Berkeley Guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelbug104

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum... I was wondering if anyone out there has a Berkeley Guide for NBEO Part I for sale... I didn't think I would need it (been studying class notes), but I checked out my friend's and it seems to be really helpful.

Very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

angelbug104 said:
Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum... I was wondering if anyone out there has a Berkeley Guide for NBEO Part I for sale... I didn't think I would need it (been studying class notes), but I checked out my friend's and it seems to be really helpful.

Very much appreciated!

i know my friend spoke to his pharm prof about the berkeley guide, and his prof said that the Berkeley Guide for NBEO is FILLED with errors... all over the place! ALL OVER!

I'm not sure about that... but if you know, post a reply

I hear that it has some errors, but is put together really nicely. It follows the NBEO website's outline to what is on the board exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are a few errors.. mostly in the pharm section so i didn't use it for that. But, it does follow the NBEO outline exactly which to me was easier to follow than trying to dig that out of class notes.

I studied only berkeley guide and schwartz.... and did very well on part one.

I've only been studying from Berkeley and find it great! I didn't come across any errors, but I haven't been through all the sections yet.
:)

cpw said:
there are a few errors.. mostly in the pharm section so i didn't use it for that. But, it does follow the NBEO outline exactly which to me was easier to follow than trying to dig that out of class notes.

I studied only berkeley guide and schwartz.... and did very well on part one.

why not post the errors so that people know whats wrong with the guide (in the pharm section if it's only that)

ummmm cuz i took boards a year ago... I no longer have my berkeley guide.. ....(sold it)

and it's a test for you to pick out the errors on our own. ;) yeah... that's it :)

i know a guy in optometry who did very well just using his own notes

so drbizzaro,
who by the way i see your name all over these forums, anyway, you think that one can just study from their notes and pass the boards? interesting. i'll have to take very good notes and keep them well once i start opt school.
Hello everyone it is very interesting to read everyone's comments. I just had a question of my own. There are some people who believe that optometry is a second choice to medical school. I personally purposefully chose this track as a first option but I would just like to get other future optometrists take on this idea.
thanks

I know only one girl in my class who even applied to med school. There was a second one at orientation, but she got in off a wait list and left. They're the only two I know of.

I was admitted to both med school and optometry school, and I've chosen the latter.... it's just about doing what makes you happy.... that's the bottom line. I don't see anymore reason to compare these two professions than optometry and auto mechanics.... everybody should just aim to do whatever makes them happy and fits within their life goals.

Good luck to everyone!

silverandblack :cool:

tallnconfident said:
so drbizzaro,
who by the way i see your name all over these forums, anyway, you think that one can just study from their notes and pass the boards? interesting. i'll have to take very good notes and keep them well once i start opt school.
Hello everyone it is very interesting to read everyone's comments. I just had a question of my own. There are some people who believe that optometry is a second choice to medical school. I personally purposefully chose this track as a first option but I would just like to get other future optometrists take on this idea.
thanks

tallnconfident,
for me... i was thinking about med school and optometry school... and i applied to both... i did well in the MCAT and the OAT, and was accepted to med school and opt school ....
however, i decided to go with opt school... the reason? because of a more relaxing way to raise a family... for me, i want to get married as soon as i finish school, and start a family... with med school, i would want to specialize in either opthalmology or orthopaedic surgery.... which will take too long, and would put me away from my family (due to being on call)
... optometry, in my opinion is a very relaxing career, and well worth it in the end.... plus, you get a doctorate too