Benefit or Disadvantage to apply MD/MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPoopyPants

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think you're more likely to get an invite if you are applying MD/MPH because it shows you care about public health and the community, or does it hinder your odds of getting an invite because there are less spots available?

Also, while I know this is school dependent, are scholarships / grants typically more available to those applying for MD/MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

Benefits: You come out of it with a PhD.

Disadvantage: You have to go through the process of getting a PhD.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I think the MPH is only a masters, unlike MD/PhD. But aside from the obvious lol, none of the possible benefits / disadvantages I asked about are true?

From what I've read MD/MPH is a waste of a year. You're better off reading scientific literature on public health than wasting a year of physician earnings on a degree that won't help you land exclusive jobs.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
From what I've read MD/MPH is a waste of a year. You're better off reading scientific literature on public health than wasting a year of physician earnings on a degree that won't help you land exclusive jobs.
Agree

Some schools offer both degrees in four years. Does that change your position?

Reactions: 3 users

If I ever wanted to be involved in hospital administration (potentially) or clinical research, would it be helpful at all to have an MPH (at schools that provide the 4 year option)?

I'm not interested in whether it'll help me after medical school. I'm curious as to whether a school will be more likely to give you an II if you show interest in their MD/MPH program.

I'm not interested in whether it'll help me after medical school. I'm curious as to whether a school will be more likely to give you an II if you show interest in their MD/MPH program.
Some will, such as OHSU adding “interest in our graduate programs” constituting one of their special populations. Beyond that, I am unsure.

If I ever wanted to be involved in hospital administration (potentially) or clinical research, would it be helpful at all to have an MPH (at schools that provide the 4 year option)?
It does provide you with an additional credential and an additional skill set that can be useful.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah it does actually :). As long as the MPH program isn't cutting through important curriculum that sounds pretty neat.

Links to info on all the schools offering this option. You can click through to see if it if 4 years or 5.

Reactions: 1 user

As someone in an MD/MPH program, I can't recommend applying to one if you're not committed to the public health aspect. Regardless of whether it helps with II/scholarship, you run the risk (at least at my school) of getting accepted to only the MD/MPH program, and not the regular track. If that were to happen to you, are you willing to take on the extra work required to get the extra degree? For those of us interested in public health, it's worth it, but if you're only doing it for the acceptance you'll probably end up very unhappy.

There are schools where indicating interest in the MPH program on your application does not constitute a binding application to the MPH part of the program (with the real application happening once you start school). However, at those schools I would imagine it is unlikely that indicating interest in the MPH will boost your app much.

Any chance you could expand on the extra work? Aren't the curriculum combined so that "project A" applies to both at the same time?

Any chance you could expand on the extra work? Aren't the curriculum combined so that "project A" applies to both at the same time?

Not at my school, and I can't imagine it works that way at other schools. You don't just magically get an extra degree without doing additional public health coursework, but you also don't get to skip any of the usual work on the medical side.

My program is a 4 year combined program (which I think actually inspired this thread, based on your previous posts). In addition to the medical coursework, we have to take several MPH specific courses - 3 in the summer before M1, 1 during M1 spring, 1 each during M2 fall/spring, and 3(?) during the summer after M2. During the summer after M1, we have to complete a 150 hour field experience project. We are required to complete a Capstone project. We also have various lectures/assignments that are technically integrated into our medical curriculum, but are only for MD/MPH students. All of this is "extra" work, on top of what the students in the MD only track are doing.

At schools that offer 5 year programs, you usually take a year off at some point to complete the bulk of your MPH coursework, but you may still have additional courses or assignments while completing your MD curriculum.