Bench exam ! part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yasi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what does that mean?

It means that it is possible to repeat the assignment :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

hi

I wonder if u cud let me know how useful the DVD was for u .How much did it help and if i want it how can i get it .Is that the only prof help u took or did u take any courses also .
Give us some wise tips for feb

shaellac

will you take cal board in UOP on march?

no,i won't be able to.. do u know the dates for the remaining cal board exams for the year? also lets leave this thread for bench questions...we can discuss cal board in the cal board thread..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi.

I promise the dvds to someone already.
They were really helpfull in other to refresh what I had learned in class. I did took UCLA prep classes for both bench and california dental. The approach are diferent between Duggan and Dr. Stevenson, but at the end I just mixed both and had my own way, with all the rules that Dr. Stevenson gave me.
I used the dvds everyday, twice a day for a month.
The big advice for this exam keep cutting teeth, be confident, calm down, start with the prep that you are very comfortable with and leave the hard one to be done last. If you get nervous, stop, take a break (I took a few, there is plenty of time), drink some water, eat something, breath and then come back refreshed. Again keep cutting teeth, 2,5, 6, 10 a day never never stop. Have a plan. Take mock boards and if possible do your owns at home just to arrange your schedule. BE CALM.
My boss taught me something that worked for him while taking the bench. I did and it does help. Draw a happy face and write something nice for yourself, take a picture of something or someone that you really love. Place them where you can see all the time. If you feel nervous or hopeless, just look at them. Ready your phrase or word. It really helped me to see my son there, smiling at me all the time. I did it for him, for our future.
If anybody need help with something, let me know. I will try my best.
Good luck you all

Hi.

Hi, Thanks for your good suggestion. Do you have any idear about which mock borad(ucla, Uop,duggan and maybe some others that I do not know) we should go before the Feb 23-25 UOP's RT Exam?

All the best to you!

hello, was it only Dr. Thaw's course u took or did u take any other course?

hi
Dr thaw ?? How many of you were there in his class .What r his timings I talked to him he said i should come 2 weeks in advance .He did not give me a time for the course .I felt it is not that organized or i might be wrong cud u please give me your tel no so i cud talk to u regarding dr thaw . cause i do want to take a course .How does every one practice ion california for the exam .Does every one carry their compressors with them ?? Pls this is my first time do let me know
shellac

Hi all.

I took UCLA course in Febuary for April exam lasr year. I really liked. It was very well taught and for those willing to stay longer, they will let use the lab until 11pm everyday during your course. Practcing really is the key. Make all your mistakes and learn how so solve problems before your exam. Dr. Stevenson will teach you some tricks.
I don't know Dr. Thaw, so I do not have an opinion about him.
Dr. Duggan for me is an allright teacher, but excelent person ( but that's my impression).

Have fun !!! It is a hard exam, but enjoy it all the way.

It means that it is possible to repeat the assignment :laugh:

It is very possible but don't count on that. It would be a good idea to be prepared in any eventuality but we should practice more on the previous assignments.
Picture this...a horror scenario... If examinees know beforehand what the assignments are, someone might do the preps at home, then take them to the exam and switch typodonts when no one is looking... but we know that the examiners take all necessary precautions to make this impossible.
But what if, someone might get creative and "cap" the preps to make them look like regular typodont teeth? He would spend his exam time removing the temporaries.... Naaah.

Haha. This exam is making me crazy.

Adi

" You are never alone or helpless, the force that guides the stars, guides you too." Sri Sri Anandamurti

Members don't see this ad :)
i had a question. is it better to put retentive grooves in cl 2 amalgam prep with hand instruments or a low speed handpiece ? does anyone know a place where i can rent a low speed hdpc out for a few weeks. or, is anyone selling a low speed handpiece ? i also want to buy an interdental guard if anyone is selling it coz both of these are out of stock at UCLA store

thank you and god bless

Hello Fellowship of the RTE, wishing all of you who are ready to take the exam this febrary the best. I have a cuestion does anyone got the confirmation card for the exam.

Hello Fellowship of the RTE, wishing all of you who are ready to take the exam this febrary the best. I have a cuestion does anyone got the confirmation card for the exam.

Not yet, but my check was cashed. So i guess the confirmations are expected any time now.
By the way, can we all revise the measurements together since different courses teach different measurements?!

Thanks!

did anyone speak to dr.duggan or dr. stevenson or anyone else about what are the expected preps this time ?

what is everyone preparing for ? amalgam fillings and 3/4th crowns ?

good luck to everyone

can we use black pearl bien air (two hole) handpiece with adaptor(two to four hole) at UOP?
good luck to all.

can we use black pearl bien air (two hole) handpiece with adaptor(two to four hole) at UOP?
good luck to all.

