Berkeley Online Extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cantstandya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this program? what is the shortest amount of time one can complete a course, i.e. 1-2 months (they give you 6 months to finish each course)? Level of difficulty (genetics, immunology, etc)?
Thanks,
Cantstandya

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have to take at least three months to complete the class. As for difficulty, I'd like to hear others' thoughts on it.

Now that I'm pretty sure I'm not getting into my #1 choice, I will likely be signing up within the next week or so.

This is sort of off topic but if you actually went to Berkeley and take a
Berkeley extention course with an "x" in the name (e.g. Anatomy X100) then it will go on your official Berkeley transcripts! This is great news if you want to increase your undergrad GPA if you have already graduated.

Just a little nugget of info from your neighborly PDizzle.....

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info PDizzle, but I would not be able to treat the online extension course like a summer course, completing it in say 1 or 2 months?

bump!

Anyone with insights to the online Biochem course please provide input!

I should've been more specific. I'm interested in feedback on the biochem online course.

Ruprick said:
I should've been more specific. I'm interested in feedback on the biochem online course.

I am currently taking the online biochem course. I am slowly taking my time with it .. man, I'm on lesson 5, and I've been registered for three months! Ok! Well, that's my problem. Anyway .. so far so good .. for a lesson, you just need to read a short lesson (a few pages) and a chapter in the textbook, then answer a few basic questions. Dr. Foreger, the professor, is really nice, and he grades the lessons in less than a day. I haven't taken any exams yet so I can't give you input on those, but so far so good.

what is the minimum amount of time you can complete the course? Can you take it as if it were a summer course, say 1-2 months?
Cantstandya

Cantstandya said:
what is the minimum amount of time you can complete the course? Can you take it as if it were a summer course, say 1-2 months?
Cantstandya

it says you can only submit one lesson a week (12 or 13 lessons) ... but i've submitted two in one week and it was fine ..

so, i think it's ok .. maybe check the website.. ok i just checked..

Students should discipline themselves to submitting at least two lessons per month; procrastination will
almost always lead to an unmanageable situation and extreme frustration. Students with a strict deadline
are urged to complete all required assignments and choose their proctor at least two months in
advance of the deadline to allow for processing of the final examination and preparation of the final transcript. In all cases the written work in the course must be submitted within 6 months or your enrollment date, as you will be locked out of your classroom at that time. Extensions will not be approved. There is a minimum residence time of three months in the class before credit can be awarded (this includes the time necessary to process your final examination and transcript); under
no circumstances will the examination be released until you have been in the class for at least two months.

Please note: The requirements for course completion are the submission of the 11 written assignments and
the successful completion of the final examination; both are necessary, neither alone is sufficient. It would be foolhardy to take the Final without careful examination of instructor comments on all of the individual lessons, which should be submitted sequentially and not all at once. You must wait for a reply from one lesson
(usually within 24 hours) before sending the next.