Can you apply to MD and MD/PhD programs in the same cycle? Is there any disadvantage to doing so?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1161543

Applying next cycle, interested mainly in MD only but also want to apply to like 2-3 MD/PhD programs since I like research a lot and will have 5000+ hours of it.

Question is though, can you apply to both MD and MD/PhD programs in one cycle?

Also, for schools that have both MD and MD/PhD programs, can I apply to both simultaneously? Is there any disadvantage to doing that if that is a possibility (aside from writing a couple more essays)?

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of people apply to both programs. Including me this coming cycle lol.

For the second part of your question, this is specific to each school. You will need to review each school's protocol regarding applying for both simultaneously

Reactions: 1 user
Plenty of people apply to both programs. Including me this coming cycle lol.

For the second part of your question, this is specific to each school. You will need to review each school's protocol regarding applying for both simultaneously
Thanks, so there wouldn't be any disadvantage to doing so right?

My premed advisor told me that sometimes applicants who are rejected from MD/PhD programs are deferred to the MD pool, would that be a school-specific policy and would getting deferred decrease my chances for MD consideration since they would be reviewing my application later?

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with being passed over by the MD/PhD committee and referred to the MD-only adcom is that this happens late in the cycle at which point there aren't many interview slots left for MD-only applicants. Plus, you've already telegraphed your interest in MD/PhD so you are likely to decline an MD-only offer if you have a MSTP (or MD/PhD) offer from a comparable school. That may make you less attractive as an MD-only applicant (we'll make you an offer but you won't matriculate which decreases our yield which some schools monitor as an indicator of their competitiveness).

Reactions: 3 users
The problem with being passed over by the MD/PhD committee and referred to the MD-only adcom is that this happens late in the cycle at which point there aren't many interview slots left for MD-only applicants. Plus, you've already telegraphed your interest in MD/PhD so you are likely to decline an MD-only offer if you have a MSTP (or MD/PhD) offer from a comparable school. That may make you less attractive as an MD-only applicant (we'll make you an offer but you won't matriculate which decreases our yield which some schools monitor as an indicator of their competitiveness).
Hmm, thank you for this.

I think I'll probably just stick with applying MD/PhD to a couple programs where I don't really have a chance anyways and lean heavily on research experience!

Thanks, so there wouldn't be any disadvantage to doing so right?

My premed advisor told me that sometimes applicants who are rejected from MD/PhD programs are deferred to the MD pool, would that be a school-specific policy and would getting deferred decrease my chances for MD consideration since they would be reviewing my application later?
I also encourage you to participate in our Research Scientists forum where many MSTP students and PD's hang out. :)

I say this because there is usually overlap between the MSTP/MD-PhD admissions team and the MD admissions committee. Those who have to manage filling the class have a good idea of handling applicants who don't get an MSTP slot but could still be strong candidates for MD.

Remember that MD/PhD interviews are usually scheduled separately from the regular MD applicants. With everything being virtual (I'm not entirely sure), but many will still go through the traditional MD virtual interview schedule but have to add on a couple of other sessions to meet with the MSTP interviewers. You may not be at a disadvantage as much as you think.

Reactions: 1 users