Ben Gurion University Of The Negev

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntlMed

Almost Hritik !!!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give any insight into this program?? The web site states 3.5 and above being the average GPA.. Is this realistic ??? I mean.. can someone give me some insight into the admissions process at this school?

Members don't see this ad.

IntlMed said:
Can anyone give any insight into this program?? The web site states 3.5 and above being the average GPA.. Is this realistic ??? I mean.. can someone give me some insight into the admissions process at this school?

I'm not sure what you mean about the 3.5 - do you think it is high or low? I know that in 2004, they had a paper-based application separate from the MCAT, their rep at a grad fair told me they generally looked for an MCAT over 28, and back then you could still apply in the spring for for fall admission (in other words, long past the AMCAS deadlines.) She was very nice, they have a US office, I think in NY. However - I thought that this program was somehow different, more like a US accredited program then offshore or international med schools, because of how they constantly stress their connection with Columbia. However, although there are some clerkships with Columbia, from what I have heard, that is it, and in the end you still have a non-US accredited degree. That said, what interested me about the program was the focus for students who want to work for international organizations, and also their students seem to have clerkships all over the world.

I think if you do a search for their program you can probably come up with the office contact info, and they will send you an application and lots of info.

Best wishes.

While I definitely think you should make your own decision regarding BGU, here is some advice since I have been there (I studied abroad last fall).

While BeerSheva, Israel is an up and coming community, it is not the most pleasant place to live. Everyone is extremely friendly, but it is in the middle of nowhere. The hospital has a pretty good reputation as far as hospitals in Israel, but it is much different than the US. I had a really hard time adjusting to life in the desert for six months, and I can't imagine having to live in that area for 4 years.

There are similar programs to BGU (though I dont think they have the international medicine emphasis) that are in Tel Aviv, and if you want to be in israel, I would definitely recommend that over BGU.

If you want specifics about the area, the school, the people who attend it and some of the med students I interacted with, feel free to email me or IM me.
Hope that was helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
IntlMed said:

I applied to the New York State/Israeli American program at Sackler this year and was accepted. Sackler is the school in Tel Aviv. If you have any questions regarding the application process, you can msg me. As far as Israeli schools are concerned, Sackler and BGU are the two best from what I've heard. Sackler is affiliated with the State University of New York and BGU is with Columbia.