Berkeley Review---BIO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4everdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

How useful is TBR Bio passages? Does it contain too much detail? What's an alternative option?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

How useful is TBR Bio passages? Does it contain too much detail? What's an alternative option?

Their passages make sure you're able to integrate different concepts together which is very helpful. Also, I think you should grab EK 1001 Bio it is very helpful too.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
thanks for the advice! I was wondering how is the EK Bio 1001 Qs...does it contain 1001 discrete questions? or a total of 1001 Qs in passage based form? If somebody is using them, please let me know how it is structured and the difficulty of the qs! (including phy,gchm,ochm EK 1001 qs)

I think EK 1001 bio isn't recommended anymore (at least under the SN2ed thread) b/c it's not representative of the current MCAT. Keep in mind it was last revised in 2006 which is before the CBT started. I genuinely think TBR bio is crucial if you're a bit weak in bio and I've found it to be amazingly helpful in my prep. I know a lot of people think the cell bio book is too detailed but when I finally got around to reading it, the content honestly did a lot to help me understand bio in general and make connections b/w subjects etc. At the very least you should be doing all the TBR bio passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk about going into detail..lol I don't think blood clotting is going to be on the mcat.i don't like wasting time so I just skipped this part of the heart..

I only used BR Bio for the passages...the actual reading was too dense for me. I used EK for the content. S2N has a conversion chart showing what chapters correspond on his guide somewhere.

I think EK 1001 bio isn't recommended anymore (at least under the SN2ed thread) b/c it's not representative of the current MCAT. Keep in mind it was last revised in 2006 which is before the CBT started. I genuinely think TBR bio is crucial if you're a bit weak in bio and I've found it to be amazingly helpful in my prep. I know a lot of people think the cell bio book is too detailed but when I finally got around to reading it, the content honestly did a lot to help me understand bio in general and make connections b/w subjects etc. At the very least you should be doing all the TBR bio passages.

EK 1001 in bio is not discretes but rather passages

The best combination I saw for bio was TPRH Bio content with TPRH science workbook and Kaplan Qbank Bio for practice. I also tried TBR bio and ek 1001 bio but they weren't that good.

It is still pretty helpful. Not much has changed from the paper to CBT except the length of the exam.

I will give the generic advise around here about TBR bio...

The anatomy and physiology section is great. Very challenging and in depth, yet concise and a focus on passage based learning. I would highly recommend it.

However, most of the Cell Biology book is too much. It might be fine for someone who has already taken biochem, but it really is too in depth for those of us who haven't had more cellular molecular biology past the intro classes. I thought people were BSing about how ridiculous it was, but they aren't. It really does take everything a bit too far.