The handpiece thing is very confusing. Can the people who have been to uop before give us a better idea? How come we have to use a star high speed handpiece and a midwest or star slow speed handpiece? And how come they are telling this now, just 2 weeks from the exam?!:mad:

hello everyone. i just wanted to tell you that at uop you can use any 4 hole handpiece for either the slow speed or high speed. There is another attachment/hose for high speed other than the star or midwest.

hello everyone. i just wanted to tell you that at uop you can use any 4 hole handpiece for either the slow speed or high speed. There is another attachment/hose for high speed other than the star or midwest.

So how many hoses are there?
can I attach my high speed (which is not star) and at the same time have my slow speed attached?

Thanks!

Hi, I have my exam on the 25th (Sunday) and have booked accomodation at a decent hotel very close to UOP. If any female is interested in sharing the room for the 23rd & 24th please pm me for details.
Good luck to all.

So how many hoses are there?
can I attach my high speed (which is not star) and at the same time have my slow speed attached?

Thanks!

hi,
at uop they have two attachments one is for high speed and one low speed.. but thhe only handpiece that goes into their high speed attachment is the star.. so if u don't have star not to worry,u can use any.. i used my bein air... but then i had to put the bein air in the slow speed attachment slot,so when i wanted to use the slow speed i had to change...so if u don't have star,then u have only one attachment for both slow and high speed.. the other advantage with star is the fiber optic light..but if anyone has not used star and plans to borrow it for exam.. i suggest to practise with it first.. coz its a very powerful handpiece.. its a real good one... and its more lighter but it takes time to adjust...

Thanks for the information sonia, what about the measurmentes would be great if all of us are in the same page about it.

Practice FGC on #3 and 30, PFM on # 6, 8, 9; premolar class II MO amalgam and class III composite prep and fill on #6 at least once. You'd never know...

please post mesurement for clIII composite
is it ok incisicervical:inciso cervical from middle of the contact to almost where there is 0.5 mm clearance
mesio distal: 1.2-1.5 mm

i'm a little confused. are we going to get the same preps as mentioned on the website ? is it mentioned somewhere

the measurements that they have given for the PFM, it says axial reduction 1.5mm ...does that mean the shoulder is 1.5mm ??

Some of the measurements suggested in he handbook look very strange. For e.g.:
1. Axial Reduction in Class-2 Amalgam: board recommends 1.5mm; most tutors & textbooks recommend a max of 1.3 mm for Molars & 1.1 mm for Premolars.
2. Occlusal reduction in Posterior cast: board recommends 2 mm overall; generally it varies from 1.1 to 1.4 mm on functional & non-functional cusps.

I did 1.4 mm for C-II amalgam on tooth # 3 in last exam and got a moderate over-extension. I'm confused about these measurements but think I'll follow them anyways... at least we can appeal with these measurements.

Is it just me, or others are also finding some of these measurements strange.

good luck.

If any female would like to share accomodation for the 23rd & 24th please PM me for details. I have booked accomodation at a decent hotel very close to UOP. good luck.

are te assignments on the guigelines just examples or they r same as what we will be given next week

Some of the measurements suggested in he handbook look very strange. For e.g.:
1. Axial Reduction in Class-2 Amalgam: board recommends 1.5mm; most tutors & textbooks recommend a max of 1.3 mm for Molars & 1.1 mm for Premolars.
2. Occlusal reduction in Posterior cast: board recommends 2 mm overall; generally it varies from 1.1 to 1.4 mm on functional & non-functional cusps.

I did 1.4 mm for C-II amalgam on tooth # 3 in last exam and got a moderate over-extension. I'm confused about these measurements but think I'll follow them anyways... at least we can appeal with these measurements.

Is it just me, or others are also finding some of these measurements strange.

good luck.

And also they say that occlusal clearance for a PFM is 2mm and in the full gold , they still say it's 2mm?!
I hope they didn't release these measurements just to confuse us more.

the #9 is PFM or full porcelain?
for full gold 2mm for both non-functional and functional cusps seems confusing....

yes, the specs in the handbook do add more confusion. I have forwarded these queries to Dr. Duggan.

It would be great if more of us can check with Dr. Duggan, Dr. Stevenson or Dr. Thaw as to what they recommend now that we have these specs from board.

If anyone is taking mock-boards this weekend, they can also check and let us know.

It is really confiusing cus in last exam I did 2mm on the FGC in number 19 and I got over reduce grade 65
On the amalgam I did 1.1 on the axial reduction and got a decent 80
Besides a FGC with a clearence of 2mm will look to short and it will have no retention at all

I can't downloding the handbook
Some one could post what are the asigments for the next weekend

according to handbook for occlusal preparation if we want to slope the shoulder with 45* how it would be 90* to external surface?

Practice FGC on #3 and 30, PFM on # 6, 8, 9; premolar class II MO amalgam and class III composite prep and fill on #6 at least once. You'd never know...

how did you know these before board releas them ...
do you know the the width of composit for #8 and #6?
also did you begin to chamfer from shoulder just in contact,in middle of contact
and with what* you slope your shoulder?
thank you if any one answer me:D