, I feel that it can accomodate and actually needs all types because diversity is the mother of creativity, and that is something our program nurtures and creates!

Medicine isnt just pills and injections any more, its a whole new language, and on top of that you will be learning another new language, hebrew. The city of Be'er Sheva is not easy living, things are difficult, our schools policies and procedures are sometimes frustrating, but if you can handle all of that, then you will find the positives far outweighing the negatives,

hope that helps

Izzy

I'm not sure when you have to decide where you are going to attend... if you put a deposit down for more than one school.

But, I've talked with many BGU students and most knew BGU was their number one choice all the way.

I think you should only choose BGU if you are 90% sure you want to attend.

The practicalities of going to a state school are not always apparent to us pre-meds. :)

I don't think your decision will become clearer whether you leave it for 4 weeks or 8 weeks to ponder. I think you should give yourself 4 weeks or so, and then make a decision.

After talking to some BGU students, they have changed their minds regarding the specialties they are gunning for. For competitive specialties, you'll have a huge advantage going to a state school!!!

But keep in mind, this is very individual. For many BGU students, there simply is no better school.

Dr.Roo :)